Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Facilitator Question18250

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I want to see how this plays out before I make any decisions/judgments.

PS: CBCS has a little competition. I just sent CGC a request for status on a submission I had seen nothing on for quite a while. In response I received a brush-off email saying it was never entered into their system and there is no sign it ever existed. Thanks for the backhanded accusation that I fabricated the claim. Jerks. Too bad for them I still have a link to the packing slip their website generated for me, a screenshot from their website of my submissions that clearly shows that submission #, and the tracking number from the parcel that is shown as having been delivered to their facility using their own tracking tool.

CBCS made an epic, unfathomable screw-up, am I am still stunned that it ever even happened, but at least they didn't freakin' LIE and SHIFT BLAME when they got called on it.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I want to see how this plays out before I make any decisions/judgments.

PS: CBCS has a little competition. I just sent CGC a request for status on a submission I had seen nothing on for quite a while. In response I received a brush-off email saying it was never entered into their system and there is no sign it ever existed. Thanks for the backhanded accusation that I fabricated the claim. Jerks. Too bad for them I still have a link to the packing slip their website generated for me, a screenshot from their website of my submissions that clearly shows that submission #, and the tracking number from the parcel that is shown as having been delivered to their facility using their own tracking tool.

CBCS made an epic, unfathomable screw-up, am I am still stunned that it ever even happened, but at least they didn't freakin' LIE and SHIFT BLAME when they got called on it.

Been through that myself with CGC. Good luck! I eventually got a $50 credit for complaining about them losing one of my books- which they never would admit to having lost, as it was the ONE book out of 25 that I accidentally forgot to put on my invoice. Haven't made that mistake since, as it apparently means *freebies!* to CGC employees.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
pretty sure I'm just gonna hold off on any more submissions for a wile - 3 orders in the pipeline at CBCS and 1 with CFP to make its way to CGC....maybe next year??

p.s. - still hate the way CBCS has pricing for VSP - from the add on page we have $25 for only 1 sig on a book but $30 for the first sig and $20 for additional sigs but on the main pricing page we have VSP as $20/book any date max FMV of 4k

stupidest thing I've seen in a long time and literally has me just holding my books because it is so stupid.

When you enter an order first sig jumps from $25 to $30 when you add a 2nd - and 2nd is $20 - either say 1st is $30 and 2nd is $20..or F it all and it's just $25 or $20 per sig no matter how many sigs, even better $25 for 1st and $20 for additional - why oh why does the first sig jump from $25 to $30!

It's a small thing but it points to that if they can't get even a small thing right then how will they handle other larger issues - case in point - lost 367 books - so they aren't handling the larger things well either
Post 128 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe they tossed the 367 books to clear a desk or two so we could get #SOON Magazine grading??
Post 129 IP   flag post
@SidTheSquid
Ouch! I'm sorry about your book! My submission is clearly on the packing slip, including what I valued it at. If they blow me off with a $50 dollar credit (fraction of declared value), I will NOT be a happy camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Haven't made that mistake since, as it apparently means *freebies!* to CGC employees.

I wish I could say I didn't believe that could happen, but...
Post 130 IP   flag post

Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It's great they made the announcement, but are they communicating with this customers whose books they lost or are they so disorganized that they have to do a complete audit of threefold system? It seems like this is a bad time to have your books with CBCS.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Wow. I am deeply surprised. Didn't think they had it in them.

The first step in healing...own it. Admit the mistake.

I too hope this is the direction that will make them even much better!

Hey, CBCS team...I am a Lean Manufacturing Facilitator if you need another hand to help in the mix!

Cheers!
Tim
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@50AE_DE Because those books came from a facilitator, it's unlikely they know who the owners are.

I think I read that Clan McDonald is reaching out to the owners. Hopefully they're working with CBCS and the owners to figure how to resolve this screw-up.

@Drogio started this thread because he wanted to know if any of us have done any business with Steve. Somehow it turned into a discussion on CBCS losing CMC's books. I hope he got enough feedback to help him decide if he wants to get books signed by CMC. I also hope he doesn't see this as a black eye on CMC. This is definitely a CBCS issue not a CMC problem.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarak
This is definitely a CBCS issue not a CMC problem.

YES, it has nothing to do with CMC.
Post 134 IP   flag post
@Belarak Yes, it'll be easy for CMC since he stated he kept pretty good records of what he sent, but what about other customers who submitted their own books? We already know CBCS doesn't really have a great track record of keeping good records. CBCS hasn't address whether or not it was only his books that were sent to employee's homes or if there were other people. It was mentioned in another thread that the affect orders were ones that were received in July 2021. If this is the case then that's probably going to be quite a few customers.

Whatever the case, it sucks. CMC is going to be spending a lot of hours reaching out to his customers. If CBCS had kept the books on site as they have told all customers that were concerned about their books, this would never have happened to anyone. CBCS will now have even more frustrated customers since they probably won't be able to reach anyone about their orders.

I'm sure CBCS's parent company won't be too happy with what's going on and is probably going to cost them a lot of money to reimburse these lost books and to try to recover their damaged reputation. They've lost a lot of potential returning and future customers for sure.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarak
This is definitely a CBCS issue not a CMC problem.

YES, it has nothing to do with CMC.

I agree, this has nothing to do with CMC since they're the innocent party, but they're definitely going to be impacted by with CBCS did. Hopefully CBCS will make things right for CMC and not by just replacing the missing books.
Post 136 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The question of whether or not the books are insured came up a few times. I wonder if they are going to be paying out of pocket since the books were sent off site and were "possibly" lost during that time. Or if they will claim it was on site and "possibly" misrepresent what happened to the books to keep it out of their own pockets.

Then the question of the value of books come in. They went in assuming a certain amount, over the course of a year the books may have gained value and become keys. What happens to those customers? If they are stuck with the value entered on submission date and it was lower than what it is now, what happens then? Chances are those customers are screwed. I don't see how you can give more than what was assigned during submission.

Also what happens to books that can't be replaced? For example if the books sent in were signed by Perez or some other contributor that is no longer around? Or if the books had sentimental value? Such as a final gift by a grand parent before he died? No amount of money can replace those books. I dont see how you can make right on some of those scenarios. I hope cbcs finds a way, but this mountain is going to be a huge problem I don't see a clear answer to.
Post 137 IP   flag post
@Bronte It's definitely going to cost them A LOT of time and money. Hopefully it doesn't delay TAT even longer now that they've got to try to track down these missing books. They're probably going to have to take at least two people out of workflow to figure out where the remaining books are and if they're lost/stolen.
Post 138 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't venture to guess how they do it, but they better take good notes on what they find so they can fix these possible gaps / issues so future problems don't occur again...
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

I don't see how you can give more than what was assigned during submission.

They have no issue charging more if the book that has been graded and slabbed FMV goes up after it is submitted. So, they should pay the cost to replace it.

That being said, there has to be some legalese in the agreement when books are sent in about the policy if books are lost. Noting the situation, I would hope that no one wants to use that to shield the company’s liability.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Not long ago, when max FMVs were lower, I sent in a book that skyrocketed after I sent it in but before I got it back (Spectacular Spider-Man #189 newsstand edition - came back 9.8 which is now worth some cashola - they're Very Hard to Find). It didn't get re-tiered when I got it back, even though it could have been. Similar thing happened when I sent in my Star Wars #40. I sent it in before anyone really cared that it was the first appearance of Rogue Squadron. That didn't get re-tiered either.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:
Not long ago, when max FMVs were lower, I sent in a book that skyrocketed after I sent it in but before I got it back (Spectacular Spider-Man #189 newsstand edition - came back 9.8 which is now worth some cashola - they're Very Hard to Find). It didn't get re-tiered when I got it back, even though it could have been. Similar thing happened when I sent in my Star Wars #40. I sent it in before anyone really cared that it was the first appearance of Rogue Squadron. That didn't get re-tiered either.

Hmmm, in the Vintage Plus changed to Premium after submission and payment thread clickable textyou wrote this…

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
If either work performed increased a grade to a much higher value, or the estimated grade at submission was artificially low they should indeed re-tier

If I screwed up in estimating a grade and didn't get the tier right, I would expect that the tier would be changed.
Post 142 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

Those statements were not inconsistent or contradictory.
Post 143 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

My post obviously is in reference to his first statement in which he projects the idea that he has submitted books and CBCS hasn’t re-tiered them. Which can be looked at as a defense for replacement value not being offered if some of the 600+ books that CBCS lost increased in value.

The second post in another thread is about CBCS increasing their service charge for a book that went up in value. It indicates that he would expect that the pricing tier would be changed if a book went up in value. That post seems to defend CBCS’s increase in what they charged after it was submitted.

I look at both as defending 2 different sides of the street.

I have no issue with CBCS increasing the tier and their charges if a book moves up after it was submitted. However, if it can be shown that there is a history of doing that, then they need to offer full replacement costs (based upon the FMV the day they render relief) the 600+ books that have been lost to make those owners whole.
Post 144 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater I know. Her posts were not contradictory. Different facts.

Not saying I agree or disagree.
Post 145 IP   flag post
@Towmater Is 600 the confirmed total number of books lost?
Post 146 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave They aren’t mutually exclusive of one another. Thus, the comparison can be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
@Towmater Is 600 the confirmed total number of books lost?

The other threads/posts placed it a bit higher. That’s where I got that number. I have no idea what the “official number” has been determined to be.
Post 147 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
The confirmed number of lost books was originally 367 and all were submitted by one facilitator. Due to 55 books being entered twice, the number is 312 as of last night.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Hmmm, in the Vintage Plus changed to Premium after submission and payment thread clickable textyou wrote this…

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
If either work performed increased a grade to a much higher value, or the estimated grade at submission was artificially low they should indeed re-tier

If I screwed up in estimating a grade and didn't get the tier right, I would expect that the tier would be changed.

I said 'if I screwed up in estimating a grade.' In my two examples above, I didn't screw up in estimating the grade. That wasn't the issue. The issue is that the value of the book changed due to a change in the market, not due to my grading error. Were I to make a grading error and estimate a grade as a 4.0 and it wound up being a 6.0 instead, re-tiering the book could be a possibility.

There's a difference between me screwing up and the vagaries of the marketplace taking the value of something to a place that was not anticipated.
Post 149 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
The confirmed number of lost books was originally 367 and all were submitted by one facilitator. Due to 55 books being entered twice, the number is 312 as of last night.

Thats what I understood. lol!! how do these #'s get inflated and reported then re-reported?
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:

While 312 is a lower number, that's still A Lot of books to go missing.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Thats what I understood. lol!! how do these #'s get inflated and reported then re-reported?

Yeah, I'm curious. Every thread/posting I've seen on here that mentions the number of books has said 367. Where the heck did 600+ come from?! That is a crazy-exaggerated number.
Post 152 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was 2073? J/K!!!
Ahhhhhh... the power of suggestion on social media
Post 153 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The messed up thing is I'll probably wander on to some facebook group or some other platform full of sheep/ninkompoops and see "I heard that it was 2073 books that were lost".

I'll just facepalm and move on
Post 154 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
The most outrageous one I've heard so far is a pallet of graded and slabbed comics. SMH
Post 155 IP   flag post
614879 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?