Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Learn from my mistake...Thor 13416799

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
That's a low penalty for missing sticker. I'd hammer the book if I was a grading company especially since it's a modern book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
That's a low penalty for missing sticker. I'd hammer the book if I was a grading company especially since it's a modern book.

@Bronte Smash!
Post 27 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

Lol. I tried to "hulk clap" a candle once. No go. It's harder than it looks......
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought it was rude to get a qualified grade on this for cover detached at one staple, but I learned. It was long ago at least.

Post 29 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I always thought it was rude to get a qualified grade on this for cover detached at one staple, but I learned. It was long ago at least.

That's crazy! A book can't grade 9.0 with a detached staple.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Learned my lesson on counting pages with Batman #189. Missing ad, didn't affect the story, so I missed it on a cursory flip through. 0.5
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Consolation prize.

Y'know.... it'd be a 9.0 IF the detached staple wasn't there.
Let the customer down easy so they don't complain.
What a load
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
If they're going to give qualified grades, it needs to work like double-covers. Comic grade 0.5, qualified grade 9.2 if not missing one page. The system exists to do that.

In general, I don't like qualified grades, but if they're going to do it; it needs two grades.
Post 33 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Consolation prize.

What a load

A grading company providing a service that ignores defects to provide a grade is so counter intuitive to me. Using this rationale, all my books are 10.0 if you ignore the defects....I know it doesn't actually work this way but that's the impression Im given.
Post 34 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
If they're going to give qualified grades, it needs to work like double-covers. Comic grade 0.5, qualified grade 9.2 if not missing one page. The system exists to do that.

In general, I don't like qualified grades, but if they're going to do it; it needs two grades.

This is a great idea! Nice! 🍻
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Learned my lesson on counting pages with Batman #189. Missing ad, didn't affect the story, so I missed it on a cursory flip through. 0.5

Me too! I bought this raw advertised as a 2.0/2.5.

Post 36 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

That's crazy! A book can't grade 9.0 with a detached staple.
Exactly, that's why the Qualified label exists. Thank you!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Consolation prize.

What a load

A grading company providing a service that ignores defects to provide a grade is so counter intuitive to me. Using this rationale, all my books are 10.0 if you ignore the defects....I know it doesn't actually work this way but that's the impression Im given.
You're right, it doesn't actually work that way. The Qualified label is for one big/glaring defect, not "defects" plural. This is why the "all my books are a 10" rationale isn't valid. The signature witnessed labels for CBCS and CGC are also Qualified labels. They grade the book as if the signature isn't there.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Consolation prize.

What a load

You're right, it doesn't actually work that way. The Qualified label is for one big/glaring defect, not "defects" plural. This is why the "all my books are a 10" rationale isn't valid. The signature witnessed labels for CBCS and CGC are also Qualified labels. They grade the book as if the signature isn't there.

Appreciate the insight, thanks.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I came in 236th place in the local half marathon of 500 runners.
But I had to take a dump twice during the run so if you subtract that lost time I really came in 194th.
So I'm Qualified 194th

CGC jackass grading
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
But I had to take a dump twice during the run so if you subtract that lost time I really came in 194th.
So I'm Qualified 194th

CGC jackass grading

lol!!! 🤣 🍻
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The messed up part of that story is that it is real; except it was 3x I had to stop
So I'm Qualified 194th

CGC jackass grading

lol!!! 🤣 🍻

The messed up part of this story is that it is real except for the fact I had to stop 3x; not 2x. I couldn't let everyone know that first time around
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
OK, here's my sad story...

I wanted a nice copy of Thor 134, not just because it is the first appearance of the High Evolutionary (coming to the MCU in Guardians Of The Galaxy 3), but also because this issue has, IMHO, some of the finest Kirby interior art of any comic.

I bought this book on eBay for around $50 and sent it in to be slabbed. Figured it was about a 6.0 or 7.0-ish.

Mistake #1: I did not inspect the interior of the comic. It looked so good bagged and boarded, I just ASSUMED it was complete. I submit a lot of books and I don't look at the interiors generally, mainly because I don't want to damage them in handling. Oy!

Turns out this book is missing a page! Arrrgh! If I had inspected the book when I got it, maybe I could have gone back to my eBay seller, but now a year has past. Oh well.

Mistake #2: No grade screen. I could have avoided paying for the grading on this book if I had set a grade screen, even a low one like 3.0. As CBCS says,

This service allows you to select a minimum grade you would like to have your book certified at. If your book is determined by CBCS to be below the grade you have selected, your book will be returned in it's raw state and you may be charged a nominal "reject fee". If your book meets the minimum grade, it will be certified and placed into a CBCS case with no additional fees. Remember that the screening grade you choose is the minimum it can be to be certified at. In many cases your book may grade higher than the grade you chose.

CBCS is happy to provide this service as a way to prevent customers from having to pay full grading fees for comics they might not want CBCS to certify. Also remember that you can screen for any grade between 3.0 and 9.8 for each individual book. You may choose a completely different Grade Screening level for each one of the comics in your submission on the same invoice. Choosing the Grade Screening service has absolutely no impact on the stated turnaround time of your submission tier. We offer the same CBCS Guarantee with this service that we have on all of your submissions.

I am going to set low grade screens on all my 'uninspected' books in the future.

So, I am out about $90 all-in for this mishap. Don't let this happen to you!

I think I should sent it over to one of the guys at the 'What are you shootin' topic so they can take it out AND SHOOT IT!

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/15455/page/1/what-are-you-shootin/

Sorry to hear about this, Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
OK, here's my sad story...

I wanted a nice copy of Thor 134, not just because it is the first appearance of the High Evolutionary (coming to the MCU in Guardians Of The Galaxy 3), but also because this issue has, IMHO, some of the finest Kirby interior art of any comic.

I bought this book on eBay for around $50 and sent it in to be slabbed. Figured it was about a 6.0 or 7.0-ish.

Mistake #1: I did not inspect the interior of the comic. It looked so good bagged and boarded, I just ASSUMED it was complete. I submit a lot of books and I don't look at the interiors generally, mainly because I don't want to damage them in handling. Oy!

Turns out this book is missing a page! Arrrgh! If I had inspected the book when I got it, maybe I could have gone back to my eBay seller, but now a year has past. Oh well.

Mistake #2: No grade screen. I could have avoided paying for the grading on this book if I had set a grade screen, even a low one like 3.0. As CBCS says,

This service allows you to select a minimum grade you would like to have your book certified at. If your book is determined by CBCS to be below the grade you have selected, your book will be returned in it's raw state and you may be charged a nominal "reject fee". If your book meets the minimum grade, it will be certified and placed into a CBCS case with no additional fees. Remember that the screening grade you choose is the minimum it can be to be certified at. In many cases your book may grade higher than the grade you chose.

CBCS is happy to provide this service as a way to prevent customers from having to pay full grading fees for comics they might not want CBCS to certify. Also remember that you can screen for any grade between 3.0 and 9.8 for each individual book. You may choose a completely different Grade Screening level for each one of the comics in your submission on the same invoice. Choosing the Grade Screening service has absolutely no impact on the stated turnaround time of your submission tier. We offer the same CBCS Guarantee with this service that we have on all of your submissions.

I am going to set low grade screens on all my 'uninspected' books in the future.

So, I am out about $90 all-in for this mishap. Don't let this happen to you!

I think I should sent it over to one of the guys at the 'What are you shootin' topic so they can take it out AND SHOOT IT!

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/15455/page/1/what-are-you-shootin/

Sorry to see this but yeah, I'd say you can probably get around $125 for this slab, if you list it as a BIN, and want a while...trailer is released for the next Thor movie and you'll get your cost back.

The one advantage CGC has over CBCS on books with a page missing is a Qualafied label, which would be an easier cash out at $125-150, thus covering all fees including 28% capital gains tax.

I press all my books prior to subbing so naturally, I leaf thru the book carefully.

But regardless,, I've been collecting and dealing books for around 30 years and can tell by the weight and feel of a silver age book on my hands, when a page is missing.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@power_struggle55 of course a book missing a page should be hammered hard on the grade but not all missing pages are the same. This is why missing covers are graded CBCS 0.3 or CGC NG. They recognize the importance of the cover more than an interior page. I'm saying to take that line of thinking one step further and recognize a missing ad page differently than a missing story/art page. The book with the missing ad page should not be hammered as hard on grade as the book missing story/art page. Both incomplete but not equally incomplete.

True BUT CGC will also give a book a .5 (with IMCOMPLETE + relevant ifo stated on label) if it's a remainder copy with "IMCOMPLETE: TITLE LOGO CUT OUT" note...despite no interior pages or coupons missing.

If a big chunk of missing from the cover..not the title or a coupon on BC, it'd likely be a 1.0 to 1.5, depending on location and overall appearance, from CGC.

Which I agree with, but a .5 grade & "IMCOMPLETE:..." label note on an otherwise 5.0 or higher book, is a kiss of death and IMHO, a book with a cut out logo, or a cut out coupn on a back cover, isn't worthy of being noted as "IMCOMPLETE" and a .5.

It's technically true but the same can be said that if I tore off a 2 inch by 3 inch strip of the top, far edge or bottom of the back cover, at least an inch from the spine so spine wasnt effected and no coupons on back cover were effected....that book should also be a ".5 IMCOMPLETE" just because a chunk of the cover is missing...but ....but really not.

IMHO, this is a narrow viewpoint of a mistake made by both CBCS and CGC.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
A Qualified Grade 8.0 means that you recognized the missing page and sent it to CGC. A 0.5 Grade means that you didn't realize a page was missing and sent it to CBCS.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@GAC Many disagree with me, but I actually prefer the CGC way of grading the rest of the book. I feel like it would at least be a consolation prize in this case. And it would be nice to know how the rest of the book would have graded out.

I'm one of those that don't like Qualified grades...they are fake grades. I do understand why Qualified exists but they're fantasy grades.

I don't mind a green label if it's for a signature I can see and determine for myself if it's worth the risk.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
A Qualified Grade 8.0 means that you recognized the missing page and sent it to CGC. A 0.5 Grade means that you didn't realize a page was missing and sent it to CBCS.

LOL but yeah.

I had a discussion with a dealer from Maryland, an Overstreeet advisor and profesional presser, I've known for a long whom I won't name here as he wouldn't like my repeating a private convo about grading companies on here or the CGc forum) at Wizard Philly a few years about this, back when I actually used to go to shows to buy books i.e. before the pandemic.

He didn't tell ,me anything that I didn't already know, but we both had a good laugh about this.

For certain books with certain defects, they have to be subbed to CBCS.

For other certain books with other certain defects, they have to be subbed to CGC.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Consolation prize.

What a load

Steve is obviously correct but IMHO, this point goes both ways.

A cherry book that is otherwise a 9.0 but has a detached cover at 1 staple (or even detached at both staples IMHO) does deserve a qualified grade, with the cause for the qualafied grade noted on the label.

Than again, the same book could be (correctly) graded by CBCS or CGC at a 5.0 to 6.0, with the staple pop causing at least a 3 point drop.

Actually works either way, as many people dont like qialafied labels and think the actual grade is the actual grade, end of story.

Others feel differently and IMHO, both views are understandable.
Post 48 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

I looked because my amazing spider-man #4 (first appearance of cindy moon as silk 1st printing) and my edge of spider-verse #2 (5th printing) dont have the sticker. both are worth getting graded (especially the spiderverse as its signed by Latour, Renzi and rodriguez) and needed to make it doesnt count as like a torn piece of a page. but appears the look at it like a nick on a corner
Post 49 IP   flag post
Nice books to have. Gratz.

I recently got a second copy of edge of Spider-verse 2 and my first instinct was to check for sticker. I had never opened a book with digital copy before and had to go through the book twice to find out what exactly the sticker even looked like.... (my other copy was purchased slabbed)
Post 50 IP   flag post
600788 50 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?