Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Movie Collections II: Share your Highlights, New Acquisitions, and more!14852

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Continuing the old thread by @00slim

Those of you that enjoy collecting movies/tv shows on physical media can show off highlights, new acquisitions, wish lists, etc!

So a release I’d been waiting for for YEARS finally came out early last month and my copy arrived earlier this week!

The Black Cauldron is somewhat infamous in Disney fandom as it’s one of the movies in their main canon that they mostly pretend doesn’t exist, and due to changes at the studio during it’s production supposedly had around 12-minutes of finished animation cut to make it more kid-friendly (it is Disney’s first PG animated feature).

This release comes as a Disney movie club exclusive. It’s pretty barebones including the movie, a deleted scenes and an unrelated (aside from being spooky, I guess) Donald Duck short.

With this release, the last two Disney Animated features left to get a blu ray release are the package films Melody Time and Make Mine Music. Fingers crossed that they get released in due time as well!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Very cool!

I’m not sure how popular it would be given its history, but I’m guessing Disney won’t ever give ‘Song of the South’ a legit re-release. Completists would probably want it, but not the general public.

As far as recent orders, did pre-order the “Parks & Recreation” blu-ray box set. The DVDs look like hell on an HD TV.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah, I don’t see Song of the South making an appearance. Personally what I would love to see would be a division within Disney that creates high-end home video releases of their titles targeting an older, more sophisticated audience. Basically like a Criterion Collection specifically for Disney titles.

They could release their less politically correct titles but include bonus features, video essays, and documentaries covering the history of the production but also explaining the socio-political context of the production and of the subject matter.
Post 3 IP   flag post
And they could charge Criterion prices and go out of their way to either make the releases very limited, or made to order. As in, they only print the number of copies ordered within a certain window.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I feel like Disney was kinda, sorta heading in that direction when they were first starting to release movies on dvd. Their first few dvds had that more minimalistic cover art that wasn’t packed with characters and bright colors to attract children and were packed with the type of bonus features that wouldn’t be of interest to kids. Unfortunately that push didn’t last too long

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I opened a draw in an end table in our movie room the other day. I found the original trilogy Star Wars VCR tapes inside. They were unopened. We haven't owned a VCR in years. LOL.

I believe they are finally headed for the trash.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The VHS release of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition was my first ever ebay purchase. I now have four copies of the original Star Wars Trilogy on VHS. Both standard and Special Editions in both Full Screen and Widescreen…I too have not owned a VHS player in ages…maybe decades at this point. I kinda want to get the Making of Star Wars on VHS though 🤔
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Why on video? Do they not make it on any other format? Is it that Lucas tinkered with it like he did with the original movies?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Mostly for completion’s sake. I like that it has the same design as the other VHS sets of the time. The VHS version was a mail-in exclusive with the voice over redone by Don LaFontaine and hasn’t been re-released. The original version is included on the blu ray release, which I do have

Post 9 IP   flag post
My friend called me because he knew I’d been trying to get an X-Box Series X for a while now. He said he had it in his cart online if I still wanted one. Long story short, he’ll be picking it up for me later this week!

I’ve been buying new movies in blu-ray/4k combo packs in anticipation of eventually upgrading to a 4k player.

But since the new X-Box plays 4k discs, I thought I’d grab a couple new ones.

I’ve heard Jaws is amazing in 4k, so I grabbed that.

And since I can’t seem to find my copy of Thor: Ragnarok anywhere & knowing how good that would look in 4k, I went ahead and purchased it, too. I lend out way too many movies. It has come back to bite me many times.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Awesome! I have an older 4k tv that doesn’t support HDR. I don’t know if it’s because of that or just diminishing returns but I haven’t been in a mad rush to jump to 4K. I do have a few, like 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the first two seasons of Westworld but I’m still more than happy with blu ray.

I’d love to get an X-Box Series X but I’m also not in a huge hurry simply because the Xbox One still supports a lot of current releases.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I know what you mean. I’m interested to see how noticeable the difference is.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Well, it’s not in my collection yet, but I was able to acquire advanced tickets for Black Widow! A theatre near me has a slightly advanced screening, Thursday July 8th. I’m kinda stoked.
Post 13 IP   flag post
lol, nice! My co-worker confirmed her tickets last week. She’s apparently seen every MCU movie day one. The last one I saw in Theaters was Thor Ragnarok and the only comic book movie I’ve seen on opening day was Logan
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t own a copy but who has seen Dead Heat with Treat Williams & Joe Piscopo? It’s one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Murmonster

I haven’t. Looks like the blu-ray is out of print (and rather expensive) but the DVD is only $5.99 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053TWW7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D5HSXC4FYZ41R540N6N3" target="_blank">clickable text
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Thanks I’m about to place an Amazon order so I’ll grab the DVD. It used to stream on Prime video for free but no more. Blu-ray is $100 and VHS is $25 damn!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
This made my day! Just got this in the mail! The 2-Disc Robocop steelbook from Arrow.

I had missed it when it was originally released but then I saw the list of features and saw that in included the network television cut and I had to buy it right away! I think the theatrical release is a little redundant just because it is so similar to the director’s cut but it’s hard to imagine what they would have to do to the movie to air it on network tv. It also apparently uses alternate takes and shots in a few places as well.

The set also includes a booklet with a few essays on the movie, it’s production etc.

I’m a big fan of the movie so of course this isn’t the only copy I own! I have the SDCC release of the director’s cut. This is the same disc as the standard director’s cut release but with new artwork. At comic con you could get it with a matching print.

I still have my old Robocop Trilogy dvd set. I think I had held onto this because it had a few special features and the early Robocop blu ray releases had nothing until the director’s cut blu ray release. Then I just kept it to have the other two movies in a neat package. I had the original barebones Robocop 2 blu ray but never bothered with 3 since it’s my least favorite movie and the blu ray release was nothing special

A few years ago they did release these collector’s edition blu rays that included some nice bonus features.

Now I’m just waiting for that Robocop documentary that’s been in production for like 4 years now.

They apparently got so much material that they split it up i to a longer documentary for the first movie and then shorter docs for the two sequels. They got so many people from the production but Petter Weller had refused but then they released this trailer a month ago!
Post 18 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
5$ shipped for all 4

Post 19 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite That Arrow release is dope! I might have to pick that up.

And I’ll definitely keep an eye out for the documentary.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@00slim Just remember, the standard Arrow release is just the first disc. If you want the second disc you’ll have to get the steelbook or the limited edition

Also:
Post 21 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Definitely wanna have the TV edit as a bonus.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Question is, should I wait for a 4k upgrade?
Post 23 IP   flag post
I’d get it in the meantime. Unfortunately Robocop’s track record on home video isn’t the greatest. Despite being an awesome movie it is very much a cult favorite and MGM doesn’t seem to put a high priority on releasing a quality product.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Ordered the steelbook. Appreciate the heads up.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I’m watching the tv edit now. I’ve picked up on a few things so far. Like apparently “scumbag” is not okay for tv but “crumbag” is. Not surprisingly the boardroom scene is shown a little differently.
Post 26 IP   flag post
lol, it’s hard to believe a version of Robocop exists with hardly any blood squibs but there it is! The movie certainly lacks the visceral bite of the other cuts but the movie’s strong enough to stand up and it’s nice to have a version you can watch with young kids or squeamish significant others.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
One of my all time favorites!

Post 28 IP   flag post
@RareComics Nice! I REALLY liked the 3D conversions Disney was doing a decade ago, Little Mermaid among them. I was a bit disappointed that more didn’t get the treatment

Post 29 IP   flag post
The only Prime Day deal I was eager about, the “Twilight Zone” complete series box set on blu-ray, sold out before I could grab it. Kinda bummed.

But to be honest, I’d prefer a better rerelease. The current one has horrible packaging.

It would be awesome if they’d do a retrospective release. Include the original series, the 80’s series, the movie, the extremely uneven 2000’s rendition with Forest Whitaker & the Jordan Peele series. There were 2 or 3 solid episodes of that one I’d watch again.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 304 30