Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPQuestions

only one in census17173

Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
If a book is the only one or nearly only one in census and also signed is it worth more? Turns out i have books that are apparently not graded often or at all. and they are also verified witness signatures. just curious since i do want to sell a few slabs.
Post 1 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Worth more than what? The raw copy equivalent? The answer should be yes because of grade/authentication/cost to encapsulate.

Worth more than books with higher census numbers? That depends.

A book will have low census counts for one of three primary reasons. Low value (not worth grading), low supply (rare), newly “recognized” or new (recently printed) books (TATs). Very different potential impacts on value.

You could also squeeze a few dollars of value in having a slabbed copy of an otherwise unremarkable book if there are few census copies. Someone who wants a slabbed copy and is impatient; a convenience premium.

As for signature impact, huge range of outcomes.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

You could also squeeze a few dollars of value in having a slabbed copy of an otherwise unremarkable book if there are few census copies. Someone who wants a slabbed copy and is impatient; a convenience premium.

Typically not more than it costs to grade.

Quote:

You decrease the potential buying pool, but people who buy these may be willing to pay slightly above an estimated FMV. That depends on the comic and the signature.

A Tom Derenick signature on a Superman (rebirth) #19 seems unlikely to draw any buyers.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector PDGray private msg quote post Address this user
One might think so, but its all about supply/demand economics.

I have a few books which are low census count or the ONLY graded copies, however I don't necessarily think they would draw a premium because of that. I think its fun to own books like that, so worthwhile for me anyway.

PDG
Post 4 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for agreeing with my points though will say that of course a convenience premium may exist. That premium by definition will be above the cost to grade it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:

Typically not more than it costs to grade.

Quote:

You decrease the potential buying pool, but people who buy these may be willing to pay slightly above an estimated FMV. That depends on the comic and the signature.

A Tom Derenick signature on a Superman (rebirth) #19 seems unlikely to draw any buyers.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho
If a book is the only one or nearly only one in census and also signed is it worth more? Turns out i have books that are apparently not graded often or at all. and they are also verified witness signatures. just curious since i do want to sell a few slabs.

Depends on which census.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You have to ask yourself why are there so few copies of the book that have been graded? Is it because that the book is so exceedingly rare that people don’t have it to submit? Or is it because the book is worth so little that for most it’s not worth the expense to have graded?

Additionally, are you looking at CBCS’ Census or CGC’s?

While it’s certainly fun to have the sole book in the census, heck I even started a thread devoted just to that, I wouldn’t go into it thinking you’ve stumbled on a gold mine. If the book is so scarce that both graders have only seen one copy, then the book has value regardless of being graded.

If the book is readily available then someone can buy an ungraded copy and send it in to be graded and then you’ve lost a selling point
Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If a book is the only one or nearly only one in census and also signed is it worth more?

Signed vs unsigned is the only value difference. The census changes.

Quote:
they are also verified witness signatures.

Verified or witnessed. Not both.

Unless you had CBCS verify the signature of a witness
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@donho what are the the books!! who are they signed by! pics! pics! pics!!! lol!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks for agreeing with my points though will say that of course a convenience premium may exist. That premium by definition will be above the cost to grade it themselves.

I understood it as "would pay slightly more than it would cost to do it myself", which would include buying book, getting sig, getting slabbed assorted shipping costs.

That number may not be higher than what the seller has put into it.
I could get the sig free, but seller may have had to spend $20-$50. I would use CBCS, CGC for a witnessed sig is more than $10 higher initial cost. I shipped with 10 books to spread shipping cost. Seller only submitted 5. I may have access to the book at $3.99, seller may have had to spend $6.00. Could do it myself for around $30, they had to drop $45-60; I'm only willing to hit $40. I'm paying a premium over my cost to do it myself, but only 33% higher.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
my only submission is a first in the cencus. people get it graded yes but Im the first to get that specific variant graded.

heck one of my next planned submissions might be 1st period.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Hulk 181 is a fairly common book but no one will let is go easily.

Demand plays a big part when it comes to price.

With that said I really like getting books that are the highest graded.

It definitely makes things fun.
Post 12 IP   flag post
it is from both censuses and here is one, dave dormans first robotech cover and 3rd published work. and seduction of the gun which only has 2 cgcs apparently and only one signed from both companies

Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@donho Robotech may be the only one signed in the census but I haven’t checked. Otherwise, it’s like a $5 raw book

Seduction of the Gun seems like a fairly common $10 book

They’re both cool books but I don’t think they’ll see much of a premium for their census availability
Post 14 IP   flag post
not that its that they were signed. and only 2 i think in cgc and one in cbcs for both books. i was wondering about it thats all. just a cool guy to meet and also got a han solo sketch when he was at a con. just seems like a hard one to get an autograph from. and of course i got dark empire signed. couldnt let star wars not get signed by him. and like i said his 3rd published work for robotech.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Potentially a super big Dave Dorman fan might pay a bit extra - at the same time though - he is super reasonable for his sketch prices

I would think some of his better known covers would have more of a premium - i.e. Star Wars...although I love his collaboration on Rocketeer #2
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
not that its that they were signed. and only 2 i think in cgc and one in cbcs for both books. i was wondering about it thats all. just a cool guy to meet and also got a han solo sketch when he was at a con. just seems like a hard one to get an autograph from. and of course i got dark empire signed. couldnt let star wars not get signed by him. and like i said his 3rd published work for robotech.

Han Solo sketch!! - pics!!!

I got this back in 2018 - like you say - a nice guy to talk to - hope he comes around again - can always use another sketch!!

Post 17 IP   flag post

Here it is. Love this one
Post 18 IP   flag post
@donho nice!!!!!! - with the Falcon too!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a variant cover/copy of Vampironica #4. Only 300 printed. Cool homage cover and the artist fixed the glaring Joker leg problem. It's only worth about $40 raw in 9.8. Maybe $100 in graded 9.8. It could be considered "rare". Hell, it IS rare. But collectors will have to start suddenly coveting the title. Other wise, it's Vampironica #4 as a variant cover.

Post 20 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
It's only worth about $40 raw in 9.8. Maybe $100 in graded 9.8.

Weren't you the one going on and on earlier, wondering why people got their books graded?
Surely you just answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktocktyler
It could be considered "rare". Hell, it IS rare.

Not that rare...

Post 21 IP   flag post
Met Dave Dorman in 2018, seemed like a really nice guy. Got his Action Comics #1000 purchased/signed from him.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Supermole private msg quote post Address this user
Case in point. Exceedingly rare? Yes, the only one on the census. Valuable? No, No one know what it is. The only reason I had this graded was because it is an underground comic from the 70's produced in a town near me. Neat, but really only to me.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
it is from both censuses and here is one, dave dormans first robotech cover and 3rd published work. and seduction of the gun which only has 2 cgcs apparently and only one signed from both companies

I cringe whenever I see scribbling or writing on a book....... Im out
Post 24 IP   flag post
601502 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?