Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS PressingGrading Help Needed

CBCS Pressing and Grading Disaster17633

Collector ShoddyShortBox private msg quote post Address this user
I sent this in for a press and grade and recently got it back. It was submitted in immaculate condition but for a single fingerbend at the top edge that I figured could press out for a high nine. The bend was pressed out, yes, but it was also replaced with a far worse ripply area that I assume to be an artifact of the pressing process since it's exactly where the original bend was. Any guess as to what the grade reduction was for this localized manufactured defect?

Post 1 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 4, Ramos variant. Great cover.
You sure you didn't miss something?
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That doesn't seem to be a "disaster" to me. Rippling, if that's what it is, isn't all that uncommon and will easily press out.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
That doesn't seem to be a "disaster" to me. Rippling, if that's what it is, isn't all that uncommon and will easily press out.

Pressed out after it's been pressed already?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@ticktocktyler I don't see why not. Sometimes pressable defects come back. Maybe it got pressed right, sat around for six months, and had imperfections resurface before it was graded.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Are we talking about the “waves”? If so, put a freshly pressed book in a Mylar and full back. The way it’s held just causes to not lay like a sheet of glass. I suspect the inner well would replicate this “defect”.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@ticktocktyler I don't see why not. Sometimes pressable defects come back. Maybe it got pressed right, sat around for six months, and had imperfections resurface before it was graded.

Maybe. The OP said recently so I figured this is all new. Traded one defect for another one.

Maybe it's in the holder too snugly.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hi everyone, I just got this back as in this week. It's not the holder, it's what looks like a spot press but wasn't flattened out afterwards or something.

Anyway, it's a 9.8 😒
Post 8 IP   flag post
A spot press wouldn't go thru all the pages.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

Thanks, I'd respond but mod will close the thread.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyShortBox
Quote:

You could be right. It's way worse than the thread title on a 9.8.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the wave of a typical new marvel book. I can’t see what you submitted; I only see the wonky materials used by Marvel’s printers. Hardly a disaster. If you’re not happy send it back so they can “fix” it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
I think you're trying to make an issue where an issue doesn't exist.

Rarely see someone call a 9.8 a "grading disaster" on a book with a light wave.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

You may be right. CBCS complaint threads have been locked before.

A CGC book was recently being ripped on for having waves (more than this for sure)- Here your very first response suggests maybe you missed something LOL

You might want to just start smiling and say you'll happily send it through the mail once again, hoping it remains a 9.8, and makes it back to you as a 9.8 after another voyage. Congrats!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
You may be right. CBCS complaint threads have been locked before.

He wanted to talk about pressing technique. It's against the rules and he knew better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
A CGC book was recently being ripped on for having waves (more than this for sure)- Here your very first response suggests maybe you missed something LOL

It wasn't suggesting anything. It was a question.

On a thread that sat ignored for 4 hours.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
On a weekday?!?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I labeled this a pressing and grading disaster because of the overall experience and what that may forebode or confirm within a paranoid framework...

I posted this only after learning of The Exodus, which acted to legitimize my fear of a broader Decline In The Organization as exhibited by the occurrence:

-I asked for a press-screen
-They decided to press it
-They botched the press
-They gave me a 9.8 anyway.

That's some CGC-style activity and some CGC-level leniency, not on-brand for CBCS in my experience.

I'm not upset at having gained this 9.8 graded book. I'm disappointed in the larger issue of introducing a defect then essentially ignoring it for the grade that someone should have received had there not been an error. It makes me doubt the level of separation between grader and presser, or perhaps I'm just disappointed with the idea that a CBCS 9.8 is now on par with CGC 9.8 in this cherry-picked instance.

This isn't production ripple; I am the original owner of all ten copies that I acquired at the time and the books were purchased FLAT. The localized waviness is a specific kind of introduced defect that can result from myriad procedures and it appears precisely in the area where the original defect was, and on what began as a non-wavy book.

Thanks for all of the feedback 🥳
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Looks like the wave of a typical new marvel book. I can’t see what you submitted; I only see the wonky materials used by Marvel’s printers. Hardly a disaster. If you’re not happy send it back so they can “fix” it.

All my marvels for past ...3? 5? years have this waviness and it often "unpresses". On several occasions it has presented some time after purchase. Quote:
I labeled this a pressing and grading disaster because of the overall experience and what that may forebode or confirm within a paranoid framework...

I posted this only after learning of The Exodus, which acted to legitimize my fear of a broader Decline In The Organization as exhibited by the occurrence:

-I asked for a press-screen
-They decided to press it
-They botched the press
-They gave me a 9.8 anyway.

That's some CGC-style activity and some CGC-level leniency, not on-brand for CBCS in my experience.

I'm not upset at having gained this 9.8 graded book. I'm disappointed in the larger issue of introducing a defect then essentially ignoring it for the grade that someone should have received had there not been an error. It makes me doubt the level of separation between grader and presser, or perhaps I'm just disappointed with the idea that a CBCS 9.8 is now on par with CGC 9.8 in this cherry-picked instance.

This isn't production ripple; I am the original owner of all ten copies that I acquired at the time and the books were purchased FLAT. The localized waviness is a specific kind of introduced defect that can result from myriad procedures and it appears precisely in the area where the original defect was, and on what began as a non-wavy book.

Thanks for all of the feedback 🥳

Um.....OK, sorry everyone didn't just jump on the bandwagon. To summarize, you think CBCS damaged your book and then gave you a fake, elevated grade to make up for moving it through press screening?
Post 18 IP   flag post
You showed a single picture that looks like typical Marvel ripple. You say it's not, but maybe to the graders it looks like typical Marvel ripple. The graders don't know what the pressers have done to the books before they receive them and those ripples are present on a lot of 9.8 books, from all grading services.

You asked for pressing of a finger bend. The finger bend is gone and now it looks like most Marvel books. So I guess I'm failing to see the "botched press", or "pressing and grading disaster".

And I'm not defending CBCS here. I've never used them for pressing. No reason not to except for TAT, but I used CGC/CCS twice on one book and it still needs a press. Thanks to them I vowed to go 3rd party only.

"I posted this only after learning of The Exodus, which acted to legitimize my fear of a broader Decline In The Organization"

Maybe it's just me but it seems you have something deeper going on and used this Marvel ripple as your outlet.
Anyway, good luck 👍
Post 19 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
i never bought into the idea of pressing comics

never liked it
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
i never bought into the idea of pressing comics

never liked it

Same here. I do like the before and after pictures but no matter how anyone rationalizes it, it's resto pure and simple.

I argued that point on a CGC thread once and was told it is not. Then, a presser got on board and topically explained the process which just made it worse in my mind.

"It isn't like we are aqueous cover cleaning. We use our own 'secret' solution in an almost steam press manner."

Oh. Is part of the "secret" solution a liquid? Because in all liquids I know of, water is a base. Or it wouldn't be liquid. It would be part of the other two thingys that make up our universal triad, solids and gasses. Water cannot be a gas. It can be made into steam, though. And AFAIK, steam isn't a gas. No answer other than "We cannot reveal our techniques." Uh huh. Ok. So, aqueous it is.

I have seen some really beautiful examples in before and after photos. In many photos, dirt and scuffiness are gone as well as the dents, lines and non color breaking bends.

And I REALLY have no issue with that. I DO take issue with the fact that if I have a cover cleaned using an aqueous solution, I get the Purp if it's CGC and a little extra label reading if it's CBCS. I feel a lot of remarkable books have gotten the ol' purple veined shaft for no other reason than steam or a water based chemical bath was used to remove the dirt a Pharaoh trod upon.

Maybe I am all wrong about the pressing process but at some point, there must be liquid, high heat and pressure involved. And if so, I don't like the double standard. High pressure isn't removing dirt and accumulated ickies from covers.

I always found it suspect that pressing is a big money maker for both grading companies. And the rules can be bent or dismissed altogether to achieve a desired end. If anyone ever decides to convene a tribunal and declare all pressed books are now considered restored, there will be big trouble.

With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "C"
That stands for "Comics"
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
You showed a single picture that looks like typical Marvel ripple. You say it's not, but maybe to the graders it looks like typical Marvel ripple. The graders don't know what the pressers have done to the books before they receive them and those ripples are present on a lot of 9.8 books, from all grading services.

You asked for pressing of a finger bend. The finger bend is gone and now it looks like most Marvel books. So I guess I'm failing to see the "botched press", or "pressing and grading disaster".

And I'm not defending CBCS here. I've never used them for pressing. No reason not to except for TAT, but I used CGC/CCS twice on one book and it still needs a press. Thanks to them I vowed to go 3rd party only.

"I posted this only after learning of The Exodus, which acted to legitimize my fear of a broader Decline In The Organization"

Maybe it's just me but it seems you have something deeper going on and used this Marvel ripple as your outlet.
Anyway, good luck 👍

I apologize for the poor writing. I was trying to mix genuine quality concerns into some kind of satire of what I recall seeing on the board lately regarding conspiracy. Actually, it may have just been one person whose posts I see often, I honestly don't recall. Regardless, the attempt didn't work, so, sorry about that.

I agree that it would be weird to be upset with a 9.8; I'm not and I'm definitely not looking to have it addressed with CBCS. This was a concern about grading accuracy in general from CBCS and what I can expect from future submissions. I should have considered the fact that because I don't normally deal with modern-moderns, I don't really know how they're treated when it comes to 9.8s, I'm familiar with the Marvel ripple (I first saw it on the Star Wars books from 2015-ish?), but on the 40 or 50 reeeaaallly modern 9.8s that I've seen in person, I didn't see ripple on them. A small sample size for sure, but when combined with all of the non-modern 9.8s I've seen, it makes more sense I think.

If you have examples on hand of 9.8s that have ripple, I really would like to see them so I can adjust my grading barometer for moderns. This submission was a one-off deal due to the Silk speculation bump and not the age I would normally be submitting. Based on what I usually buy, I shouldn't even have these books honestly, but I couldn't pass up $1.50 each at the time. Thanks in advance for any examples you may have.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600911 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?