Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCertified Comics For Sale

Ebay Payment Dispute Update14988

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My previous thread was archived since this has dragged out so long but I wanted to share the outcome of my recent dispute here.

Link to previous archived thread:

Dispute thread

First of all my instincts about ebay being much more helpful than Paypal were correct. Ebay was very helpful and supportive throughout the whole process.

As we know with Paypal it is pointless to fight a buyer wanting to return an item or cancel a sale as Paypal will always side with the buyer even if the return is simply because the buyer changed their mind.

As ebay has cut out Paypal and now processes payments through their own system I decided to fight when a buyer wanted to return an item as I thought ebay would take my side.

Ebay did take my side, they were awesome but ultimately they refunded the buyer who had gotten their credit card company to complete a chargeback. Ebay also charged me a $20 fee on top of the refund.

When I followed up with ebay they told me that there is no way to appeal a chargeback and they do not have any further information from the credit card company regarding their decision in favor of the buyer and could not provide a specific reason as to why I had lost.

In addition to losing the cost of shipping the item (which was returned to me, not packed well but arrived safely minus the plastic sleeve that was protecting the slab from scratches), the buyer left me a neutral feedback with this convoluted wording:

Item showed up in great condition! However, I realized I already owned this issue in a trade paperback so I didn’t need it anymore and returned it for a refund. While the information was lacking about the book itself, the seller was very communicative but refused to refund me for the book until I returned it after having contacted PayPal who then had to contact eBay. Be wary of this seller.

When I put a request on ebay's website to have the feedback removed I received an e-mail denying my request.

I called this morning to appeal and reminded the customer service person that the returned item case was resolved in my favor and I had been told by customer service that the feedback should be removed.

I was told this morning that I should have an answer within 24 hours.

For any sellers that receive a return request I would recommend that you do not fight it because the credit card company will side with the buyer even when you have a good case and ebay appears helpful.

You might also want to add eBay user id: tobjohanse_0 to your blocked buyers list.

I have relisted the item on ebay for $95 but will honor the original price of $73
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering about this the other day. Definitely a shitty result, particularly when even ebay sides with you
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I had a similar result. They sided with me, but said that it was the cost of doing business. Nothing you can do if they dispute with credit card. It really sux but what can you do?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like a win/lose outcome. Not sure if I should clap or boo.

On a side note...
That's an awful long feedback. Did they increase the amount of characters you get?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I've not sold too many items on ebay but I for one do not like usernames with _0 etc like this person.

Makes me think they are in screwing people game and get themselves blocked a lot so they add name_# where they can just cycle through #'s

p.s. - neutral feed back was a dick move - was their fault they bought when they already had the book and completely reasonable to not refund until returned
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Like I said ebay was awesome but they are not the decider, much like Paypal the credit card companies will automatically side with the buyer.

I may change my listings to allow returns but for now I will hold off as I do not want to encourage buyers by giving them any ideas about returning slabbed books being OK.

Next time I get a situation like this I will just pay for the return label.

If it happens often enough (so far it has been very rare for me) I will change the policy on the listings so I might recoup the shipping.

For now avoiding returns and damaged slabs keeps me on the no return policy side of things.

If you read the other thread, all communication from the buyer is rambling and convoluted much like the feedback.

Hopefully ebay has my back and the neutral feedback will go away soon.

Given the buyer's behavior I consider myself lucky to have gotten the book back safely.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I hope this will a rare occurrence since the guy seemed like a special kind of stupid
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos There's something eerie about the way your buyer has been so straightforward and honest with his absurd reasonings. Presenting it as if he truly believes it's completely logical and rational. It reminds me of a story in book 2 of Maus. The father is a concentration camp survivor living in America. When his wife dies, he quickly takes her half eaten box of cereal back to the store to exchange for the type of cereal that he likes to eat. I think that some people, through trauma or otherwise, develop a "survivors mentality"...a very self-serving form of logic where taking care of their own needs is the only logic that makes sense to them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@drchaos There's something eerie about the way your buyer has been so straightforward and honest with his absurd reasonings. Presenting it as if he truly believes it's completely logical and rational. It reminds me of a story in book 2 of Maus. The father is a concentration camp survivor living in America. When his wife dies, he quickly takes her half eaten box of cereal back to the store to exchange for the type of cereal that he likes to eat. I think that some people, through trauma or otherwise, develop a "survivors mentality"...a very self-serving form of logic where taking care of their own needs is the only logic that makes sense to them.

This is part of the reason that I felt compelled to share it all here as it is something we so rarely see at this level of stupid.

A historical record is merited.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry for the ordeal. The whole situation is just asinine. And thanks for the heads up. He's blocked.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
blocked
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of a bummer. More pressure on the Seller to just take the return, no matter how ridiculous the reason. 🙄
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ebay has responded and will be removing the neutral feedback from the buyer.

Thank you for taking the time to speak to us.

My name is Chris, and I am happy to assist you today.

I understand that you need help with regards to your feedback for the item Evil Ernie (1991) # 5 - CBCS Graded 8.5 WHITE Pages SS Brian Pulido (184234063460) I will try my best to check all the details for you.

I’ve reviewed the feedback and I can confirm that it qualifies for removal. It will be removed from your account within the next 24 to 48 hours. I do understand that it's not your fault and we want to help you out reach your sales and be a Top Rated Seller

Please do remember that eBay got your back with this kind of cases. We are going to continue to serve the best possible way we can for the best selling experience and improving our seller's confidence in selling here on our platform.
Stay safe with your loved ones. Before you end reading this email, please smile for your loved ones for the rest of the day! High five!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
At least they came through for you on the feedback. It’s literally the least they could do.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Pedigree private msg quote post Address this user
this is an easy block for me, thanks.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Ebay has responded and will be removing the neutral feedback from the buyer.

Thank you for taking the time to speak to us.

My name is Chris, and I am happy to assist you today.

I understand that you need help with regards to your feedback for the item Evil Ernie (1991) # 5 - CBCS Graded 8.5 WHITE Pages SS Brian Pulido (184234063460) I will try my best to check all the details for you.

I’ve reviewed the feedback and I can confirm that it qualifies for removal. It will be removed from your account within the next 24 to 48 hours. I do understand that it's not your fault and we want to help you out reach your sales and be a Top Rated Seller

Please do remember that eBay got your back with this kind of cases. We are going to continue to serve the best possible way we can for the best selling experience and improving our seller's confidence in selling here on our platform.
Stay safe with your loved ones. Before you end reading this email, please smile for your loved ones for the rest of the day! High five!

Cory - great for you - but I have made up my mind. I am going to stop selling slabs via ebay as they do not got the back for their Top Rated Sellers
Post 16 IP   flag post
@drchaos @poka
I know you both have done a fair amount of sales on Ebay. Are either of you taking a serious look at Myslabs.com?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos @poka
I know you both have done a fair amount of sales on Ebay. Are either of you taking a serious look at Myslabs.com?

no. I will stick with MCS. For the past year they have done 20% of my sales. I am now giving them the other 80%
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've been making that transition to MCS since last year. So much easier to let them handle it. Plus their rates are fair.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
@drchaos @poka

no. I will stick with MCS. For the past year they have done 20% of my sales. I am now giving them the other 80%

When Myslabs gets more traffic perhaps I will start selling books there.

Right now I am down to just under 500 books on Comic Connect which is where I started initially.

I will continue to put my current inventory and slabs purchased locally on ebay while continuing to give my CBCS submissions and some other books to MCS.

Currently I have about 2,200 books listed on ebay and about 800 on MCS.

Also there are many, many books in the pipeline.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@drchaos For the higher dollar books that you have possession of, you might consider offering them on myslabs.com as well as Ebay. Even if you offer at the same price, most buyers like myself would still save almost 10% by purchasing on Myslabs. So many times I've looked at higher dollar books on Ebay and the only thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger is the sales tax that I know will be added.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos For the higher dollar books that you have possession of, you might consider offering them on myslabs.com as well as Ebay. Even if you offer at the same price, most buyers like myself would still save almost 10% by purchasing on Myslabs. So many times I've looked at higher dollar books on Ebay and the only thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger is the sales tax that I know will be added.

you would only save if seller does not add sales tax
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

you would only save if seller does not add sales tax

@poka unless the seller is located in my state of California, I believe it would actually be illegal for them to add sales tax to my purchase. Interstate commerce is legally protected from barriers such as sales tax. The rare exception would be an out-of-state seller that does so much business in California that they are considered to have a de-facto presence in the state. That's what's so exciting to me about Myslabs vs Ebay. If anyone is adding sales tax and keeping for themselves, that would be a fairly serious fraud.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:

I do offer discounts on ebay items purchased by board members through Paypal or in person for cash.

See the thread below:

Saddle River Comics - New eBay ID & Link
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Blocked
Post 25 IP   flag post
600865 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?