Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help Needed

Vintage Plus changed to Premium after submission and payment18243

Collector leelewis17 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone! When I was at Heroescon I submitted an order to CBCS that has just gone through the grading process and been moved to slabbing. I had a WWBN 32 in the bunch that when I submitted them was listed as Vintage Plus, but was just bumped to "Premium" and tacked 240 bucks onto my order! I tried to look on the website to figure out why it may have been changed (both categories cover up to $5000 value so that doesn't seem to be it) other than just to get more money out of the order, which was already very expensive. Anyone have any insight? Would be much appreciated!
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Vintage Plus tops out at $5000. Could the book be worth more than that?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Its WWBN 32 9 Pence Variant. I thought it was a 6.0-6.5 which, even with the rarity of the UK variant wouldn't come near 5K. I would be really shocked if what I thought was a 6.0 was >8.0.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@leelewis17
Did you get the book pressed? Could it have gotten a grade bump that you weren't expecting?

Foreign cover price variants are really starting to gain traction (finally), and a WWBN #32 with UKPV would be a serious book to have.
Post 4 IP   flag post
All of the cover imperfections were spine bends with color breaks, spine ticks, and corner bends (full bends). I didn't get it pressed. I didn't think it would do anything. I guess we'll see when I get it. I am very curious.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@leelewis17 - I could be wrong, but yes, Vintage Plus tops out at $5,000, while Premium actually is automatically applied for Comics of $5,000 value or higher, not comics that top out at $5,000. So congratulations appear to be in order.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@scifinator - your post to God's ears. That would be great. I find it hard to believe that I could be THAT wrong in UNDER-GRADING a book. Now if it was a book that I thought was an 8.0 that comes back as a 6.0...THAT would be more understandable.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Following please post up what you find out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@leelewis17
Did you get the book pressed? Could it have gotten a grade bump that you weren't expecting?

Foreign cover price variants are really starting to gain traction (finally), and a WWBN #32 with UKPV would be a serious book to have.

I don't think pressing has anything to do with values as far as submissions go. No one knows what the outcome would be plus if they damage a book, they aren't going to lower the grading fee

But if they are charging based on a pressing result, they shouldn't. And then yes, it's just to squeeze more money out of the customer.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
But if they are charging based on a pressing result, they shouldn't. And then yes, it's just to squeeze more money out of the customer.

@Sigur_Ros - I whole heartedly disagree. If either work performed increased a grade to a much higher value, or the estimated grade at submission was artificially low they should indeed re-tier & re-price the submission. Conversely, as example that it goes both ways, we have seen/heard many cases where CBCS eliminates press fees because CBCS either absolutely does not feel a press will help or may even deteriorate a grade of the comic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelewis17
@scifinator - your post to God's ears. That would be great. I find it hard to believe that I could be THAT wrong in UNDER-GRADING a book. Now if it was a book that I thought was an 8.0 that comes back as a 6.0...THAT would be more understandable.

I've both under-graded and over-graded. One is a pleasant surprise while the other is an annoyance. It's to be expected, though, 'cause I'm not a pro.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
If either work performed increased a grade to a much higher value, or the estimated grade at submission was artificially low they should indeed re-tier

If I screwed up in estimating a grade and didn't get the tier right, I would expect that the tier would be changed. I'm also certain that there are plenty of folks who under-grade on purpose to save a little cashola. To me, that's not worth it. In order to under-grade for that purpose I must also under-value, and that means there's no way insurance can cover the actual value of the book(s). I'm not having that under any circumstances, but I'm especially not having it when I'm forced to have my submissions returned to me via FedEx, a carrier I would never use if I had the choice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
when do you expect to get the book back?
Post 13 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:

@Sigur_Ros - I whole heartedly disagree. If either work performed increased a grade to a much higher value, or the estimated grade at submission was artificially low they should indeed re-tier & re-price the submission. Conversely, as example that it goes both ways, we have seen/heard many cases where CBCS eliminates press fees because CBCS either absolutely does not feel a press will help or may even deteriorate a grade of the comic.

Of course, if the estimated value by the submitter is too low, it should be adjusted. I just don't agree on the pressing. The kind they do, dry heat, isn't going to bump to a "much higher value" than a submitter estimated. This isn't the more serious pressing you find from some third parties.
Do you think they'd lower the tier fee if glossing, pebbling or a crushed spine occurred during the press? I somehow doubt it.

You're already paying extra for the press. That should be it. I just don't agree with increasing grading fees because the grader feels it increased the value.

That's like a grading co. bumping a book up to a new tier because in the year between receiving and grading, a movie was announced and a book value jumped.
That's just paying a penalty because the grading co. is slow.
Which has happened .

Anyway, I don't agree with the whole value-based pricing anyway. Why pay more for an ASM 129 than for an ASM 128?
Same size, same amount of pages, same age, should be the same amount of effort to inspect the book. They can't say they are more careful or more thorough because then their grading credibility will be affected.
But... That's just me. 👌
Post 14 IP   flag post
So, update - I got the information back on grading. The WWBN UK variant that was upgraded from Vintage Plus to Premium (and charged me $240 extra dollars to do so) was graded as a 4.0...as I said I thought it was a 6.0 (grading seems to be VERY harsh in the last 3mo compared to earlier gradings I have had). Even being generous with the UK variant that comic is worth 2000-2200 tops. So, I feel like they bumped me just to charge me extra. I'm kinda ticked. I have been happy with CBCS overall, but this is pretty disappointing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@leelewis17
I'd ask for an explanation. That sounds off to me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So, update - I got the information back on grading. The WWBN UK variant that was upgraded from Vintage Plus to Premium (and charged me $240 extra dollars to do so) was graded as a 4.0...as I said I thought it was a 6.0 (grading seems to be VERY harsh in the last 3mo compared to earlier gradings I have had). Even being generous with the UK variant that comic is worth 2000-2200 tops. So, I feel like they bumped me just to charge me extra. I'm kinda ticked. I have been happy with CBCS overall, but this is pretty disappointing.

You need to fight this surcharge.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Don't accept this.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't pay it until you get answers. When it comes to additional charges I've found them to be responsive. I had an issue with some sig charges that had to be fixed and they were fairly responsive.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
The kind they do, dry heat, isn't going to bump to a "much higher value" than a submitter estimated. This isn't the more serious pressing you find from some third parties.

@Sigur_Ros - Though not the case here, as O.P. just updated, the Press that CBCS does can indeed move the grade several points higher. As an example, if you have a full length non-color breaking crease or bend, that mid-grade comic can be pressed and end up as a 9.6-9.8.

Again, that is not the case here and @leelewis17 should get a further clarification as to why there was a re-tiering.
Post 20 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So, I feel like they bumped me just to charge me extra.
I doubt it was that. They may have just made a mistake. As so many have said, continue to pursue the issue until you get answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
I wouldn't pay it until you get answers.

And this.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

Like others said.. fight it.
But good luck getting responses.
Post 22 IP   flag post
They wouldn't ship it until I paid the balance, and they didn't post the grades until after they shipped it, but I sent in a customer support request. We'll see if I get a response.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't there some crazy extra charge for foreign books now? is it maybe that??
Post 24 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
What pricing estimator is CBCS using for fee purposes?

Ebay recent sales?
MCS recent sales?
Overstreet??

Seem like out of all of these, ebay and MCS averages would be the most accurate.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
The only logical explanation would be that you undervalued your book when you submitted it or did not identify that it is a UK variant and that bumped its “insured value”. That said; you and CBCS are the only ones who know.

If CBCS did indeed incorrectly adjust the charge then fight it. If they are wrong you deserve that charge to be corrected.

Good luck.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like BS. I'd try to argue the charge.
Post 27 IP   flag post
601481 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?