Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Canadian turn around time15195

Collector Brockstar84 private msg quote post Address this user
So I sent in and tracked three comics being delivered about 11 weeks ago now. I still haven't seen my comics even being updated to received. I know they were delivered and I can't seem to get anyone to get back to me. Has anyone else dealt with this with the Canadian office? It says max 8 week turnaround and I'm sitting here with no response to any emails or calls and my status as submitted still. This was a trial run to see if I would give cbcs some business as they were operating in Canada, so far all they are doing is driving me right back to CGC.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Standard turnaround has been 17 weeks + depending on services selected. Not sure where you get 8 weeks?

Check this thread clickable text
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector j_nocera private msg quote post Address this user
Yep. I am having the same problem. Sent mine in 9 weeks ago and my account still says "submitted". I called customer service in Dallas. First guy told me to call the one responsible for the Oakville operation - I did....and he never answered his phone and his voicemail was full. Then I called CS again and they told me that they are so backlogged that they can't even update the system for several weeks at a shot. Overall, I'm not happy. So, you're not alone. I have thousands of dollars of books sitting out there somewhere in North America and no one can tell me where they are.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Well at least I'm not alone. I also have tried Steve and had nothing but a full voicemail. Hopefully one day I see some activity. I have sent comics to CGC since this order, had them signed, graded and gotten back to me already so I have been a bit disappointed. If you click CBCS Canada it says turnaround is 8 weeks, I assumed that was accurate as the other turnaround was for the US office I assumed. That being said within a week of comics getting to CGC I receive confirmation emails, updates on my account etc. This has been underwhelming to say the least. I hope they clean it up, I'd love to give them more business but this has been a bit of a frustrating experience.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
@Brockstar84 @j_nocera Oakville is just a relay station for Canadian orders, no grading actually occurs there. Once a sufficient number of orders has arrived they are bundled and shipped to Dallas for processing. This is usually the point at which they are changed to received. Once the books are processed they are packed up and wait for a sufficent number of orders to ship back to Canada, which are then unbundled and shipped back to you.

With COVID, Steve (who I believe lives in Buffalo) has not been able to cross the border to attend to the Oakville location so I'm not sure who is handling that end of things right now.

I sent an order that I was in no rush for to Oakville back in December 2020, and I must have just caught a south bound shipment as my books were marked as received a couple weeks later for pressing and grading. With no fast passes, those books are currently listed as Labels for the last couple of weeks.

My recommendation for Canadian users is to ship direct to Dallas (I find UPS very affordable), and when done they will ship directly to you. You will be responsible for a $25 fee from FedEx for customs processing when it comes back. Using fast pass with no pressing, I have a January order that arrived back to me in early March.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Very frustrating for a first time customer to go through this experience. One doesn't really know if their books are safe. You have to assume so. I sent 8 books as my first order. Thousands of dollars sitting in limbo. No choice but to trust the process.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
You will be responsible for a $25 fee from FedEx for customs processing when it comes back.

aaannddd...you should be able to get that fee waived (I always have!)

It's a brokerage fee rather than actual customs/duty - explain that there are your own books returning after appraisal - they will say they should not have been returned on a business account - you say - you can't control how they return the books - might take talking to 2 people but like I say - I've always had the fee waved!

@Caffeine_Kid @Brockstar84 ...yeah..this border closure really messed with CBCS Canada operations - I had an email from Steve maybe a week ago? (can try yourself spaulus@cbcscomics.com) confirming they have my May order - even though no updates on the dashboard.

I remain hopeful that as the border eases then CBCS Canada will transition back to more reasonable transit times.
In the "before times" there was only a 2 to 4 week difference start to finish with the posted CBCS US TAT's - and at least for me there it was cheaper shipping and no hassle to get the bogus FedEx charges lifted!

my May garbage books are:

Marvel Spotlight 32
Marvel Tales 106
Rom 1
Sandman (1989) 1
Star Wars 1, 42 and 68
TMNT Adventures 1
X-Men 121 and 221

all for PC - sent my best copies will likely grade and sell doubles I have of Star Wars 1, Marvel Tales 106, Rom 1 and 2 extra X-Men 221 (direct and so much fun variant)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I've had 50/50 luck getting that waived. It seems to get waived when you can get the people you are talking to flustered and confused and on a merry-go-round of call and email forwarding.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockstar84
Well at least I'm not alone. I also have tried Steve and had nothing but a full voicemail. Hopefully one day I see some activity. I have sent comics to CGC since this order, had them signed, graded and gotten back to me already so I have been a bit disappointed. If you click CBCS Canada it says turnaround is 8 weeks, I assumed that was accurate as the other turnaround was for the US office I assumed. That being said within a week of comics getting to CGC I receive confirmation emails, updates on my account etc. This has been underwhelming to say the least. I hope they clean it up, I'd love to give them more business but this has been a bit of a frustrating experience.

Did you check the thread by @Darryl_H?

Not to give them excuses but, CBCS has been getting slammed with new business on top of their normal 100+ book submissions. Borock the President himself has been working 7 days a week to help in grading. I can’t speak for anything of the Canada “office” as I think that whole setup is joke; I don’t understand why Canada customers don’t ship directly to Dallas. It seems CBCS is severely lacking in customer service in certain aspects, but they are getting overwhelmed with inquiries. There are only certain amount of hours of the day and a certain amount of people to handle the inquiries; many of which are adding to TATs because they are having to adjust invoices after the fact based on those inquiries. If people would double check there invoices before going full send we’d all be in a better place. I have 1 ASP book in that I doubt I’ll see anytime soon because some knuckle heads can’t take 2 seconds to make sure they correctly filled out their invoices, I digress.

The waters will clear and your questions will be answered.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

I can’t speak for anything of the Canada “office” as I think that whole setup is joke; I don’t understand why Canada customers don’t ship directly to Dallas.

The appeal was that the submission process was tailored for Canadian customers in that the pricing and taxes were in Canadian dollars, there's a submission form tailored for French Canadians, and by shipping your books to Oakville, Ontario, it would eliminate paying customs fees when the books returned via the same Canadian distributor.

I had "first submission jitters" too. From the time I submitted my order online and receiving them back was exactly 21 weeks. I would check my dashboard EVERY day to see if there was any progress. Given that I was receiving email updates from CBCS, I don't check the dashboard nearly as much now that I have a second submission of books at CBCS
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Quote:

I can’t speak for anything of the Canada “office” as I think that whole setup is joke; I don’t understand why Canada customers don’t ship directly to Dallas.

The appeal was that the submission process was tailored for Canadian customers in that the pricing and taxes were in Canadian dollars, there's a submission form tailored for French Canadians, and by shipping your books to Oakville, Ontario, it would eliminate paying customs fees when the books returned via the same Canadian distributor.

I had "first submission jitters" too. From the time I submitted my order online and receiving them back was exactly 21 weeks. I would check my dashboard EVERY day to see if there was any progress. Given that I was receiving email updates from CBCS, I don't check the dashboard nearly as much now that I have a second submission of books at CBCS

Ya Never understood why you’d have pay customs on your own belongings or return services. You could always become a US territory😋
Post 11 IP   flag post
Their "dedicated Canadian customer service" claim in an outright lie. You call the number and they clearly have no access to any viable information and are in Pakistan lol Let's hope they clean it up because it's nice to have some competition for CGC. That being said I just sent about 20 comics to CGC today. When my signature series comics are fulfilled and back to me before I even see an update from my CBCS submission that was all I really needed to see.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya Never understood why you’d have pay customs on your own belongings or return services. You could always become a US territory😋

It's mainly the shipping companies - we don't actually have to pay duties but they charge a brokerage fee on any package coming into Canada, needed or not!

I figure it's an extra revenue stream for FedEx etc. - charge people something they don't have to pay and see how many complain - I'll bet most just pay!

.....as far as becoming a US territory.....don't make us burn the White House down again buddy!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

.....as far as becoming a US territory.....don't make us burn the White House down again buddy!!

The Major General, Robert Ross, who led the charge to burn the Whitehouse down is buried here in Halifax (the cemetery is directly across the street from where I work). Not too many locals realize it, but it's a BIG deal for the American tourists who come visit.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
The charges that you get aren't so much brokerage fees as they are taxes. It is assumed that the books were purchased from a US source and the government wants their tax cut. The forms that some fill out are not legally supposed to be applied to comics but some customs workers allow it. It used to be that only if the item exceed about $100 CAD that they would consider applying charges but this has changed as the number of online sales has increased. If people wanted the potential charges to disappear it would be only by pressuring MPs to consider changing the exemption laws as to what crosses the border as requiring service in the US but are owned by a Canadian citizen. The form which some use has a very small list of items that show just how out of date these exemption laws are. The Canadian outlet can by-pass these charges because it is an American owned company moving their product between their own facilities.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's mainly the shipping companies - we don't actually have to pay duties but they charge a brokerage fee on any package coming into Canada, needed or not!

I figure it's an extra revenue stream for FedEx etc. - charge people something they don't have to pay and see how many complain - I'll bet most just pay!

I don’t use it for anything 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s tainted by raging Oompa Loompa anyway .
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector rgreenson private msg quote post Address this user
I've been keeping track of my orders and watching how long each part takes.

For those of you who haven't seen this before, the log jam for us Canucks is to and from the US. And the TAT doesn't actually start until Dallas has received it (The day after).

Post 17 IP   flag post
That is helpful rgreenson! Thanks. But now it makes me worried. I sent my books away 9 weeks ago...and it still says "submitted" - except for row 4, your submit vs. received dates are much more reasonable!
Post 18 IP   flag post
That order hasn't hit the grading room yet and it's been almost 22 weeks since submission.

Going by the trend I don't expect to see the July submission back until December.
But I know me, I'm sure I'll submit something else along the way before then.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@rgreenson is the "received" date the day it was marked received by CBCS or the day the delivery was confirmed by the postal service? I'm still waking up but I think I answered my own question
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@rgreenson is the "received" date the day it was marked received by CBCS or the day the delivery was confirmed by the postal service? I'm still waking up but I think I answered my own question

Received date is the date that CBCS in Dallas tells me they have the order and the regular TAT starts.

So you were correct.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Hello fellow Canucks,

Any one have any updates? I'm just curious to see how everyone's orders have progressed?

My current states are below. Nothing changed for me just higher numbers. I sent Darryl a message to take a look. With the border now open (Fingers crossed Steve P is fully vaccinated) hopefully the Ship to Canada timeline shrinks.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenson
Hello fellow Canucks,

Any one have any updates? I'm just curious to see how everyone's orders have progressed?

My current states are below. Nothing changed for me just higher numbers. I sent Darryl a message to take a look. With the border now open (Fingers crossed Steve P is fully vaccinated) hopefully the Ship to Canada timeline shrinks.

sorry..no updates.....

I have Feb, March, April and May orders in....the Feb on has been in labels/grading for like a month?? - March and April - no movement.

May.....F@$king May order!!....not even acknowledged as received - my tracking says it was delivered to Oakville May 12 - over 3 months ago!!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
My first ever order in February took exactly 21 weeks from the time I entered the order online until I got them back

My second order will be in CBCS' hands for 20 weeks as of tomorrow, and it is still in the "grading" stage
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

May.....F@$king May order!!....not even acknowledged as received - my tracking says it was delivered to Oakville May 12 - over 3 months ago!!!

No wonder I haven't moved off of Submitted, my order only arrived in Oakville 10 weeks ago. I hope they get to the point of charging me before 2023 when my credit card expires. 🙄
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenson
Hello fellow Canucks,

sorry..no updates.....

I have Feb, March, April and May orders in....the Feb on has been in labels/grading for like a month?? - March and April - no movement.

Ah, looks like mine isn't the only one. Mine was delivered within a few days of yours (your May 12th order) and I am in the same boat. In fact Steve Ricketts just replied to my update request and said that my order doesn't even show in the system yet.....This being my first order ever makes me EXTREMELY nervous....
Post 26 IP   flag post
I am right there with you guys. My order was May 16 and it still just says "submitted". Not even an acknowledgement of receipt. I talked with customer service several times and that was useless. I emailed Daryl and never got a response. I don't like having to trust that my books, worth several thousand dollars, are "out there, somewhere". I don't mind the wait....it's the lack (i.e., total absence) of communication. Lousy business practice IMO, busy or not.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@j_nocera obviously they were very misleading with their Canadian submissions. I would have just sent directly to them in Texas had I know this was the shit show that would ensue. As such I have obviously gone back to CGC and will remain there, just wanted to try the competition out lol failed experiment.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Chewy private msg quote post Address this user
It's at least a little comforting knowing others in the same boat. my submission arrived in Oakville on May 28. the fact that it still only says submitted has me worried just based on Canada Post's track record.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm not worried...just frustrated!

I've had it take 8 or 10 weeks before the books showed as received..I have my tracking and an email from the CBCS Canada rep so I have pretty good comfort that my books are in hand - just not updated in the system.

This whole border closure has been a shit show - have a few books I should send but will go through CBCS Dallas rather than CBCS Canada for most orders going forward until things get back to "normal"

For PC books I'll still go the CBCS Canada route even if I mail direct to CBCS Dallas I can have them returned as CBCS Canada (just use the Canada forms) and I've been choosing in person pickup to save on shipping - will be interesting to see how/if that works when my books are ready.

Books for sale I'll do CBCS Dallas with in person pick up from MCS - even the order I want to send I might keep 2 of the 5 books but I can just get MCS to ship them back - who knows though...maybe I'll want the $$$ more and actually sell the extra copies too!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
600914 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?