Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsStatues

Your voice mail box if full17174

Collector TheEbner private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS How to you run a business where you have one phone number and it’s automated to take messages and the voice mail box is full. I would appreciate someone reaching out to me so I can ask how to correct my invoice

Ed
Post 1 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Oof.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
That's not good. That's really not good
Post 3 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Damn
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
thats nuts....its just a singular phone line with an inbox.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
WOW, this is a first!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Hsve you tried to contact your regional sales rep?
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TheEbner private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for those numbers
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector sdr2711 private msg quote post Address this user
Regardless... neither company should have a norm where one year to 72 weeks is the average wait time for books. Money is made, hire staff, restructure your approach and satisfy the customers with a better turnaround and product as well as revenue. Come on !!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr2711
Regardless... neither company should have a norm where one year to 72 weeks is the average wait time for books. Money is made, hire staff, restructure your approach and satisfy the customers with a better turnaround and product as well as revenue. Come on !!!

I kinda agree here.
2 years of "They've been hit hard with subs so we have to give them time" at some point becomes an excuse.
Maybe 2 years is not enough time to have implemented an action?
In my line of business if I hadn't implemented a response/action to any significant issue within 2 years, I'd be sent fishing (which might actually be ok with me

Ahhhh.... such is the life we live within a (essentially) 2 company industry. If we don't like it - leave. Yea I get it
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr2711

If people keep submitting, I think it's safe to say that they're "satisfied". If it takes a restaurant 2 hours to bring me my order, I can guarantee you that I would not be returning.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If that resturaunt is the only place to eat...you're returning.

continued patronage and satisfaction are not the same thing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

They're not going to get the message if you continue to patronize.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

They're not going to get the message if you continue to patronize.

They have the message....it becomes; what's the cost of doing something about it vs. doing nothing.

If a company needs a client to leave to make a change? They need new leadership.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Definitely a difficult topic.
Many of us are drawn to the money aspect.
And we'll eat crow legs to sustain that money aspect. Until eating crow legs becomes eating the whole crow.
Everyone has a breaking point - I don't know where mine is - where the money is not worth the aggravation/frustration/SMH/Dismay/Grief. I haven't hit that point yet, but I gotta tell ya it's not terribly far anymore in this monopolistic environment.

2 years - yea - I mean where are the improvements I keep hearing are going to happen. At some point it's lip service
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Exactly!

The expectation is that at some point TATs improve right? What's the expected, reasonable TAT? 8 weeks? Maybe improvement in TATs come when the hobby is no longer as popular. I don't think I like that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I don't know...maybe there's a new normal now? Maybe the TATs of 6-8 weeks was never going to return. Difficult topic indeed!
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I don't know...maybe there's a new normal now? Maybe the TATs of 6-8 weeks was never going to return. Difficult topic indeed!

If there really is that much business to be had then it seems like an opportunity for additional players to enter the marketplace or for current ones to expand.

More viable competition would help meet the needs of the market. Sure no one’s flocking to the EGSs of the world but if Lone Star/MyComicShop, Heritage, or other reputable entity began grading books, I’m not sure we could dismiss it so easily. They might also help the current two step up their game in the way you saw CGC suddenly start making much needed improvements after CBCS proved it wasn’t another PGX

Additionally, CBCS and CGC can open satellite locations that actually grade books and not just funnel them back to Texas. Aside from the expense, the most common excuse I hear is that it would be difficult to maintain consistency in grading, which is fair. I also think finding a solution to grading consistency is a more solvable issue than the prospect of 2+ year waits for pressing/grading at a single facility going forward
Post 19 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite definitely an opportunity for others to join the market. The trouble with that is in this industry, to be successful, you need that credibility. I'm not suggesting one can not attain credibility but it's really tough out of the gate.

We also have to think that maybe these long TATs are not solely based on workload...I'm sure supply issues are a huge factor as well.

It's possible there are books already graded waiting for slabs to arrive.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Additionally, CBCS and CGC can open satellite locations that actually grade books and not just funnel them back to Texas.

That would be pretty cool. CBCS already has a central location, so how about east and west satellite locations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
We also have to think that maybe these long TATs are not solely based on workload

I've wondered about that, too. In addition to supply issues, there could also be square footage issues. Given the increase in submissions, does CBCS even have enough space to expand? I'm sure wherever they are was fine 3 years ago as far as space requirements go, but what about now? Do they have enough usable work area to add new stations for new graders?
Post 21 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
It bears repeating that these issues are not limited to comic book grading. They are across many industries. Varying types and degrees.

Also, the grading companies are losing business vs. the -potential- business they could have. I have not submitted more than a handful of books over the past couple years because of the combo of a) I rarely sell and b) the wait times. I am sure there are many out there in a similar position, not speculating and not okay with the extended waits.

As for competition, any competitors will face even more challenges in this environment. The uncertainty around how much capacity to build PLUS the very high reputation hurdle. Anything a competitor could do can be done more efficiently by CBCS or CGC. The only benefit is the pent-up and excess demand. But that demand (if really existing in large amounts for a NEW competitor) would almost certainly flow back to CGC and CBCS the moment the TATs are brought under control.

Not a great position to be in if you are the newcomer… your business could evaporate in an instant and is mostly under the control of your competition.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
MCS should start a grading company...that reputation hurdle is high and I think they're in-house graders are already there (or close to it..perhaps a bit too cautious in their grades).
Post 23 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 That would be great if you wanted all your 9.8s to come back as 9.4s, 9.2s, and even an 8.5 now and then.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

As for competition, any competitors will face even more challenges in this environment. The uncertainty around how much capacity to build PLUS the very high reputation hurdle. Anything a competitor could do can be done more efficiently by CBCS or CGC. The only benefit is the pent-up and excess demand. But that demand (if really existing in large amounts for a NEW competitor) would almost certainly flow back to CGC and CBCS the moment the TATs are brought under control.

Not a great position to be in if you are the newcomer… your business could evaporate in an instant and is mostly under the control of your competition.

Great summation…And, if one thinks about it, kind of applies to CBCS with their own tight rope of how much do we continue to ramp up, where do we apply resources, how do we maintain QC, how much market share can we gain, when does this grading boom end, when the grading boom ends how many lives do we disrupt with layoffs, etc.

As to if and how much supply chain issue are at hand here, I do not know, but I have no doubt that it has played a roll. How many times over that past two years have we seen our comics coming back from CBCS with different protective bags? I can identify at least 4 different bags which may suggest that there may have been multiple occasions where CBCS may not have been able to ship out since they could not get something as simple as a protective outer bag.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 - nice in theory, as I think MCS does a great job at what they do. But it is also a bad idea to have the sales agent also be the grading agent. @DrWatson alluded to MCS habit of purposeful under-grading of raws. Great for the buyer, bad for the seller. Imagine the opposite could be true when encasing there own product to get those extra $ that 9.8’s and beyond get. Those inherent conflicts of interest are eliminated with 3rd party grading companies.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ShoddyShortBox private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
MCS should start a grading company...that reputation hurdle is high and I think they're in-house graders are already there (or close to it..perhaps a bit too cautious in their grades).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@etapi65 That would be great if you wanted all your 9.8s to come back as 9.4s, 9.2s, and even an 8.5 now and then.

Lone Star is the most conservative grader in the business because they have to sell the comics they grade. They have only 56 9.8 and 213 9.6 self-graded raws for sale, the rest are slabs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Concur. At some point, either because of diminished demand or because CBCS and CGC expand their capacity, TATs will fall, and additional players in the market would suffer the worst of the fallout. Over the long term, I don't think there's room for more than two grading companies to have sustained success.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
if Lone Star/MyComicShop, Heritage, or other reputable entity began grading books, I’m not sure we could dismiss it so easily.

If LoneStar (mycomicshop.com) were to simply start putting a tamper-evident sticker on their bags...they would be a grading entity. They are literally a 10 cent sticker away from being recognized as a grading entity. A very tight grading entity and for in-house use only at the moment...but with that sticker you would start seeing listings for "MCS graded" the same way you see listings for CBCS Graded or CGC Graded. It's literally a 10 cent sticker away.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Anything a competitor could do can be done more efficiently by CBCS or CGC. The only benefit is the pent-up and excess demand. But that demand (if really existing in large amounts for a NEW competitor) would almost certainly flow back to CGC and CBCS the moment the TATs are brought under contro

Good point. It's one thing to start a business because no one else is doing it well. It's another thing to start a business based on two companies doing it well enough that they are over-flowing with demand. That's hard to compete with and your customer base will not be limited to, but will include, the most disgruntled, most impatient and least loyal participants in this industry.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600440 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?