Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS PressingCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPSignatures

CBCS Howard Chaykin CBCS Mail-In Signing17204

Collector sdr2711 private msg quote post Address this user
So... I have a Star Wars #1 I was thinking to send in for this signing.

Is it wise to use the pressing? Fast Pressing? Screen?

Safe to assume it will be sent for grading after.

This is a special book to me and I could use some input being the noob.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I press after a signing because the book gets 'handled' when it's being signed. It's also a good idea to press screen, just in case a book isn't a good candidate for pressing. Also, given the TATs lately I'll recommend fast pressing. It seems the logjam there is pretty epic!
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @sdr2711.

It's difficult to answer your pressing question since only you can determine whether it's wise to use it. I think folks here on the forum can provide you with information to help you make the decision, though.

First, understand that the pressing of a comic CAN actually cause damage to the book. With that said, I have had very good luck using CBCS to press books.

Second, understand that, if you do have your book pressed, it will slow down the return of your book to you as it does add a number of weeks to the processing time. So, if you need the book in a hurry, you might to avoid pressing.

I would suggest ALWAYS paying for a press screen for any book you submit for pressing. You might save some money since, if your comic doesn't pass the screen the book wouldn't be pressed.

Paying extra for fast press cuts turnaround times FOR PRESSING ONLY in about half (although I'm not sure of the current turnaround time for fast press vs. "slow" press). CBCS posts this information on their website.

Assuming you choose to have the book pressed it would be graded after pressing.

Good luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Personally, I press after a signing because the book gets 'handled' when it's being signed. It's also a good idea to press the screen, just in case a book isn't a good candidate for pressing. Also, given the TATs lately I'll recommend fast pressing. It seems the logjam there is pretty epic!

Ok, understood.

So that leads to more questions:

1) If I am sending in for the CBCS Chaykin signing event, would it not be pressed after?

2) Am I still able to do press screen? Fast Press?

3) Is turnaround time still the same?

5) What Grading Tier do I use?

6) Do I check Fast Pass?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to not make any mistakes given what the book means to me personally.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Welcome to the forum, @sdr2711.

It's difficult to answer your pressing question since only you can determine whether it's wise to use it. I think folks here on the forum can provide you with information to help you make the decision, though.

First, understand that the pressing of a comic CAN actually cause damage to the book. With that said, I have had very good luck using CBCS to press books.

Second, understand that, if you do have your book pressed, it will slow down the return of your book to you as it does add a number of weeks to the processing time. So, if you need the book in a hurry, you might to avoid pressing.

I would suggest ALWAYS paying for a press screen for any book you submit for pressing. You might save some money since, if your comic doesn't pass the screen the book wouldn't be pressed.

Paying extra for fast press cuts turnaround times FOR PRESSING ONLY in about half (although I'm not sure of the current turnaround time for fast press vs. "slow" press). CBCS posts this information on their website.

Assuming you choose to have the book pressed it would be graded after pressing.

Good luck!

TBH I am not too concerned with turnaround being slightly delayed cause of pressing as this is for me and not for sale purposes.

However, I would still pay for fast as well as screening. Could not hurt and is not too much.

I have heard some very good things about CBCS vs CGC pressing and I am slightly more at ease using the service here (not that I have submitted to CGC either and this will be my very first submission done personally).

So order of items.... signed, pressed (if deemed applicable) then graded.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
1) If you choose pressing then yes it would be pressed after the signing

2) You are able to do press screen/ fast press but those services are executed AFTER the signing

3) NO Signings wait for the signing to be completed. While they may schedule that ahead of time they are at the mercy of the creator. They may delay and reschedule and your books will wait until the signing is completed before starting any subsequent services

4) That depends on the year the book was published and the Fair Market Value. Star Wars #1 I think counts as a Modern book but the modern tier has a FMV limit of $250 I think so you would have to use a more expensive tier, maybe 2-Day Modern or Expanded since they have higher FMV limits

5) If you want Fast pass for grading then yes, check fast pass. Fast pass for pressing, check Fast press

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr2711
TBH I am not too concerned with turnaround being slightly delayed cause of pressing as this is for me and not for sale purposes.

For sale or not, turnaround time JUST FOR PRESSING is over a year right now and grading on top of that is another 6 months, it is a ridiculous wait and who knows if they will be reducing that anytime

Be sure to check the Newbie’s Guide for more information about submissions and aervices with CBCS
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Personally, I press after a signing because the book gets 'handled' when it's being signed. It's also a good idea to press the screen, just in case a book isn't a good candidate for pressing. Also, given the TATs lately I'll recommend fast pressing. It seems the logjam there is pretty epic!

Ok, understood.

So that leads to more questions:

1) If I am sending in for the CBCS Chaykin signing event, would it not be pressed after?

2) Am I still able to do press screen? Fast Press?

3) Is turnaround time still the same?

5) What Grading Tier do I use?

6) Do I check Fast Pass?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to not make any mistakes given what the book means to me personally.

No problem at all with questions! This is exactly the place to be asking them.

1) Your book will be pressed after the singing and before the grading, assuming you choose to get the book pressed.

2) Yes, you can check press screen and press OR Fast Press.

3) This is what the Fast Press will change. Fast Press will cut your pressing TAT in half. Opting for just a press won't make the pressing go any faster.

4) "Star Wars" #1 will fall under Modern tier because it was published after 1975. You can choose to pay extra for 2-Day Modern (you can do that when you fill out the submission form) if you would like to have the book back sooner.

5) Fast Pass will do for the grading what Fast Press does for the pressing: It will cut the grading time in half.

If it were my book, I would pay extra for 2-Day Modern and I would get it pressed with a press screen. For 2-Day Modern I wouldn't bother with Fast Pass or Fast Press because it only cuts the TAT down by one month at that point. But that's just me.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@sdr2711 OOPS! @dielinfinite is absolutely correct on point #4!! If your book is in good shape, it may need to be in a higher tier due to the value. I would definitely choose 2-Day Modern if it were my book because you can grade/press a higher-value book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ok so...

I see in the drop-down:

Modern
2-day Modern
Quick Stream
Rapid
1-Day

Does this also affect fair market value and what I insure for and stuff?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@sdr2711 It’s the other way around. You put in the fair market value (FMV) which is the value the book would get insured for. That value will limit the tiers available. If you select a tier then change the FMV to something outside what the tier will cover then the tier will automatically change.

Again, remember the turnaround times. You book could be gone for a year if you fast pass everything. I am not saying CBCS is irresponsible with books but it is also a very long time to leave a valuable book in someone else’s hands. Certainly not something you want to under-insure just so you can squeak it into a cheaper grading tier

Here is a list of grading tiers that includes the publishing year and FMV limits for each
Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@sdr2711 - You are getting good advice from @Byrdibyrd @DWeeB1967 & @dielinfinite The only thing that I would add, is that if you are not selling the comic, for me, I would not pay for fast press nor fast pass. 2-Day Modern is the best tier for you to work with as if the grade is a 9.6 or less, your Fair Market Value is in that $2,000 and under zone. If your comic a 9.8 (or higher) then you would be in the 1-day Modern tier.

Additionally, as the 2-Day Modern estimated combined Press & Grade TAT is currently at 10 weeks, Fast Pass will only drop 1 week for grading while Fast Press would only drop by 4 weeks. The signing event itself is likely to take longer, so again, for me, I would pass on Fast.

Cheers!
Post 11 IP   flag post
EDIT: NM, I was mistaken
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ok.

LIke anyone given the book, I will err on the high side as replacing will be tough in this day and age especially with speculation as to grade.

2-day with press and check.

Sound right?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@sdr2711 Correct. I do believe you also need to add “Authentic Signature” add in Chaykin with a placeholder date, unless you were instructed otherwise in the mail-in instructions.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Cool. Sounds like I might have the boxes checked.

I do think pressing may be recommended cause of the spine roll.
Post 15 IP   flag post
601352 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?