Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

Artist signature exceptions?4168

Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
I was an AW at Boston Comic Con and got some signatures from John Romita Jr. I spoke with his handlers beforehand and asked if it was ok to CBCS witness even though he had official CGC handlers with Desert Wind. They said yes, so I paid them their fee for signing a book for grading. I am now hearing that there needs to be the signature's handling on the form for it to qualify as ASP. Is this true? This would be really disappointing if true, seeing as how neither his handler's nor CBCS offered this information. Anyone know?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, that's the way it works. And not to be a jerk, but this one is on you. It is plainly stated on the pinned message on the Official CBCS Signature Programs Facebook page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official CBCS Signature Program fb page pinned post
Some of the artists & writers will have a ticket process OR initials on the CBCS submission forms by the art rep or managers, to qualify for CBCS yellow label (ASP) ONLY. LARRY LIEBER, JOE GIELLA, JOHN ROMITA JR. & TONY MOORE will work this way, by that comic book creator's handlers (Desert Wind Comics, Jeff Harnett & Mr. & Mrs. Tony Moore). Tickets that are not given to CBCS or no initials on the CBCS submission forms by the art reps or managers, will not qualify as ASP & will be given the option for a red label (VSP).

It's been that way for a while now. You might want to go over there and check out other guidelines.

Official CBCS Signature Programs Facebook page
Post 2 IP   flag post
I wasn't a member of the page. I went to the CBCS booth and asked for a witness for some signatures. They gave me a form to witness my own signatures instead. I actually asked about policy and was told the only ones there with exceptions were Adam Hughes and Stan Lee.

The policy is fine, but it would have helped to have it written out with the witness form or otherwise instructed by the staff at the booth. When you're paying money for something and trying to do the right thing, it's disappointing
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Last year when John Romita Jr signed for me in NYCC this was not the case.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. I am an authorized witness for the Boston Show. John Romita Jr signs a book for me at the Boston Show.

At this point can the book get a yellow label? Do I need Desert Wind to mark something on the form when I see them at the New York show to fix this?

Also, I paid Tony Moore $40 to sign my Walking Dead # 8 at the same show. Was I supposed to get something from him as well?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Yep, that's the way it works. And not to be a jerk, but this one is on you. It is plainly stated on the pinned message on the Official CBCS Signature Programs Facebook page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official CBCS Signature Program fb page pinned post
Some of the artists & writers will have a ticket process OR initials on the CBCS submission forms by the art rep or managers, to qualify for CBCS yellow label (ASP) ONLY. LARRY LIEBER, JOE GIELLA, JOHN ROMITA JR. & TONY MOORE will work this way, by that comic book creator's handlers (Desert Wind Comics, Jeff Harnett & Mr. & Mrs. Tony Moore). Tickets that are not given to CBCS or no initials on the CBCS submission forms by the art reps or managers, will not qualify as ASP & will be given the option for a red label (VSP).

It's been that way for a while now. You might want to go over there and check out other guidelines.

Official CBCS Signature Programs Facebook page

Shouldn't this exist on the CBCS website for AW's? Posting that in a group on FB and expecting people to know to look there is not the way to do things. I've been a member of that group, so I know of the restrictions, but it still needs to be made public without using FB. This website still needs to be revamped including all this information for AW's.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@Jesse_O

Last year when John Romita Jr signed for me in NYCC this was not the case.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. I am an authorized witness for the Boston Show. John Romita Jr signs a book for me at the Boston Show.

At this point can the book get a yellow label? Do I need Desert Wind to mark something on the form when I see them at the New York show to fix this?

Also, I paid Tony Moore $40 to sign my Walking Dead # 8 at the same show. Was I supposed to get something from him as well?

I believe you just need someone from DW to initial your submission form.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
I believe you just need someone from DW to initial your submission form.

If I want Desert Wind or Terry Moore (or his wife?) to initial the from do you know how much they would charge me beyond what I have already paid for the signatures?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The way I understand it, the forms need to be initialed BEFORE getting any signatures.

@Hanginglimbs If you didn't get an okay from Mark Roman to be a witness prior to the con, there had to be some major misunderstanding there!!!

@drchaos yeah, this went into effect earlier this year. And as far as I know, the facebook page IS th CBCS AW website!! Mark Roman is totally in charge of it.

Any other questions, I suggest contacting Mark tomorrow via email. I'm not an AW, I just keep up to date on it for situations on here and on the facebook club page.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
OP just got let down by a failure of the CBCS Booth staff. I would be miffed too. He asked for a witness and they told him to be his own witness? What the hell?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I will talk to Mark when I see him in Toronto. Can't say I am a fan of this new trend.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Jesse_O I will talk to Mark when I see him in Toronto. Can't say I am a fan of this new trend.

I don't think too many people are.

And I was thinking, if Mark hasn't approved you to be an AW, I don't think it matters if the form is initialed or not, you are not going to get a yellow label. I seriously doubt they just give out AW forms to anyone who asks at a con. I've never heard of that happening and I've been in the loop since day one with the AW program. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'll definitely be dropping Mark an email in the am.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Well good thing I got Marks approval to be an AW right after FloridaCon so I should have nothing to worry about in Toronto.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
OP just got let down by a failure of the CBCS Booth staff. I would be miffed too. He asked for a witness and they told him to be his own witness? What the hell?

Yup. I would say I don't know where to begin but I suppose I already did. With these signatures as pretty much the only reason I went to Boston CC, it would be extremely disheartening if I end up about $1k in the hole with nothing to show for it. Hopefully this all gets sorted out.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I have been an AW for quite some time and have the forms that he already signed. I will speak with him regarding the topic of this thread.

Thanks again.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think too many people are.

And I was thinking, if Mark hasn't approved you to be an AW, I don't think it matters if the form is initialed or not, you are not going to get a yellow label. I seriously doubt they just give out AW forms to anyone who asks at a con. I've never heard of that happening and I've been in the loop since day one with the AW program. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'll definitely be dropping Mark an email in the am.
i agree as i was told by Mark Roman to be a CBCS AW at Stocktoncon i had to be accepted before hand
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@Hanginglimbs

I agree, seems like you were given misinformation...or lack of information in general. You were wronged, and if it were me I would not do business with the people who wronged you...unless they make it right. I would be reaching out to someone related to the booth staff, or CBCS, or DW, or whoever you need to to make this right, and don't give up until you have been compensated properly. We are just joe shmoes on the forum, we can't help you.

Seeing as the Moderator already said it's your fault,
Quote:

I would make some phone calls tomorrow instead. Good luck, and sorry this happened to you!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@drchaos @ONLINE_209 One point that I am not clear on that maybe you guys can clarify for me. Does an AW need to be preapproved for each show? Or is it once approved, you are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
Quote:

@Hanginglimbs

I agree, seems like you were given misinformation...or lack of information in general. You were wronged, and if it were me I would not do business with the people who wronged you...unless they make it right. I would be reaching out to someone related to the booth staff, or CBCS, or DW, or whoever you need to to make this right, and don't give up until you have been compensated properly. We are just joe shmoes on the forum, we can't help you.

Seeing as the Moderator already said it's your fault,
Quote:

I would make some phone calls tomorrow instead. Good luck, and sorry this happened to you!!

When I said that, I had erroneously assumed that he was a preapproved AW. If his story is accurate, I agree that someone at the CBCS booth screwed up major time!! I don't know how CBCS could correct this though. And honestly, if that situation happened to me, I'd have red flags going up and double check with other people at the booth. If I went to a CGC booth and asked for a witness and they handed me papers to witness the books myself, I'd get something in writing from them that they oked it. I'm just saying, that's what I would have done. But regardless, something, somewhere went wrong. I agree he should call or contact CBCS ASAP tomorrow.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Oh and I wasn't trying to out you Jesse_O (just trying to help him), I just mean it's probably best for him to deal with it DURING the event, or AFTER in the proper channels - the forum is probably the last place you'd want to go I'd imagine for any sort of "real life" help - especially after he paid someone money and doesn't believe he is receiving his intended result in exchange. At this stage, a phone call is your best answer @Hanginglimbs !!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@Jesse_O Oh and I wasn't trying to out you Jesse_O (just trying to help him), I just mean it's probably best for him to deal with it DURING the event, or AFTER in the proper channels - the forum is probably the last place you'd want to go I'd imagine for any sort of "real life" help - especially after he paid someone money and doesn't believe he is receiving his intended result in exchange. At this stage, a phone call is your best answer @Hanginglimbs !!

Totally agree!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O You need to be approved to witness books at all. If you are accepted as a witness you need to fill out a separate form for each and every show you attend. The witness needs to sign at the bottom (and initial several times). A CBCS representative (usually Mark) also needs to sign each form. I have more than a dozen of these forms for 2017 alone.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Last year at Rose City Comic Con, I had 40+ books, many that I wanted to be signed by celebrities that I had a scheduled autograph time for. I signed a paper letting me be my own witness, but I had to sign it before any signatures I was to obtain.

I also did pay the fees upfront to those certain artists for books being graded like Charles Soule, David Finch, Connor, Dodson, Palmioitti, etc! When I handed Soule money, he was like, "What is this for," and I said, "I'm getting this graded..." he then said, "Thank you for your honesty, I really appreciate it."

I am a strong believer in Comic Karma. Got a 9.8 on that book too.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@drchaos Thanks!! That is what I thought, but it's good to have confirmation!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Quote:

Last year at Rose City Comic Con, I had 40+ books, many that I wanted to be signed by celebrities that I had a scheduled autograph time for. I signed a paper letting me be my own witness, but I had to sign it before any signatures I was to obtain.

I also did pay the fees upfront to those certain artists for books being graded like Charles Soule, David Finch, Connor, Dodson, Palmioitti, etc! When I handed Soule money, he was like, "What is this for," and I said, "I'm getting this graded..." he then said, "Thank you for your honesty, I really appreciate it."

I am a strong believer in Comic Karma. Got a 9.8 on that book too.

Yup, that's about the way of it for me as well. Signed a form permitting me as a witness for the three day event as soon as I got there at the start of comic Con. At least two booth staff were present and participated in the transaction, aware of what was happening and answering questions. Most of my books were prepped with blue taped window boxes and personal info on the backerboard, so I even had handlers of creators without posted fees (like Ed McGuinness) let me know that it would be $10 (or whatever it was) since I was grading it.

So much is wrong here and I'm nervous about invalidating my whole order and ending up the proverbial Creek without the proverbial paddle, but I guess I'll be reaching out to customer service this week.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
The whole AW programme has a lot of grey areas when starting up. I became an AW a few months back and the information just wasn't visible and even to this day I'm just waiting for a slip up on an invisible clause or unwritten rule. When i received my approval from Mark my form showed me to be a valid witness for a year but other witnesses ive dealt with fill in a new form each show with only that shows date. My form also wasnt signed, although i was told first hand I had been approved, and it was only by chance that I got hold of Mark a couple of days before travelling to a big show and questioned this. I was informed I hadnt initialed one section hence why it hadnt been signed off (but my email notification from Mark clearly told me id been approved without any mention of missing initial).

In fairness, Mark has answered every question ive thrown at him but the concern for me is that these questions are arising constantly and when scrambling around for the information its either nowhere to be found or takes me an age to find it.

It would be a strong benefit for everyone involved if the CBCS website(not FB) had all available information including process, forms (multi event etc), exclusions and everything else you need to know all in one place. As it stands its only a matter of time before someone ends up out of pocket by a huge sum and this could be avoided
Post 24 IP   flag post
@rtdcomics It is possible that the program has evolved slightly over time or that Mark is incredibly busy and it may be asking a lot for one person to keep track of everything but my understanding is that an AW has to complete a form (signed by AW and CBCS with each blank initialed by AW, name of show and dates filled in) for each and every show where the AW has witnessed books for CBCS submissions.

As authorized witnesses it is in our best interest to police ourselves and make sure we follow the guidelines of this program to the letter. Before using CBCS I had hundreds of signatures witnessed by the other guys. Not only is it a huge convenience not to wait around for witnesses to follow us around but the prospect of going back to CGC as the only game in town is something than none of us wants.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Are you guys saying that the only qualification to being an AW is breathing? Just show up to a show, and AW your own stuff with just a form?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos dont get me wrong I am a huge fan and supporter of CBCS, Mark and all the guys here.

The point I made about getting all the info on the website is simply a process improvement one and not intended as a put down of the company. Part of my job role in employment has always been to look at the end user process and how this can be improved in whatever industry and I feel that the info on the CBCS website is far more user friendly than FB. I'd stand by that opinion. The fact that Mark is incredibly busy is one I completely understand and we have spoken several times regarding this. I dont push him for answers, waiting patiently for a response, and I always feel bad having to keep going back with new questions as I know his time is precious.

My AW form is stored on the PC signed by Mark, with my year date already on (by Mark) and with everything initialed. Every show I print a copy off and submit this with my books. This hasnt been flagged as incorrect to me but, as mentioned, this is different to other AW's I have met or spoken to which creates a grey area.

We can all openly discuss visible improvements to a system without that meaning we have problems with the company or its employees. Thats how good companies grow and develop, through open and honest conversation.

As a witness I do agree that the buck stops with us! I do my best to understand the system/process and to keep on top of it. I obviously see the benefits and rewards to being an AW hence the reason I signed up. in recent months I have avoided using CGC unless its tied to an artist/writer, CBCS would always be my first choice and im always happy to promote that to anyone i speak to.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I appreciate ALL of the AWs coming forward here and commenting!! I think it is great that everyone brings their viewpoint and ideas!! I was thinking about this as I was unable to get to sleep tonight. I see one major benefit to having an official AW page on facebook as opposed to a separate website of connected to the CBCS website. That factor is a simple one - Mark can control the content, keep the guidelines up to date, update when artists start to require separate approval or a private signing and anything else that needs to be done.

I'm sure all of you know how often the "rules of the game" change concerning signatures. Just this year, we have seen artists go from free signatures and open to witnesses to charging for witnesses and even being grading company specific. We have seen facilitators suddenly leave CBCS and creating a void for some signing opportunities. We have seen other facilitators working with artists and creators and bringing NEW opportunities for signature and sketches. If Mark had to relay all this info to a webmaster and wait on them to update, the information might be weeks old and opportunities might be missed or mistakes made. And that's IF the webmaster understands what Mark is saying and correctly types it in.

I agree there is room for improvement, I'm just not sold that a new website should be created or that it should be tied to the CBCS website, A lot of the information is time sensitive.

I DO think that a list of artists and creators who need special considerations would be a great idea. Maybe a flier could be created for cons or a pdf file that could be printed out on demand would work. I'm just throwing this out there for everyones consideration.
Post 28 IP   flag post
This also begs the question: If the creators/handlers/management are insisting on these new policies, why don't they seem to be aware of it? At least in Boston, I did not get any offers to initial/sign forms from Hughes, Romita, or Moore (or their people), despite communicating my intention to get the book witnessed and graded, paying their asking price, and having prepped books.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O the best thing to do is to get a normal forum setup instead of what we have now. You could have an entire subforum dedicated to AW stuff. Mark could just pop in and update the pinned post and tell people if they need to contact him, use Facebook.

This forum is easily found on the website since it's linked in the menu and it wouldn't require any special html knowledge to make updates. The problem is that it doesn't have a traditional forum look and it makes finding information extremely difficult.

For now though, why not take the initiative as the forum admin to copy Mark's post on FB and paste it to a pinned post on this current forum? Because God only knows if we'll ever see a real forum implemented.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600899 97 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?