Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics ForeignComics Modern Age

9.9's and 10's from CBCS18228

Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
Question to the community:

How can I find out how many 9.9's and 10's exist in the CBCS census for Canadian Price Variants?
Hope someone can help answer my question
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think that's possible. You would have to individually search by title.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
a 9.9 is super rare. has there ever been a 10.0?

I know mint untouched usually gets 9.8

only way a 10.0 could be possible is its "graded" the moment the issue is off the press without anything touching it and slabbed

reason the best usually get 9.8 is...think of the time its been handled, shipped, touched, etc
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty sure there are a few 10s...seem to remember seeing them posted over the years
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55

only way a 10.0 could be possible is its "graded" the moment the issue is off the press without anything touching it and slabbed

reason the best usually get 9.8 is...think of the time its been handled, shipped, touched, etc

Definitely 10s exist...here's one.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks guys for replying. I wanted to screen specifically for CBCS “ Canadian Price Variants “in 9.9’s and 10’s.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know about CPV's grading that high, but I do know that in the over 1300 books I've sent in to be graded I've only had TWO 9.9's and ZERO 10.0's.

Post 7 IP   flag post
@GAC
Dayum! Nice book!
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd I keep forgetting to add the note: Not my book. lol!!🍻

Your 9.9s rock!! Nice!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
It's nothing short of a miracle to get CPVs in 9.8.

I personally havent seen anything higher than a 9.8 from both companies.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I know this strays away from the original post, but has anyone seen a 9.9 or higher that wasnt a modern. I wouldn't be surprised if those moderns were prescreened.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Hcanes there's a handful of key CPV's in 9.6 and 9.8 in the ComicLink auction taking place right now if you're looking?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Another question that never gets properly addressed is:

What premium should a graded 9.9 or 10 slab get over a 9.8 graded book?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
I know this strays away from the original post, but has anyone seen a 9.9 or higher that wasnt a modern. I wouldn't be surprised if those moderns were prescreened.

Borock has shown some. I remember one was golden age. I forget the issue. For moderns, lenticular covers are relatively more apt to get 9.9 or 10.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have a short box of 9.9 or 10 CPV
.....not graded yet and they'll probably misgrade them when I send them in... 🍺
Post 15 IP   flag post
@KatKomics ...lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes

For my two shown above, I did have pre-screen for the Spirits of Vengeance (pre-screen 9.8), but not the TMNT. Wouldn't matter anyway because I only sent in the single issues of each one. It wasn't 20 copies and only slab the 9.9+.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly

I don’t think that question has a clear answer. The ultra rare 9.9 - 10. Pre modern Key may command a premium on its own merit from those who were already looking for that high grade mega key.

9.9-10. For Moderns and Current are “common place”. More so are certain books like Batman Damned which saw quite a few 9.9s and some 10.s because of the high quality materials used. In this case we would be catering to a niche market that must have the 9.9 or 10 and will pay multiples over 9.8 values. A good example of this niche market is Spider-Man #1 (1990 series) where sold upwards of $15k for a CGC 9.9 and upwards of $20k for CGC 10.0. I forget the auction site; it may have been Comic Link; these sold on a few years ago. I did not research after sale data to find if these were legit sales or not, but they give a glaring look into how people may throw money away based on a number given to a book printed in the millions (multiple times I may add) and its twin 9.8 sibling sells for $100-150 🤷🏻‍♂️

I did exaperiment with a 9.9 Spider-verse 1 Walmart cover. I was trying to figure out this market. I listed my 9.9 at many multiples over GoCollect 9.8 FMV. I got zero offers and inquiries even after lowering the price to double 9.8 FMV all during speculation of Spider-Zero. I was mainly hopeful of inquiries to see where this buyer may stand in justification of this 9.9 to no avail. There are now 3 9.9s on the CBCS Pop Report and I haven’t seen one for sale.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Mrbryceman private msg quote post Address this user
I've only been sending in for less than 2 years and have gotten 5 9.9s out of everything I've sent in but most of the 9.9s I've had were metal covers. I did recently send in 85 books and 9 or so of them are metal covers with 1 of them being a warcorns Virgin metal that was limited to only 5 so hopefully that grades well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Mrbryceman
One of my whopping two 9.9's is a lenticular cover, another type known to grade well.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Mrbryceman private msg quote post Address this user
I did send in a small handful of those in my last submission. I had a Thanos Quest 1 that's in really good shape I'm hoping does well. But also sent in a bunch of Notti and Nyce books and Faros Lounge, Venom, Spider-Man and some LA Muerta Lady Death and some other stuff that were leather covers
Post 21 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Definitely 10s exist...here's one.

How is that even possible? only way is if Marvel gave cbcs it the moment it was printed while wearing gloves.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd Is it one from the DC Villain's Month?

Those were the neatest lenticulars IMO.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@Byrdibyrd Is it one from the DC Villain's Month?

Those were the neatest lenticulars IMO.

Those were amazing books and I wish I had more! That Spirits of Vengeance is actually a Marvel book, though. Still has a nice GSXM #1 homage cover.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
9.9 - 10 ? Fools gold invented by 3rd party marketing to create a lottery effect to keep people submitting books and chasing that fake brass ring. Sure they have to throw out a few token grades here and there. In reality their all only 9.8's or less on any other day.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly

This commands prices so high that you might even say "damn - i'll stick with a 9.8"...

Take spider-man #1 "Green torment" signed by McFarlane and Stan Lee. IVe seen them at 9.0 sell for about $400, 9.6 at $900, 9.8's between $1850 and $2k, so if there's a 10 grade, its going to get upwards of $3k. (imo).

Unless money was no object for me, id stick with the 9.8 and say the $1,000 ish to buy something else.

If you scroll through MCS or ebay, you can see how grade effects prices.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not a Canadian price variant but never miss an opportunity to show this beauty!

adian
Post 27 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Pretty sure there are a few 10s...seem to remember seeing them posted over the years

clickable text
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
9.9 - 10 ? Fools gold invented by 3rd party marketing to create a lottery effect to keep people submitting books and chasing that fake brass ring

This 100%.

The good news is folks will throw away their money and they will continue to hand them out 0.5% - 1.0% of the time. And the Royal Flush brings us right back to the one-armed bandit.
Post 29 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

9.8 is not Mint, nor "untouched".
Post 30 IP   flag post
601455 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?