Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 part 218057

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Why would trade dress sell out before virgin? I dont think I've ever seen this happen on any title or variant ever....

because Trade Dress is better
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Why would trade dress sell out before virgin? I dont think I've ever seen this happen on any title or variant ever....

I had no idea that was out, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I managed to get a signed virgin.
Post 52 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Is anyone besides @wmorse aware of this? Or maybe the better question is, am I the only one that wasn't aware of this?

https://screenrant.com/hulk-joker-victor-hugo-weird-connection/
Post 53 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

virgins are over rated??
Post 54 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

virgins are over rated??

Unless you're a pagan sacrifice.
Post 55 IP   flag post

No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone remember this guy... "Humungous"
He was a professional wrestler in Memphis in the late 70's through the mid 80's.

The original person to portray "Lord Humungous" was Mike Stark in 1984.
Mike was just that, Humungous...
I know because he was the assistant football coach in my jr. year in high school in Memphis.

One day, in home room, (which was in a detached gymnasium) I showed up early to shoot some hoop with the boys in my home room as we often did. And the football coach "Burnham" was over at the weights with some bid dude getting in a morning workout. The gym only had 600 lbs of weights, and they were all on one bar.
He squatted that weight several times. Each time letting out a roar... Was a sight to see. We stopped playing to watch.

Then a few weeks later, I was coming out of the office one day (in trouble for something again) and there he was, walked right passed me. No one else was in the halls as class was in.
So after he got about 30+ feet away, I, in my usual brazen self, hollered out "HUMUNGOUS".....
Oh snap..... He turned around and said "come here"... uh oh...

So I walked up to the mountain of a man and told me "don't call me that". Along with some dissertation as to why and we went our ways. Shewee that could have been a lot worse lol.....

I don't know if I have ever met anyone that massive since.
Here's some more info if interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Humongous

https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/1448661

Post 56 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
@Nearmint67 Now I know where Demolition stole their outfits from!
Post 57 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
@Nearmint67 Now I know where Demolition stole their outfits from!

He got it from the Road Warrior Lord Humungous.

Post 58 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Exactly...
Post 59 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
So. Back a year or so ago @batman66 held an auction for Jesse. After a CCS pressing the results yielded a cgc 8.5. It will be a few more days before I have book in hand.

No mention of centerfold.

Many thanks to @batman66....

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/14947/page/1/conan-1-up-for-auction-for-jesse/
Post 60 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
So i had a book that looked like it had double covers. I bought it because it was listed as double covers. Sent to cgc as an error because they didn't list it as such. Here is their explanation. Does this make any sense?

Edit
The book was venom 2

For this book, every copy was manufactured with a glossy out cover and a less-glossy interior cover, both with different ads on the inside. CGC will only label a book as "Double Cover" when it was mistakenly given two of the same cover. Because this book was purposefully made this way, CGC does not make any special notation for it on our label.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte
'Double cover' is an error in which two of the same cover are mistakenly on a book. What you're describing as a book purposely bound with two dissimilar covers is supposed to be a DUAL COVER, but a lot of sellers really don't get the distinction and only use the term 'double cover' regardless of whether the book is supposed to have two covers or not. I wish folks would get their terminology down, because it's unfair to the buyer when the incorrect term is used.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Ok. I bought the book thinking it was a double cover and paid a premium for it. Live and learn I guess. Too bad cgc took 1.5 years to tell me. I can't even contact the seller to let them know. Not that they should do anything given the time elapsed....
Post 63 IP   flag post
Here's one of my books that has a double cover:

Here's one (my only one) with a triple cover:

Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok. I bought the book thinking it was a double cover and paid a premium for it. Live and learn I guess. Too bad cgc took 1.5 years to tell me. I can't even contact the seller to let them know. Not that they should do anything given the time elapsed....

I'm sorry you didn't have what you thought you did! I'm really fond of error covers and misprints and the like, so I do have a few. One thing I would never do is buy a book with a 'double cover' if I can't either see the book myself and confirm the double cover, or have the seller provide a photo that clearly shows the double cover.
Post 65 IP   flag post
They showed the interior cover and I looked at it before I mailed it to cgc. It looked identical however I didn't think to look at the back of the cover to notice the ads are apparently different?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Very cool books btw
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Very cool books btw

Thanks! I have a few more:

There's also

I also have a nice Batman #440 with a double cover, but that one is away getting signed by Marv Wolfman. We'll see how it looks when it comes back. Eventually.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
They showed the interior cover and I looked at it before I mailed it to cgc. It looked identical however I didn't think to look at the back of the cover to notice the ads are apparently different?

That's weird! Usually dual covers are obviously different. That's the entire purpose to having dual covers!
Post 69 IP   flag post

Post 70 IP   flag post
My only double cover. I learned that the covers don't necessarily dictate the grade if the book. The grade is neither of the covers grades....

Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:

I can definitely see how that could be mistaken for a double cover! Even the seller may not have known. To be honest, that's a little uncool on the part of the publisher.
Post 72 IP   flag post
@Bronte
That WDC&S is cool! There must be an interior defect that dictates the book's grade can go no higher than 4.5. Still very cool, though!
Post 73 IP   flag post
There's a guy on ebay selling a book claiming double cover, I pasted CGC response to him. Not sure what he will do. Just thought I'd educate him on what I just learned.....
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
There's a guy on ebay selling a book claiming double cover, I pasted CGC response to him. Not sure what he will do. Just thought I'd educate him on what I just learned.....

That's exactly right. That book is very VERY deceptive. That's a shame, because it just screws over a lot of people for no reason. I cannot fathom why the two nearly identical covers would be on that book! To what end?!
Post 75 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This appears to be a "The Comic Mint" variant. I would contact them to double check on this. I have a feeling that one cover might have a TCM logo and the other cover will have "sister company" logo. I'd want to make absolutely certain it was supposed to be that way if it were my book.
Post 76 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O
I still can't figure out what it's supposed to be doing if that's on purpose...
It is worth looking in to because it makes no sense.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I emailed comic mint to ask them. Who knows if they can even remember nearly 2 years ago though....

I'll update when I get a response. Thank you Jesse for suggesting this course of action. Especially if I have to pay shipping 3x ob this stupid book.....
Post 78 IP   flag post
Okay, this is odd. Apparently there's more than one Venom #2 variant that's having this problem. There's the 'Comic Mint' variant mentioned above, and I've just seen an 'Unknown Comics' variant by Tyler Kirkham that may have the same 'dual/double cover' issue. WTF...?
Post 79 IP   flag post
The guy on ebay. Said oh sh@## its not a double cover.

I told him as a customer I'd be pissed if I submitted it as a double cover and it didn't come back as such. I told him to do whatever, and good luck with sale. I am hoping he removes it from his description so others aren't ripped off.....
Post 80 IP   flag post
614867 999 30