Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors Sets

X-men Annual #1414464

Collector Gustafson26 private msg quote post Address this user
I know, I know...you were expecting a, "is this Gambits 1st appearance?" thread but its not. My question is is the name for these types of books square bound? And are they pressable? (Assuming the answer to this is yes). I want to include this book along with my JLA vs. Avengers 1-4 with my order but i need to know if pressing is an issue or harder to do for these?

And while we are at it, are foil covers an issue to press too?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. Yes. Yes. No.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Appreciate the timely answer and its simplicity haha.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Ditto to Dr. Watson’s reply. Go forward with pressing. You won’t regret it, it provides peace of mind that you’ve achieved the maximum grade you can. Good luck!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
DrWatson's answer is accurate enough, but I'll add detail.

Not all square bound books are the same. The old school square bounds were still stapled together. The interior pages were trimmed and stapled. The cover only was then attached with glue.

Later square bound books have no staples. The entire edge of the book - about 1/4 inch - is glued together. These books can still be pressed but they do not press as well for defects at the spine. Think plywood. Lots of thin layers glued together.

Foil cover books can be pressed. But they do not do as well as "normal" books. Foil doesn't like much in the way of heat and humidity, so it's essentially a "light" press.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@IronMan I understand the spine ticks, but does the crease from top to bottom matter with grading? I don't see that being removed with a press.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Well, without pictures it's hard to answer 100%. But the glued spine books ("Perfect Binding" ) a line along the edge is there when it leaves the printer. If the book is never opened, what you speak of is there.

Grading is subjective and if it looks like there is wear from the book being handled (opened, read) it will affect the grade. But the line is always there. No copies of Batman:The killing joke for instance exist without such a line.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
The proper name for these square bound books are produced is Prestige format.
Post 8 IP   flag post
597866 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?