Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsStatuesToys

"THE" Collection in large Storage Facility?1830

I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I want to thank Kaptainmyke for starting this thread and everyone for their input and opinions. I have been realizing I will find myself in a similar situation at some point and had been thinking about what I will do. At least now I won't be using a storage unit.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I hope you are able to find a solution that doesn't involve you having to sell. I'm sure each and every piece has meaning and value (even if just to you) or else you wouldn't have gotten it in the first place. This can make it hard and painful to get rid of things. Good luck man. Keep it all, if you can.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke - I want to put in my 2 cents in regarding this topic.

1st- I'm a longtime collector of a lot of stuff. "Had" 10,000+ Topper Johnny Lightning Die cast cars. I wrote or co-wrote 7 price guides in the 1990's with Toy Shop (remember them?) and Krause Publications. They were made literally 5 minutes from my house in RI from 1969-1971.

"Had" original GI Joes by the box full. They were made in Pawtucket RI in the 1960's-70's and my cousin Joe was one of the original designers of Joe. He put in 30+ years there.

Collect Records and former sports cards collector /dealer.

Currently working on Real Vintage autos- Have a 66 Pontiac GTO convertible, tri-power and looking for a 1970's Dodge charger, Super bee or Dart swinger. I am selling "stuff" to buy another car.

Collect Comics- but not nearly as much as I did 20 years ago. Been collecting since 1973.

Brings me to my point - you notice "HAD" , well in 2005 I had a house fire .

My Man cave was my garage - I had rows upon rows of old Glass Candy display cases from old stores. Much of my collection was stored in the cases.Many of which were MIP , unopened- RARE. STUFF i never really played with , or held, or took out of the cases.

long and short of it was none was insured as I thought it was part of the house contents. It wasn't.

Had a 66 Pontiac in there at the time. value was 60K. Auto insurance gave me 18K (insured value at the time and I failed to bump up every year due to inflation- lesson learned).

Lesson I learned was these collectibles were only STUFF.

Family was safe and sound, that is most important.

Enjoy your STUFF. Keep what is most important to you.

sell your STUFF- make a few pennies* , take trips, make memories, buy more stuff that you really NEED.

buy a super collectible that you enjoy to see, hold, take out a daily basis.

Life is short. and aside from the old saying " The person who dies with the most toys -wins"..That is bull*..Your dead.

Enjoy your life while you can.

(Sorry for the ramble) just had to vent this here.

@kaptainmyke Make some coin, and try not to worry about the storage issue. It feels good to move the Stuff sometimes!

Good luck, Ray

(being positive, not any negativity meant or implied in my post ;-) )
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Ok kap, everyone seems to be suggesting you pare things down but I say try to keep it all. You've assembled a phenomenal collection that would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to assemble again or replicate in some way.

What about constructing shelving or using different methods of storage so the collection doesn't take up as much space? You could also place some of the less valuable collectables with a relative, if that's an option. Or lastly, and perhaps most drastically and unfeasible, you could lend some items to a museum somewhere so that you would retain ownership but they would take over storage and maintenance (if possible).

Obviously, these are just suggestions and some are not doable. But I would like to start talking about the other side of the coin -- keeping the items home -- so we can inject some positive vibes here instead of saying sell or do something else you might not be prepared to do.

After all, it's Friday!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnylray - You really now how to dampen the mood! *winks*

Sorry to hear of the calamity you had.....fires are a bitch to get over. My house had one in 2001 and it was on the 17th of Dec.....yep....right at X-mas time.

Talk about sitting around a tree in your home without power!!

Sucked.

But you are overall right about your comments.....enjoy life....material possessions are fun, worthwhile to enjoy and make people happy....but they can buy adventure if you sell some off and flip that cash into a trip, an ice cream stop, or whatever.

I'm just like you....i buy things to enjoy, but I know that a lot of my stuff is not being enjoyed, so I sell off and make others happy with a new purchase.

Giving the opp to make others happy....that is where this hobby takes me...too.

Cheers!
Post 55 IP   flag post

@ZosoRocks Thanks Brother! Sorry to hear about your fire too.
My fire was on Valentines Day/night! I can relate for sure!

Again- most collectibles are just "stuff"

Enjoy.
Ray
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke You need to do a cost/benefit/value analysis. How much will the storage unit cost vs. what will you really get out of it. Then, do an HONEST assessment and make your decision accordingly. This will sound both a bit obvious and a bit cold, but it is what you need to do. Only you can decide on if the storage unit is worth it TO YOU. Also, you have a big emotional attachment to the collection, but you really need to be objective in making your decision.

Since you asked what we would do and why. My answer would be to NOT get a storage unit. I agree with others that it just feels like throwing money away that could be better used. If it was me, I would reduce the size of my collection. Keep the 25% that I really love and sell the rest.

I have already done this once. Many years ago, we were living in a condo that we had outgrown, but weren't in the position to move to a bigger place quite yet. I first stopped buying any more comics. Then I sold off 50% of my collection for pennies on the dollar. If I had to guess, I probably got between 10%-25% of their value. As others have stated about their stories, I wasn't happy about it, but knew it had to be done.

I am actually at another crossroads right now as well. My wife has taken a job halfway across the country and has already moved. I need to stay to tie up some loose ends, sell the house, etc. It doesn't look like we'll have as much room after the move, so I'll be selling off a large part of my collection over the next several months.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you ultimately decide and how it works out.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
@kaptainmyke You need to do a cost/benefit/value analysis. How much will the storage unit cost vs. what will you really get out of it. Then, do an HONEST assessment and make your decision accordingly. This will sound both a bit obvious and a bit cold, but it is what you need to do. Only you can decide on if the storage unit is worth it TO YOU. Also, you have a big emotional attachment to the collection, but you really need to be objective in making your decision.

Since you asked what we would do and why. My answer would be to NOT get a storage unit. I agree with others that it just feels like throwing money away that could be better used. If it was me, I would reduce the size of my collection. Keep the 25% that I really love and sell the rest.

I have already done this once. Many years ago, we were living in a condo that we had outgrown, but weren't in the position to move to a bigger place quite yet. I first stopped buying any more comics. Then I sold off 50% of my collection for pennies on the dollar. If I had to guess, I probably got between 10%-25% of their value. As others have stated about their stories, I wasn't happy about it, but knew it had to be done.

I am actually at another crossroads right now as well. My wife has taken a job halfway across the country and has already moved. I need to stay to tie up some loose ends, sell the house, etc. It doesn't look like we'll have as much room after the move, so I'll be selling off a large part of my collection over the next several months.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you ultimately decide and how it works out.

"so I'll be selling off a large part of my collection over the next several months."
- email: zosorocks@rocketmail.com

:o)

Just trying to help you prepare!

;o)
Post 58 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The entire collection will remain in a safe, secure, and undisclosed location at this time.

We will instead upgrade our current small self storage unit to fit other household items to make space.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Glad you found a solution.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Nice kap.
Post 61 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
On another note, Browsing comiclink tonight, looked up what was out there for turtle books...

Who knew Turtles could get camel toe? Like, really bad frozen vagina moose-knuckle!

Post 62 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke That is great news!
Post 63 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer That cat is even scared lol
Post 64 IP   flag post
597876 64 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?