Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Red label to Yellow label change in Grading Notes16632

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
It would be disastrous if COA's are considered "witnessed signatures".

Where did the idea of a COA come from? I didn't see one mentioned in the original post.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@CaptainCanuck - Not necessarily, may have had a COA with it when it was sent in.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Silly Scifinator, COAs are for Dynamic Forces.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Quote:
@CaptainCanuck - Not necessarily, may have had a COA with it when it was sent in.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, when you submit for signature verification you enter what you know about the signing. That would include place and date. So that's where the information would have come from on the error label.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia No, you just enter the signer’s name. There’s no place on the order form to add date, location, or other information for verified signatures.

If it was submitted on a paper form they could’ve mistakenly added that information where it was meant for witnessed signatures but it is not SOP to submit or for CBCS to request any additional information for a verified signature
Post 31 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@comixoasis - as @Byrdibyrd said, that is a freakin' lovely copy. If it were mine, I would send in for re-holder into the New Sonicweld encasement and the new yellow VSP label as to me, the Yellow label mates up better with that particular cover.

Cheers to you and that comic!

With all due respect, I would never let that book out of my sight - ever!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Isn't 2018 when CBCS allowed some of their customers be their own witness at shows? Could it be possible the book was sent in during that time when they allowed certain submitters to be their own witness which is why it received a "witnessed" label, and then maybe got changed back to a red label after all the shit CBCS received regarding that fiasco?

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4168/page/1/artist-signature-exceptions/

Here is a quote from the signature director from the thread, "CBCS tries to help as many customers with witnessing their signatures, that if their wait for getting a witness seems to exceed 20 minutes, and IF they want to witness their own books, we will give them the option of being a witness themselves, AFTER asking them a series of questions."
Post 33 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I just checked the online order and you are correct. I haven't submitted a verification in a few years but I have a distinct memory of having fields where you could enter place and date of signature. Either it was there in the past or my memory is faulty.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE CBCS always has and still does allow users to self-witness books if they are authorized as a witness beforehand. While there have been small flare ups here and there, I don’t recall any sort of major blowback to CBCS regarding the practice. Authorizing users on-site is/was apparently a thing though it didn’t seem particularly widespread.

2018 is the year CBCS modified the program by splitting AWs into two tiers and adding additional restrictions but overall it wasn’t a dramatic change for small volume, non-commercial submitters

One possibility, though I find it highly unlikely that I’m loathe to even suggest it, would’ve been that the signature was witnessed (two days before Thanksgiving???) and the witness sat on it for nearly 4 years before trying to submit it, at which point it was rejected for having waited so long and had to go the VSP route instead but some remnant of the original submission persisted resulting in the incorrect label.

I still haven’t seen anything convincing me it was anything more than a wrong label applied to a book.

@EbayMafia Witnessed Signatures used to list the date and location the book was signed but that was removed when the rivet labels were done away with.

I think your memory might be combining that with the verification service
Post 35 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I agree that they probably put on the wrong label.
Post 36 IP   flag post
And the date? Totally random?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

And the horse? Totally dead?
Post 38 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Let's just check Stan's appointment book to see where he was that day.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

And the horse? Totally dead?

Not even close. Easily giving up like this can be attributed to the advent of participation trophies.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Let's just check Stan's appointment book to see where he was that day.

Stan did not make any major convention appearances on that date.

Stan Lee - Convention Guest Appearances
Post 41 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Easily giving up like this can be attributed to the advent of participation trophies.

I never got one of those. I refused to participate.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Not even close. Easily giving up like this can be attributed to the advent of participation trophies.

Sometimes its quite the opposite. Sometimes the participation trophy means that you didn't quit...even under shitty circumstances. It's actually easier for a kid to be on a team that's been stacked to win championships than it is to be on a team that's doomed from the start.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

Sometimes the participation trophy means that you didn't quit.

@DrWatson quit, but I still think he deserves a participation trophy.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:
Easily giving up like this can be attributed to the advent of participation trophies.

I never got one of those. I refused to participate.

Well, you participated in this thread. That’s all that matters.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Scifinator

I don’t think CBCS honors or refers to those.
@CaptainCanuck agreed, hence my reference that the yellow may have been an error that quality control (QC) recognized and corrected from witnessed to VSP.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@EbayMafia No, you just enter the signer’s name. There’s no place on the order form to add date, location, or other information for verified signatures.

If it was submitted on a paper form they could’ve mistakenly added that information where it was meant for witnessed signatures but it is not SOP to submit or for CBCS to request any additional information for a verified signature
@dielinfinite - with respect, @EbayMadia is correct. yes, you can type in the info when submitting into the who signed box. Further, one can hand write note & such.

And for all another way the “random” may have been errantly referenced (besides coming from COA) is if someone submitted a pgx or halo encased witnessed comic as CBCS would not recognize those and it would thus be a VSP. I could be wrong, but I believe there was a period that even cgc witnessed were not recognized by CBCS.

Bottom line, looks like photo taken before QC csught the error, relabeled and reslabbed to the correct VSP label and didn’t reshoot the photo.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

@dielinfinite - with respect, @EbayMadia is correct. yes, you can type in the info when submitting into the who signed box. Further, one can hand write note & such.

What I said was that there is no place on the order form, as in there is no designated place on the order form where they are asking for that information. Yes you can write anything you want in the box but that box is designated just for the signer’s name it is not SOP to provide or for CBCS to request additional information.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite - I agree, no designated place, not SOP and nor do they request it.
Post 49 IP   flag post
597867 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?