Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsStatues

Your voice mail box if full17174

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 - nice in theory, as I think MCS does a great job at what they do. But it is also a bad idea to have the sales agent also be the grading agent. @DrWatson alluded to MCS habit of purposeful under-grading of raws. Great for the buyer, bad for the seller. Imagine the opposite could be true when encasing there own product to get those extra $ that 9.8’s and beyond get. Those inherent conflicts of interest are eliminated with 3rd party grading companies.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ShoddyShortBox private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
MCS should start a grading company...that reputation hurdle is high and I think they're in-house graders are already there (or close to it..perhaps a bit too cautious in their grades).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@etapi65 That would be great if you wanted all your 9.8s to come back as 9.4s, 9.2s, and even an 8.5 now and then.

Lone Star is the most conservative grader in the business because they have to sell the comics they grade. They have only 56 9.8 and 213 9.6 self-graded raws for sale, the rest are slabs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Concur. At some point, either because of diminished demand or because CBCS and CGC expand their capacity, TATs will fall, and additional players in the market would suffer the worst of the fallout. Over the long term, I don't think there's room for more than two grading companies to have sustained success.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
if Lone Star/MyComicShop, Heritage, or other reputable entity began grading books, I’m not sure we could dismiss it so easily.

If LoneStar (mycomicshop.com) were to simply start putting a tamper-evident sticker on their bags...they would be a grading entity. They are literally a 10 cent sticker away from being recognized as a grading entity. A very tight grading entity and for in-house use only at the moment...but with that sticker you would start seeing listings for "MCS graded" the same way you see listings for CBCS Graded or CGC Graded. It's literally a 10 cent sticker away.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Anything a competitor could do can be done more efficiently by CBCS or CGC. The only benefit is the pent-up and excess demand. But that demand (if really existing in large amounts for a NEW competitor) would almost certainly flow back to CGC and CBCS the moment the TATs are brought under contro

Good point. It's one thing to start a business because no one else is doing it well. It's another thing to start a business based on two companies doing it well enough that they are over-flowing with demand. That's hard to compete with and your customer base will not be limited to, but will include, the most disgruntled, most impatient and least loyal participants in this industry.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello?….yeah I got a question about a book of sent in last yea….

Sorry mail box is full

Son of a b…….
Post 31 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Anything a competitor could do can be done more efficiently by CBCS or CGC. The only benefit is the pent-up and excess demand. But that demand (if really existing in large amounts for a NEW competitor) would almost certainly flow back to CGC and CBCS the moment the TATs are brought under contro

Good point. It's one thing to start a business because no one else is doing it well. It's another thing to start a business based on two companies doing it well enough that they are over-flowing with demand. That's hard to compete with and your customer base will not be limited to, but will include, the most disgruntled, most impatient and least loyal participants in this industry.

This gave rise to the old expression, "There's no customer like a shit head."
Post 32 IP   flag post
600657 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?