Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I feel the need to state our position on the topic.

If a book has an acetate cover attached to it with staples, the grade it would receive from CBCS is based on the grade of the book if the acetate cover were removed. In the scenario discussed in this thread, the book would probably top out around a 7.0 because of the additional holes in the book created by the staples. The attached acetate cover and additional staples would be noted at the bottom of the label.

This is, of course, if the book in question is a "manufactured variant" by a third party and not an actual solicited variant that was produced by the publisher.
Post 151 IP   flag post
And I'll add that the comic would be identified as the base comic. We would not give a variant name to a book that was not an intended variant produced by the publisher.
Post 152 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Makes sense to me
Post 153 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Exactly, that's what a true impartial third party grading company would do!
Post 154 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts
Thank you. I appreciate knowing that. I feel that's exactly as it should be.
Post 155 IP   flag post

@southerncross We're just scorekeepers. We're not on the field playing the game.
Post 156 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@southerncross We're just scorekeepers. We're not on the field playing the game.

lol...I hear in some sports the refs and score keepers can be "influenced" to change the outcome...that's right Olympic figure skating judges and FIFA refs.....I'm talking about you!!
Post 157 IP   flag post
@KatKomics If the "influence" is green paper and you attach it to the comic with staples, we will downgrade appropriately for it.
Post 158 IP   flag post
Quote:
@KatKomics If the "influence" is green paper and you attach it to the comic with staples, we will downgrade appropriately for it.

LOLLLL!!!
Post 159 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

gotcha. painters tape it is!
Post 160 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Easier to share.

Post 161 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
it's good to see that Black Flag has learned from this and are releasing another exclusive acetate cover in Boston this weekend.
Clayton Crain has cancelled his Boston appearance as well.

Post 162 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
According to the CGC web site, it’s an official partnership.

“CGC has partnered with Big Time Collectibles to release its first-ever set of exclusive variant covers!”
Post 163 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
it's good to see that Black Flag has learned from this and are releasing another exclusive acetate cover in Boston this weekend.
Clayton Crain has cancelled his Boston appearance as well.

That seems incorrect. It reads differently than the post earlier in this thread.
They said 100 set aside for collectors, which must mean the rest of the 350, or some of the rest, available for sellers up to 10 issues max.
Post 164 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
According to the CGC web site, it’s an official partnership.

“CGC has partnered with Big Time Collectibles to release its first-ever set of exclusive variant covers!”

I don't think Big Time and Black Flag are the same folks (I could be wrong if we're looking at the comics industry version of a Deep State, which is not outside the realm of possibility). Also, all the CGC exclusive variant covers that I saw had Batman on them.
Post 165 IP   flag post
Found this on Twitter.

Post 166 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
reading through the CGC forum the more concerning thing is the connections being drawn to 9.8 - 10.0 grades potentially being pre-bought.

Apparently the boston run of black flags next 'special' comics are already on the census with similar amounts of high grades.

this is not an isolated issue. for me , credibility = gone. i will not pay extra for a CGC slabbed comic over a raw.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
this is not an isolated issue. for me , credibility = gone. i will not pay extra for a CGC slabbed comic over a raw.

I'm with you. I was considering looking at costs vs. TATs and seeing if I wanted to start making submissions to CGC again, but not anymore. All they get from me now are books I want signed by someone I can't pass up, and underground/adult books that CBCS won't slab.
Post 168 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Found this on Twitter.

What about books from Jay Company?
Post 169 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I don’t get all the uproar over this. If ya don’t like it then don’t buy it.

its a modified comic ( stapled extra cover by a shop owner ) getting 9.9 and 10.0 blue labels from CGC

What happened is bordering on fraud. The shop owner cobbles together a fake variant with no permission from original creators/publisher, and then enlists CGC to give it an air of legitimacy so they can fleece fans. Just because some people are suckers doesn't make it okay to screw them over.

Again, what’s the uproar about? Your post or Wraith’s are rehashes of the situation or opinions on the situation. People are aware of the situation, and can vote with their wallets. The market will decide if the book in question is sought after or not.
Post 170 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Found this on Twitter.

What about books from Jay Company?

Well, I found this thread, rejected book, from about three years ago. Here's the comment. I do not know CBCS's previous stance on them, but I'd say they either no longer grade them or grade them accordingly.

Post 171 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
That grade them at least as recently as last year.

Post 172 IP   flag post
We will grade books that are official Jay Company variants. We will not grade the "Museum Edition" manufactured variants.
Post 173 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
That grade them at least as recently as last year.

I guess I don't know what the issue is. Both MCS and CBR list them as second printings and Jay Company exclusive variants. There's a trade dress and a virgin variant.

Post 174 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts How's it going at that "DOPE" new facility you are in now?
Hope things are shaping up just as you envisioned them to be.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

its a modified comic ( stapled extra cover by a shop owner ) getting 9.9 and 10.0 blue labels from CGC

What happened is bordering on fraud. The shop owner cobbles together a fake variant with no permission from original creators/publisher, and then enlists CGC to give it an air of legitimacy so they can fleece fans. Just because some people are suckers doesn't make it okay to screw them over.

Again, what’s the uproar about? Your post or Wraith’s are rehashes of the situation or opinions on the situation. People are aware of the situation, and can vote with their wallets. The market will decide if the book in question is sought after or not.

what you are saying is arguably fair argument for this week / short term while its a hot topic and everyone is in the know.

but what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks . The natural assumption ( if CGC credibility hasnt crashed and burned ) is is a legit issue from publisher and not a hack and slash done by a retailer trying to make a buck back in the 2020's
Post 176 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks
Hopefully that person does his homework. If not, it will be a learning curve...
Post 177 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
but what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks . The natural assumption ( if CGC credibility hasnt crashed and burned ) is is a legit issue from publisher and not a hack and slash done by a retailer trying to make a buck back in the 2020's

I was thinking of a similar thing. CGC wrong labeling takes what is essentially an underground hybrid comic book and makes it a Marvel Variant for posterity. This is why it's different from a sketch variant. A sketch variant doesn't become a new and different item by nature of putting a sketch on it. I honestly say CGC, and CGC alone, is the party in the wrong here. They are wrongly certifying the book. Basically rewriting history by doing so.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks
Hopefully that person does his homework. If not, it will be a learning curve...
which is entirely against the point of a certified comic.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

what you are saying is arguably fair argument for this week / short term while its a hot topic and everyone is in the know.

both valid points. I lean toward @Wraith s for the same concerns. I see future buyers getting burned like current buyers getting burned with unverifiable signatures of people who have passed away, undisclosed or forgotten restoration, even pedigrees that lost their trustworthiness (for lack of a better term). All the things 3rd party grading is supposed to alleviate for both the seller and buyer. When 3rd parties go rogue and sellers are less than honest buyers never win. Even if you can return a book it returns to circulation and the cycle continues until it land in the hands of the naïve.
Post 180 IP   flag post
601480 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?