Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Ebay Payment Dispute14485

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So I had a buyer purchase a signed, CBCS graded book for $73 plus shipping.

Buyer decided to return the item because he "already has a trade paperback with this story and no longer needs the book".

He also added some drivel about how the item was not as described "because I did not include pictures of the interior pages in my listing".

When the buyer initially tried to convince me to accept the return he made the following statements:

The book was packed well.

The book arrived in excellent condition.

The book is still in the case and will be returned to me in the condition I sent it.

It boggles my mind how the buyer can claim the item is not as described due to the lack of photos of the interior if he has not cracked the case to inspect the interior to determine if there is even a problem with the interior to begin with.

Within 24 hours of our initial exchange (after he had opened the item not as described case) the buyer has now initiated a payment dispute with his credit card company.

To dispute the claim I ebay wants me to upload an image file to prove that the item was as I described in my listing.

Before I call ebay tomorrow to figure out what they expect me to provide I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has dealt with this problem.

This is a graded book and the listing had high resolution scans of the front and the back of the book.

I will post the messages in separate posts below:
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Buyer posted the following when opening the return:

Order number
26-06941-81896

Reason for return
Changed my mind

Comments
Hello. I just recently purchased this Evil Ernie comic from your store and I greatly appreciate the care that went into the packaging, it's in great condition and everything. However, due to the fact that you haven't posted the pages inside the book only showing the cover art and that information was not covered in the description that this book is in a series that I already own "Evil Ernie: Youth Gone Wild" If you would send me a refund I'll gladly return the book in its safe condition to your possession
Post 2 IP   flag post
Last post I received from buyer after I told him that he could not return the graded book that he received in excellent condition as he stated in his first message:

Uh, yeah. The valid reason is that I already own this book in a trade paperback and I don’t need it anymore. So I would like a refund, please. It would look good on you to be a respectful business and respecting your customers. I have a photo disclosed here that I have not taken it out of its plastic casing, I’ll have it ready to go. I beg you to reconsider.
To reply now, see the request details.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Since a buyer wins nearly ever time on a return dispute, is there a thing to be gained by arguing and refusing? Unsure what you want the result to be, since ebay nearly always sides with the buyer and you wind up accepting the return even if you have stated you do not accept returns.

Just seems a way to further complicate and build drama to me at least...if he doesnt want the book, he will manage to return it regardless if you agree or not
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos First, I hope you will eventually reveal the username this idiot for the rest of us. Second, isn't he going to absorb like $30 in total shipping costs as a result of this transaction?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

Since there is no more Paypal I figured I could win the dispute with ebay. The credit card chargeback seems to be a bigger hurdle than winning the ebay case.

@EbayMafia I am not sure. Since my listings state no returns I am worried I may get burned on shipping both ways. Given that I am supposed to upload a gif file to "prove the item was as described" I am not liking my odds here.

I plan to call ebay tomorrow to explain to them that I did everything right and ask them what I need to do.

As you can see from the buyer's text he is returning the item because he changed his mind and has latched on to the idea that not posting images of the interior of a graded book means item not as described somehow.

Ebay really should see what is going on and just fix this without me having to do anything but alas here we are.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I just found the details of the chargeback.

Seller included the following statement:

Details from buyer
Hello, I would like to report about another recent item I had bought from another seller on eBay but realized I don't need it anymore because it was falsely advertised to me as a different book when it actuality it was just a single-par issue of "Evil Ernie: Youth Gone Wild" a comic I already own. The eBay seller in question did not disclose this information on the item nor did they provide photographic evidence that disclosed it was a book I already owned in trade paperback. Even though they stated that all sales were final they neglected to do the research on the book and present it on the listing. Ebay Item number: 184234063460 Ebay Order number: 26-06941-81896 I request that eBay please step in at once and take care of this situation and I would like my refund IMMEDIATELY. Please reply as soon as possible. This is NOT how to treat your customers and sellers like these need to be dealt with.
Post 7 IP   flag post
This is the item listed and shipped:

Evil Ernie (1991) # 5 - CBCS Graded 8.5 WHITE Pages SS Brian Pulido

Condition:--
“CBCS Graded 8.5 WHITE Pages SS Brian Pulido”

Returns:
Seller does not accept returns | See details

Item specifics
Seller Notes: “CBCS Graded 8.5 WHITE Pages SS Brian Pulido”
Main Character: Evil Ernie / Lady Death Publisher: Eternity
Grade: 8.5 VF+ Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
Certification: CBCS Certification Number: 16-3A79C52-023
Signed: Yes

Book pictured is the actual book that you will be getting. I will combine shipping charges if you purchase two or more of my listings (please send me a message so I know not to ship your items separately).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If you listed it with no returns accepted, the only way he would get a refund is if he gave a valid reason for return that falls under the eBay Buyer protection program. His subject title “Changed my mind” is not a valid reason under that program.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Customers this dumb need to be led like old yeller out behind the barn. 👍

It's the humane thing to do.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@drchaos a search of CBCS sold listings gives over 9,000 fairly recent results. It may be useful to explain to Ebay how that relates to your item and ask which of those listings showed pictures of the interior pages.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Since there is no more Paypal I figured I could win the dispute with ebay. The credit card chargeback seems to be a bigger hurdle than winning the ebay case.

At least a credit card chargeback would make Ebay your partner in this situation, they don't want people doing that any more than the sellers do. You may want to ask Ebay what they will do to discipline him or warn other sellers about him if he goes outside the Ebay system to obtain a credit card chargeback.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Details from buyer
Hello, I would like to report about another recent item I had bought from another seller on eBay but realized I don't need it anymore because....

This part is very revealing - another item, another seller. How many times does he do this?
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos It’s funny that he’s trying to say you didn’t do the research when he’s the one who bought the book he already had because somehow you’re supposed to know what trades he owns.

I would respond to the dispute by saying you sold the original comic and never made any claim that it was anything more or less. Comics get reprinted in many, many collected editions over the years and that the seller should know what books he has in order to avoid buying a comic whose story he already owns.

Posting pictures of the interior is irrelevant because the issue is clearly indicated on the case and on the listing, which the buyer should be easily able to check against his book to see if it was reprinted inside. After all, if they were necessary then how has the seller determined that it is already part of the book he owns and thus open this dispute without having opened the case? All the information the buyer needed to make an informed decision was disclosed and made clearly available

That the buyer chose to purchase a book without doing his due dilgence is no fault of the seller.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
And how does he know that book is in his trade book, not like he has x-ray vision and looked thru the cover and saw the pages.

Having buyers remorse and pretending to be this stupid to save $73, I'm amazed people have no respect for themselves.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
And how does he know that book is in his trade book, not like he has x-ray vision and looked thru the cover and saw the pages.

I love that question. You should be a lawyer. If nothing in the listing tipped him off, then certainly nothing he recieved would have given him further information.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

I love that question. You should be a lawyer. If nothing in the listing tipped him off, then certainly nothing he recieved would have given him further information.

Exactly

Buyers remorse with a dumb excuse to return.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I had a guy take a hammer to my book and tried to get me to pay for regrading. I called ebay and told them to read the emails and after doing that, they sided with me and actually gave me 1/2 the books value on top of the returned book. Losing a dispute is not a forgone conclusion. I would call ebay and explain the situation and tell them to read the emails and judge for themselves. To be honest I asked for just the shipping charges. The ebay rep was so appalled from what he read he pushed the issue and gave me 50% of the books value. So ebay will listen if you can give them a compelling reason to listen to you.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

Having buyers remorse and pretending to be this stupid to save $73, I'm amazed people have no respect for themselves.

I don't think he is pretending to be stupid.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I had a guy take a hammer to my book and tried to get me to pay for regrading. I called ebay and told them to read the emails and after doing that, they sided with me and actually gave me 1/2 the books value on top of the returned book. Losing a dispute is not a forgone conclusion. I would call ebay and explain the situation and tell them to read the emails and judge for themselves. To be honest I asked for just the shipping charges. The ebay rep was so appalled from what he read he pushed the issue and gave me 50% of the books value. So ebay will listen if you can give them a compelling reason to listen to you.

My plan is to try to reason with ebay on the phone.

After they hear me out I will look to them for very detailed instructions on how they want me to handle this.

If I wasn't aware of ebay's reputation of always siding with the buyers this would seem like a slam dunk in my favor.

Right now I am very pessimistic and angered even though the buyer seems to have done everything in their power to hand me a win.
Post 20 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
If you find that things are leaning away from that "win', you might try to compromise with the buyer paying the return shipping, you accepting the return. You're out one shipping charge, you got the book back, you get your eBay fees back. There are worse outcomes than that.

And THEN take the advice of @southerncross

Quote:
Customers this dumb need to be led like old yeller out behind the barn. 👍

It's the humane thing to do.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
I would just accept the return then block the buyer so you don’t have to deal with that non sense.

I had one guy who wanted to purchase a book but I wouldn’t accept his offers then he tries to bad mouth CBCS like it’s not CGC like that would make me sell it. I said ok fine and blocked him. Now you are out luck with all my listings. No more aggravation
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Details from buyer
Hello, I would like to report about another recent item I had bought from another seller on eBay but realized I don't need it anymore because it was falsely advertised to me as a different book when it actuality it was just a single-par issue of "Evil Ernie: Youth Gone Wild" a comic I already own. The eBay seller in question did not disclose this information on the item nor did they provide photographic evidence that disclosed it was a book I already owned in trade paperback. Even though they stated that all sales were final they neglected to do the research on the book and present it on the listing. Ebay Item number: 184234063460 Ebay Order number: 26-06941-81896 I request that eBay please step in at once and take care of this situation and I would like my refund IMMEDIATELY. Please reply as soon as possible. This is NOT how to treat your customers and sellers like these need to be dealt with.
This buyer is an ignorant A-hole. I hope it works out good for you. He needs to be called out.
Post 23 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Its these stories that turn me off to eBay. I'd really like to know who the buyer is.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Ditto... I don't need this dude bidding/winning on anything of mine
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
I would just accept the return then block the buyer so you don’t have to deal with that non sense.

not to make a big thing here, but is eBay name would be nice so that we all don't need to deal with him. i also think eBay will side with you.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
The forum is and will always be the best place to sell. Ebay has gone to the dogs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
The fact he gave a different reason in the credit card dispute might help your case. But, I’d be inclined to simply accept the return & block the guy.

That said, this would set a bad Precedent, if e-bay REQUIRED interior pics of graded books?

I sold a rather hard-to-find SNES game awhile back. The buyer messaged me that they wanted to return it because it was a birthday gift for her son & he didn’t like the game.

I was rather shocked, how is her kid’s taste my responsibility? But I accepted the return, explaining that I “don’t normally do this”. Fortunately, it sold rather quickly once I relisted it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos

Once again, buyer did not provide a valid reason for return and you will not have to refund.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I mean, what is the seller’s responsibility?

Describe the item & its condition accurately, then deliver said item in stated condition.

The series & issue # are in the title, in the description, & pictured on the label. The condition is also listed in all three places. AND third party certified, therefore, not up for debate.

He stated it got there safely.

Your obligation was fulfilled.

The Buyer is responsible to read the description, confirm it is what he wants based on the description given & pay.

I could see someone messaging & saying “oh man, I totally forgot I already had a copy of this! LOL, my bad.”

For the Buyer not take ANY personal responsibility in this instance is just silly.

The “he didn’t post pics of the interior” is a desperate, secondary ploy.

He has a trade of this series & didn’t realize this issue was in there? Huh? Isn’t that a plus? Now he has one to read & one slabbed.

My guess? The guy is on a tight budget & probably shouldn’t be buying collectibles.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601364 93 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?