Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS PressingQuestions

When to Press and Clean?16955

Collector Brash private msg quote post Address this user
What are everyone’s thought on pressing and cleaning? Do you do it with every book or only if you see specific flaws you think it would fix?

I just bought a raw X-Men 201 mostly for nostalgia since I grew up looking at it on Wizard’s monthly hot list and I want to get it graded because I like it for presentation. It’s not super expensive but looks great. Not sure I should even worry about chasing a grade if I don’t want to sell but I’d like it to look as good as possible.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Typically, any book I send in for grading I have cleaned and pressed. It’s simply for my own peace of mind so that I’m not wondering what grade I would have gotten back if I had had it cleaned and pressed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
New or old I press every book I submit for grading. Might as well have it cleaned before being encapsulated. I don’t blindly send books in; I do evaluate and if it’s worth grading it also gets pressed to maximize presentation and longevity. I’m probably throwing money away🤷🏻‍♂️
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RonMob private msg quote post Address this user
Always!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash I do the same thing. If I send in a book with a small crease that could have been pressed out and it received a lower grade, I'd kick myself. When I send them in, I get them all pressed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
If you're going to slab it, then clean/press as well. Unless it's some modern age piece of crap. Then don't bother with either,.. including the slab.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I do some of my own pressing and if I can't handle it myself, then I will likely get it pressed if (a) it is an older book or (b) I'm getting the book signed. The latter is because the book is being 'handled' and after that, I want a press. As for Modern books, if it has a defect so bad that I can't handle it, it's probably not worth grading anyway.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BBB private msg quote post Address this user
Is it ok to have a glossy card stock cover pressed?
For example, Son of Kal-El #1 3rd print 1:50 virgin cover
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Brash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I do some of my own pressing and if I can't handle it myself, then I will likely get it pressed if (a) it is an older book or (b) I'm getting the book signed. The latter is because the book is being 'handled' and after that, I want a press. As for Modern books, if it has a defect so bad that I can't handle it, it's probably not worth grading anyway.

How did you learn to do your own pressing?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I too press and clean everything I send in. I figure it makes every book better.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

How did you learn to do your own pressing?

I learned a few things when I worked at the LCS for some years back in the 80s from other collectors/dealers. Nothing really major (I'm not pro by any standard), but can flatten a book when I need to.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Is it ok to have a glossy card stock cover pressed?
For example, Son of Kal-El #1 3rd print 1:50 virgin cover

Glossy cardstock cover should be okay to press, but it will likely have temperature parameters, so if it were mine, I'd let the pros handle it if you're willing to pay for that (I restrict myself to the older books with the types of paper that I'm more familiar with). Also, send it to CBCS and request a press screen. If they think it'd do more harm than good, they won't press it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I mostly press and clean everything going to slab...I say mostly because sometimes I can't tell if there is anything that needs pressing so I press screen
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you very much Byrdibyrd, I appreciate the thoughtful and detailed answer.
For sure I will do the press screen and pay for the pro press if it passes. Thanks a lot
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Best time to press and clean is before something is graded and slabbed generally
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Thank you very much Byrdibyrd, I appreciate the thoughtful and detailed answer.
For sure I will do the press screen and pay for the pro press if it passes. Thanks a lot

My pleasure! Best of luck with your book. It sounds like a nice one!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Any book valued over $100+ is cleaned and pressed in my collection.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Unless I purchased right of the shelf; press and clean it is.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I usually do a press screen for every book. If the pro's think (or don't think) the book needs it then I'm good with what comes back.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@xvipah The last sub I sent I did a press screen and was blown away by the end result.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Has anyone tried having a blank cover comic with an artist original sketch on it pressed?
Sorry if this was already answered by just ordering a press screen and letting CBCS decide, just wondering if anyone tried it or has a perspective on it.
Thanks to everyone for making this such an informative thread!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Has anyone tried having a blank cover comic with an artist original sketch on it pressed?
Sorry if this was already answered by just ordering a press screen and letting CBCS decide, just wondering if anyone tried it or has a perspective on it.
Thanks to everyone for making this such an informative thread!

I've had a couple sketch covers pressed by The Other Guy and I had no problem. A couple even came back as 9.8's. I'd still get a sketch cover press screened if you're sending it in to CBCS, though, just to be certain. I'm sure there are types of inks that need to be kept away from heat.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Ok cool, great to hear a couple came back for you as 9.8's Byrdibyrd!
I'll stick with the press screen option, and it's a big relief to hear that it has worked out before. Thanks again.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Ok cool, great to hear a couple came back for you as 9.8's Byrdibyrd!
I'll stick with the press screen option, and it's a big relief to hear that it has worked out before. Thanks again.

You're welcome!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
I've got 3 golden age books out for pressing and cleaning right now. Two of them I don't think would get a better grade afterwards but I feel like they will present better without the wrinkles and spine roll when I admire them later.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
If I can see creases/bends that can be removed, I'll do the pressing option. If I buy a lower grade book that's already graded, I'll check the grader notes and if it's something that can be pressed out in the future (like if I want to send it to get signed) I'll pick that one.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I clean and press everything I submit for grading. Only exceptions are if it's so brittle that it might fall apart- or if it already looks like a 9.8 and I don't see anything to fix.
Post 27 IP   flag post
600858 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?