Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

Verified Steve Ditko Signatures: Are There ANY14740

Collector DangerTrail private msg quote post Address this user
I was just wondering if anyone owns or is aware of any comic with a verified Steve Ditko autograph. Asking for a friend.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen several ditko verified signed comics. Seen more letters that Steve sent to fans explaining he doesn't sign books. There was a board member, if I remember right, claimed he was Steve's nephew and had several copies signed by him.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s a link to a board member caught selling forgeries.
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/8256/page/1/ditko-signed-comic-for-sale/#1
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
They are out there. I'd say they're rare though. @Batman66 is correct about a fellow boardie who said he was related to Ditko.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity

Forgeries? are you sure?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen one verified I believe and it was one of those Ditko independent books. I can't remember where I saw it.

I have had "Ditko signed" on my Ebay search list for 20 years and have never seen anything remotely legit. 20 freaking years...lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Not a comic but there is a Beckett-Verified letter from Ditko on ebay. The serial number is 11230571 which checks out on the Beckett site
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Forgeries? are you sure?

LINK

EDITED: Better link
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Forgeries? are you sure?

LINK

EDITED: Better link

Thanks!! I remember now!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector comixfan59 private msg quote post Address this user
Actually a good friend of mine who does Facebook live sales and Auctions from his comic store just sold a Doctor Strange #179 9.2 slabbed with a verified Ditko signature for $10,000.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixfan59
Actually a good friend of mine who does Facebook live sales and Auctions from his comic store just sold a Doctor Strange #179 9.2 slabbed with a verified Ditko signature for $10,000.

Congrats to your friend, and good luck to the buyer (unless your friend obtained the sig himself).
And that's the only way I'd participate in the verification program anymore. If I have a signed raw book purchased after the fact, I won't submit it, and I won't buy verified sigs, especially if they're priced comparably to a witnessed sig. There simply is no way for me to be 100% sure unless I witness the signing myself.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s my verified Ditko contribution

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
Here’s my verified Ditko contribution

Yup yup... this is the one I saw once before. Nice!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats to your friend, and good luck to the buyer (unless your friend obtained the sig himself).
And that's the only way I'd participate in the verification program anymore. If I have a signed raw book purchased after the fact, I won't submit it, and I won't buy verified sigs, especially if they're priced comparably to a witnessed sig. There simply is no way for me to be 100% sure unless I witness the signing myself.

Also, I know someone who had a client wanting a stack of books put through the verification process. When the CBCS rep (won't mention his name- not yet, anyway) recognized the clients name, he said he also knew him and offered to change the submission to witnessed. Hmmm
My friend was taken aback by this, and replied his client is content with verified.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector comixfan59 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, I know someone who had a client wanting a stack of books put through the verification process. When the CBCS rep (won't mention his name- not yet, anyway) recognized the clients name, he said he also knew him and offered to change the submission to witnessed. Hmmm
My friend was taken aback by this, and replied his client is content with verified.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually a good friend of mine who does Facebook live sales
and Auctions from his comic store just sold a Doctor Strange #179 9.2 slabbed with a verified Ditko signature for $10,000.

I am sorry, you have your doubts. Regardless of what you may have heard or believe, there are authentic signatures like the ones of which I am talking about. I cannot say about the examples of which you speak, but i know beyond the shadow of a doubt the ones I have witnessed were all authentic as the individuals who received them for themselves and work within the industry and not the hobby and have no reason or ability to lie about anything. Here is the before verification and slabbing confirmation photo that was taken. It's authentic. A particular individual in the publishing business received it from Steve himself.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I never said I don't believe there are real Ditko sigs out there. Of course there are.
But which ones? Certainly not the ones 'Aliens' admitted forging, so with some of them perhaps floating around still, and the fact they were verified in the first place, I question verified sigs in general, not specifically your example alone.
I also wonder how many other unwitnessed sigs got a free pass to 'witnessed' because the person submitting the books agreed to such an offer, assuming my friend was not the only person to ever get it. Don't know.
I'm sure the same thing is possible at CGC, FTR.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Isnt the first time I had heard rumors of "witnessed" status being offered for signatures that were not at the guys across the street...but as yet i havent seen actual factual record of it ...but who knows, usually where there is smoke, you find fire
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I also wonder how many other unwitnessed sigs got a free pass to 'witnessed' because the person submitting the books agreed to such an offer, assuming my friend was not the only person to ever get it. Don't know.
I'm sure the same thing is possible at CGC, FTR.

I know there have been qualified Stan Lee signatures cracked out and included with "witnessed" books so they would come back with yellow labels. I'm sure if the same person had other signings, then it happened with other artists. Yellow label "witnessed" signings with no signature fee. Neat trick.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Clearly there is only one way to know for sure. I realize not every collector is able to go to cons, so for them these programs are as close as they can get.
I'm not suggesting everyone or anyone should feel the same way- But with money driving all kinds of people to try dishonest methods to get it, it's definitely something everyone buying 2nd hand sigs should be aware of for consideration.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
For a guy who doesn't sign books...looks like he signed some books....
Post 21 IP   flag post
In the very very early Ditko days, and in speaking with insiders in the industry, I don't think he was as opposed to signing books as later. I'm talking really early days.

But later on, from what I understand, not a chance. So I get quite leary when I see something signed on a comic manufactured after the early - mid 70's.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598063 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?