Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics ForeignComics Modern Age

9.9's and 10's from CBCS18228

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros "I would hope the same approach is taken for all grades. Making sure a 6.5 didn't have issues that were missed, etc, etc."

While a few graders look at a single book, a 9.9 or a 10 needs even more eyes on it to make sure they got it correct, as the book will most likely sell for much more than a 9.8 with very little data on most prices for books in those highest of grades. It will also usually show up online at some point and it better really look like that given grade or a grading company will lose the faith of their submitters.
Post 76 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
@Sigur_Ros "I would hope the same approach is taken for all grades. Making sure a 6.5 didn't have issues that were missed, etc, etc."

While a few graders look at a single book, a 9.9 or a 10 needs even more eyes on it to make sure they got it correct, as the book will most likely sell for much more than a 9.8 with very little data on most prices for books in those highest of grades. It will also usually show up online at some point and it better really look like that given grade or a grading company will lose the faith of their submitters.

đź‘Ť
Thanks for responding Steve.
Post 77 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
@theCapraAegagrus I don't agree. Personally, having a 9.9 or 10 is like having a limited edition Ferrari or a Picasso of comic book grades. Anything in the Copper Age (or older) graded 9.9 or 10 is something to show-off and be proud to own especially if the book is an issue from a famous title that is still in production.
Just my two sense

A 10, sure. 9.9 is simply a gimmick grade.
Post 78 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
@theCapraAegagrus I don't agree. Personally, having a 9.9 or 10 is like having a limited edition Ferrari or a Picasso of comic book grades. Anything in the Copper Age (or older) graded 9.9 or 10 is something to show-off and be proud to own especially if the book is an issue from a famous title that is still in production.
Just my two sense

I do not believe that, not after grading over a million comic books.
I have no "skin" in the grading game anymore, so I am just telling you how I see it after all these years.
Heck, when I started CGC and "they" told me that we would be using 9.9 and 10 grades, I was like "No way!" as the highest I ever grade anything, mostly pedigrees, I never graded a comic above NM+ (No numbers, just nomenclature back then) and took me a few years, but I can really tell the difference these days between a true 9.9 and a 10 or 9.8
Post 79 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Just my two sense

I like graded books. That said, I truly believe that ALL encapsulated books with a number are gimmicks. There's too much deviation between books of the same grade. The entire system was designed to monetize comic books and make them more liquid.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I like graded books. That said, I truly believe that ALL encapsulated books with a number are gimmicks. There's too much deviation between books of the same grade. The entire system was designed to monetize comic books and make them more liquid.

I can't disagree with you.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector Whynotv2 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I like graded books. That said, I truly believe that ALL encapsulated books with a number are gimmicks. Theres too much deviation between books of the same grade. The entire system was designed to monetize comic books and make them more liquid.

I'm new to the grading/encapsulation game and have received books back from CGC in which I don't understand the reasoning for the grade. It's not always that I don't agree, but more that I'd like to know the why it received such a grade. So when I get a book back that's a 7.0 and in my "unprofessional" opinion thought it would be an 8.0 or 8.5, I'm just curious to know why so I can learn which is why I believe grader notes are important. Even better would be a "list" of point deductions and how they apply. The "deviation between books of the same grade" portion would make a "guide" very useful. I have a Silver Surfer #1 vol 1 graded from CGC at 1.5 and the cover is detached. It's not stapled or taped back on, just detached. Along with it are all of the other imperfections that usually come with a detached cover having book of that age...bends, creases, dings, etc. I've seen other similarly graded books that look even worse and some books that have a slightly higher (call it 2.0 - 2.5) grade but the cover is in the same/worse condition and was taped or stapled back on (and not in the "right" way either). That leads me to believe that if I crack the case, staple the cover on, and resubmit it I'd get a higher grade. Knowing what each of these flaws or "repairs" detracts and adds to a grade would be helpful. Even the higher graded stuff...send in two identical books and one comes back a 9.6 and the other a 9.4...what made the one get a .2 deduction that the other didn't and that I can't see? So between grader notes and an actual key would be awesome. I even may have mentioned it on the CGC forum at one point that it would be great if there was a sheet that graders used for their notes that looked like the car diagram you get when you rent a vehicle and circle the dings, dents, and scratches you may find. Same thing for a book that the grader makes notes on doesn't have to be perfect or anything. An example just circle the whole spine and a note that says "5 ticks no color breaks" or if the detail is warranted a single circle in the general area "tick, color break". Then that can be included as "grader notes" Hell...CBCS exec people, if you are reading this, you guys can take my idea and even add another tier (or al a carte it after grading as I'm sure plenty of people would love something like that and would pay an additional couple of bucks to pick and choose which books they received the info on.)

Sorry, wrote a wall and didn't intend to. Anyway, being able to see the thoughts and reasons and have it follow a set of rules that everyone has access to may make it less of a "gimmick" because now there's a known, quantifiable reason for the grade.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotv2
Sorry, wrote a wall and didn't intend to. Anyway, being able to see the thoughts and reasons and have it follow a set of rules that everyone has access to may make it less of a "gimmick" because now there's a known, quantifiable reason for the grade.

If everyone knew how to grade and spot restoration, CGC and CBCS (etc) would be obsolete. If they sold their notes as, "this is exactly why it received this grade", they would go out of business much quicker.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

If everyone knew how to grade and spot restoration, CGC and CBCS (etc) would be obsolete. If they sold their notes as, "this is exactly why it received this grade", they would go out of business much quicker.

Just like every "certificate of authenticity" means the signature or card/comic is genuine? I can sign a book for you as "Stan Lee" and give you a CoA, but it doesn't mean anything. In this market, at least as far as it applies to both CGC and CBCS (though CBCS does have a "verification" team) I could have a video of an artist/writer signing my book. Keep the camera on me and the book the entire time while I drive it to CBCS/CGC, hand it to them, continually record the entire process thereafter, and it won't be enough to get a "witnessed signature" notation. So no, I don't believe that providing exact notes/details would put anyone out of business. If that were the case, I could simply go get a job at CBCS/CGC as a grader, learn what I can, leave, and start my own grading company using the exact same methods as the other two (or however many grading companies there are). And all things considered, we should be told and have access to exactly why a book received a grade. We are paying for a service. Asking for and receiving an answer as to why a book was graded as it was should be acceptable. I get a test back from a teacher/professor at school and I see the grade "B" on top of it, all I have to do is flip through it and I can see why. I've paid for the class and have access to the "grade notes". I go to the grocery store and the check out girl says "You need knee replacement surgery, schedule it with my assistant bagger and we'll get you fixed up." But lady, I'm here for groceries, why does my knee need to replaced? "I'm taking some classes and know what's best." Well, just because you have a couple of classes, or in the case of grading, have some notes for the exact grade, it doesn't make you an expert. A better example, the amount of comic book stores (and individual collectors) who press comic books. The pressing queues at CBCS and CGC haven't diminished and if anything, pressing has seen a spike!

All in all, I've got to disagree with your assessment as there is value behind comics being graded by companies with reputations (even if one of them apparently sells 9.9 and 10 grades, but that recent horse has been well beaten), random people who have notes, and even any new companies that pop up out of the blue.
Post 84 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Some people think they know the meaning of the word “gimmick” but apparently do not.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Just like every "certificate of authenticity" means the signature or card/comic is genuine? I can sign a book for you as "Stan Lee" and give you a CoA, but it doesn't mean anything. In this market, at least as far as it applies to both CGC and CBCS (though CBCS does have a "verification" team) I could have a video of an artist/writer signing my book. Keep the camera on me and the book the entire time while I drive it to CBCS/CGC, hand it to them, continually record the entire process thereafter, and it won't be enough to get a "witnessed signature" notation. So no, I don't believe that providing exact notes/details would put anyone out of business. If that were the case, I could simply go get a job at CBCS/CGC as a grader, learn what I can, leave, and start my own grading company using the exact same methods as the other two (or however many grading companies there are). And all things considered, we should be told and have access to exactly why a book received a grade. We are paying for a service. Asking for and receiving an answer as to why a book was graded as it was should be acceptable. I get a test back from a teacher/professor at school and I see the grade "B" on top of it, all I have to do is flip through it and I can see why. I've paid for the class and have access to the "grade notes". I go to the grocery store and the check out girl says "You need knee replacement surgery, schedule it with my assistant bagger and we'll get you fixed up." But lady, I'm here for groceries, why does my knee need to replaced? "I'm taking some classes and know what's best." Well, just because you have a couple of classes, or in the case of grading, have some notes for the exact grade, it doesn't make you an expert. A better example, the amount of comic book stores (and individual collectors) who press comic books. The pressing queues at CBCS and CGC haven't diminished and if anything, pressing has seen a spike!

All in all, I've got to disagree with your assessment as there is value behind comics being graded by companies with reputations (even if one of them apparently sells 9.9 and 10 grades, but that recent horse has been well beaten), random people who have notes, and even any new companies that pop up out of the blue.

TBH, I have no idea what this whataboutism is all about. CGC and CBCS are not in business to teach their consumers how to grade, because that would lose them business. This tangent about COAs and signatures is completely unrelated.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
TBH, I have no idea what this whataboutism is all about. CGC and CBCS are not in business to teach their consumers how to grade, because that would lose them business. This tangent about COAs and signatures is completely unrelated.

My long winded point...how would it lose them business? A signature COA or the COA with a "genuine" book doesn't lose them business because most people don't care about them. They only care about the number on the sealed slab and which company's name is on the label. If I went to "grading school", or even worked for CBCS/CGC and was taught grading, then began offering my services would it honestly lose CBCS/CGC business? If you believe that it will, I'll have a few dozen long boxes full with nothing but 9.8 and 9.9 (with a few 10's in each) that I'm going to be selling later in the week. So no, the "tangent" is not unrelated at all. It's a rather good example illustrating that people care about the company's name/reputation. Sure, maybe in 5 or 6 years a customer who knew how to grade to the "standard" may take some money from CBCS/CGC, but it would be a drop in the bucket and they'd have to offer something that CBCS doesn't (faster turnaround times) and CGC doesn't (integrity, after the Ultimate Fallout 4 9.9/10 incident) at a competitive price point.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If I went to "grading school", or even worked for CBCS/CGC and was taught grading, then began offering my services would it honestly lose CBCS/CGC business?

No, it would not, and for multiple reasons. One is that if a 3rd-party grader is going to offer a 'grading course/school' for collectors, there's no way a few hours of coursework is magically going to turn Joe Collector into a pro. Another is that even if Joe Collector winds up being the Grading Savant Extraordinaire, it will take years of building a reputation before any substantial number of customers will risk using Joe's services, and this doesn't even take into account the cost, time, and expertise needed to invent, engineer, and mass-produce a new slab and set up a new business.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
If I went to "grading school", or even worked for CBCS/CGC and was taught grading, then began offering my services would it honestly lose CBCS/CGC business?

No, it would not, and for multiple reasons. One is that if a 3rd-party grader is going to offer a 'grading course/school' for collectors, there's no way a few hours of coursework is magically going to turn Joe Collector into a pro. Another is that even if Joe Collector winds up being the Grading Savant Extraordinaire, it will take years of building a reputation before any substantial number of customers will risk using Joe's services, and this doesn't even take into account the cost, time, and expertise needed to invent, engineer, and mass-produce a new slab and set up a new business.

Exactly my point
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
Curious to know if there's anyone here on the board that has a Canadian Price Variant in either 9.9 or 10?
Post 90 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
9.9's & 10's are the Royal Flush's of one armed bandits. They keep people coming back for more.

to me they're a royal flush too; as in I flush them onto Ebay for some poor soul who is bamboozled into thinking there is a difference
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
My long winded point...how would it lose them business? A signature COA or the COA with a "genuine" book doesn't lose them business because most people don't care about them. They only care about the number on the sealed slab and which company's name is on the label. If I went to "grading school", or even worked for CBCS/CGC and was taught grading, then began offering my services would it honestly lose CBCS/CGC business? If you believe that it will, I'll have a few dozen long boxes full with nothing but 9.8 and 9.9 (with a few 10's in each) that I'm going to be selling later in the week. So no, the "tangent" is not unrelated at all. It's a rather good example illustrating that people care about the company's name/reputation. Sure, maybe in 5 or 6 years a customer who knew how to grade to the "standard" may take some money from CBCS/CGC, but it would be a drop in the bucket and they'd have to offer something that CBCS doesn't (faster turnaround times) and CGC doesn't (integrity, after the Ultimate Fallout 4 9.9/10 incident) at a competitive price point.

For starters, your "point" is a false equivalence (therefor unrelated, as previously conveyed), at least when it comes to CGC's Signature Series. COAs don't suggest that someone actually witnessed a signature.

You seem to be thinking under the guise of, "people who learn how to grade will start a competing business", which isn't the point. Think about why people send comics to get graded in the first place.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
For starters, your "point" is a false equivalence (therefor unrelated, as previously conveyed), at least when it comes to CGC's Signature Series. COAs don't suggest that someone actually witnessed a signature.

You seem to be thinking under the guise of, "people who learn how to grade will start a competing business", which isn't the point. Think about why people send comics to get graded in the first place.

My "point" is an example that has relevance. It is also my opinion. "There are two type of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from the data." You seem to be the other type.

Let me think about why people send comics to be graded. *Jeopardy music* What is, to potentially increase the book's value for eventual resale?" Which is the most likely answer and as such, the integrity of the grader matters. So again, other folk learning to grade (or as my original intent was and has been twisted out of context was to better understand what makes a grade, ie. how many and what sized ticks constitute a tenth or half point deduction, how a color break tick affects a grade vs a non color breaking tick...) WILL NOT take any revenue from CBCS/CGC because that person doesn't have the backing of years/decades and tens of thousands of books/collectibles that have been graded behind them.

Send me some of your books to be graded. Include a check for $10 per book. I'll cover the return shipping and have them back to you in a few days time with grades for each printed on an Avery label stuck to a top loader. For an extra $10 per book, I'll upgrade the grades to a 9.9 regardless of the condition and for an extra $20 per book they'll be graded as 10s. After you receive the graded books please let me know of how you successfully sold them at a higher price due to them being graded. When that happens, I will concede that people who don't have established companies with "proven" track records that are accepted by the collector's community will indeed affect the revenue generated from CBCS/CGC.

Now if that's not the point, please do enlighten me (I'm now asking a second time) on how people who learned to better grade/understand based on CBCS/CGC practices for grading would affect revenue generation by CBCS/CGC? I'll even give you one minor scenario...they *may* lose a little revenue from prescreening on newer books, but doubtful that it would be much.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
My "point" is an example that has relevance. It is also my opinion. "There are two type of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from the data." You seem to be the other type.

Let me think about why people send comics to be graded. *Jeopardy music* What is, to potentially increase the book's value for eventual resale?" Which is the most likely answer and as such, the integrity of the grader matters. So again, other folk learning to grade (or as my original intent was and has been twisted out of context was to better understand what makes a grade, ie. how many and what sized ticks constitute a tenth or half point deduction, how a color break tick affects a grade vs a non color breaking tick...) WILL NOT take any revenue from CBCS/CGC because that person doesn't have the backing of years/decades and tens of thousands of books/collectibles that have been graded behind them.

Send me some of your books to be graded. Include a check for $10 per book. I'll cover the return shipping and have them back to you in a few days time with grades for each printed on an Avery label stuck to a top loader. For an extra $10 per book, I'll upgrade the grades to a 9.9 regardless of the condition and for an extra $20 per book they'll be graded as 10s. After you receive the graded books please let me know of how you successfully sold them at a higher price due to them being graded. When that happens, I will concede that people who don't have established companies with "proven" track records that are accepted by the collector's community will indeed affect the revenue generated from CBCS/CGC.

Now if that's not the point, please do enlighten me (I'm now asking a second time) on how people who learned to better grade/understand based on CBCS/CGC practices for grading would affect revenue generation by CBCS/CGC? I'll even give you one minor scenario...they *may* lose a little revenue from prescreening on newer books, but doubtful that it would be much.

No, your "point" is a logical fallacy, leading to nothing for me to discuss.
Post 94 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Send me some of your books to be graded. Include a check for $10 per book. I'll cover the return shipping and have them back to you in a few days time with grades for each printed on an Avery label stuck to a top loader.

But what font will the grade be printed in? Hate to rule out pedantic, I mean potential buyers. And will it have a cool hologram?

Quote:
For an extra $10 per book, I'll upgrade the grades to a 9.9 regardless of the condition and for an extra $20 per book they'll be graded as 10s.

Wait.. you sure you don't already work for CGC ?!
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector classicaaron private msg quote post Address this user
the fact that no grading company will come out with a checklist to know what qualifies for each different grade shows to me the grades are arbitrary and mean relatively little. why is it so hard to just say what defect, or what lack of defect makes a 9.8 vs a 9.6. its all a big game.
Post 96 IP   flag post
@classicaaron
A grading company's specific grading parameters would be proprietary information, so it's a matter of course that they won't release particulars on that, but for the standards recognised throughout the industry, just pick up a copy of the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics. That's the foundation it's all built on and that's a readily available publication that remains in print in some form. Check it out if you want the basics.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure I would ever pay the huge premium for a 9.9 or 10. Maybe a newer book for fun.

I’ve had 9.8 books that have received damage in the slab just coming back to me and I’ve regretted sending them out.

That Hulk 181 doesn’t look perfect. Any shifting in the slab and your toast. How many Giant Size X-Men 1’s have been damaged in a slab? I think you would be surprised.

9.2 is my go to grade, safe enough to crack and read.
Post 98 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaaron
its all a big game.

Yep yep yep... create the mystery; call it propietary - and do not pass go. The sheep will come
Post 99 IP   flag post
I'm not planning on shelling out for a 9.9 or a 10. For me it's more about whether one of my own books will grade that high.
Post 100 IP   flag post
600861 100 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?