Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeFor SaleGrading Help NeededQuestions

Revisiting RAW Grading14371

Collector ReCollecting private msg quote post Address this user
I hope everyone is enjoying this bubble of sky-high prices. It's hard to believe what some issues (including modern) are selling for. This changes things and I am now open to selling some Silver Age issues (CapA #100, Aven #104, ASM #41, etc). The CBCS RAW grading has always piqued my curiosity. One of the advantages is that it could appease to both raw and slab collectors.

I read the last forum: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/12118/page/1/rawgrade/#19 and thank you EbayMafia for posting the photos.

Here are my questions:
(1) What's the time savings (if any) in turn-around time?
(2) Do the bagged/boarded comics fit in top loaders?
(3) Can someone please post a photo of the tamper evident sticker? I'm assuming this is on the back.

Many thanks

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
1) The CBCS page on Raw Grading mentions that it’s a fast service but there is no mention specific turnaround times for RAW Grading.

2) The bags are Mylar bags in standard sizes so most if not all should fit in an appropriately-sized top loader

3)
Post 2 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there any benefit to this???🤔
Post 3 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
Is there any benefit to this???🤔

There may be people who don't want to shell out the expense of getting a comic slabbed.

Also, given the crazy high prices comics are going for, the seller may not feel they will get the same return (especially if they already paid a high price for the book to begin with, so there won't be much profit)

Maybe the comic does not have a high value after slabbing expenses?

The seller may not "believe" in the concept of slabbing.

The seller may be an LCS dealer who knows his customers are finicky about grade, but don't want to shell out the bucks for a slab?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The primary benefits are that Raw Grading is cheaper and it can grade larger books and magazines that CBCS does not currently offer slabs for, and possibly faster turnaround time, though I can’t confirm the last one.

A modern book costs $10 for Raw Grading as opposed to $18.

The books do receive conservation and restoration checks and if any is found the book is noted as having being altered. I do not believe you get grader’s notes with this option so if you would like the details of the restoration/conservation then you would have to go with the full grading option.

Raw grade is not meant for long-term storage and preservation so CBCS only guarantees the grade at the time of grading so if you want to upgrade to a full slab the book will have to be regraded.

Raw grade also does not normally support any signature options
Post 5 IP   flag post
@MurrayC well said! I just might have to look into this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
@ReCollecting my last batch of raw graded took about 6 weeks.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Thank you so much! I didn't know much about it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Last week when I was at my local shop, I brought up the topic. Not a single person there knew about this service. I brought it up on the store computer and everyone was amazed. A few said they would never use, but the majority felt it was a great way to go.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not a bad move if you're undecided on slabbing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderns especially have gotten out of control. If you didn't buy it right of of the rack when it dropped , chances are its gone up in the short time since.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I have picked up a few comics that were CBCS Raw grade. Makes it much more trustworthy and less likely that i have to deal with enhanced photos covering defects.

Another aspect is that while I am a huge proponent of encasement for my permanent collection, if I am trying to fill holes, i kinda want to read the comics and see the internal artwork before I send to CBCS for grading and encasement, so being able to pick up a raw grade makes it that much easier for me to know I am getting an accurate grade and enjoy the story.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Scifinator applause!!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@ReCollecting Raw Grade is a great option for many comic books. But for Avengers 4? No way. Use raw grading for silver age books worth less than $200. Anything more than that should be slabbed.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Raw Grade has an FMV limit of $400. It is unlikely any Avengers 4 in a decent grade would be valued below that
Post 15 IP   flag post
I so agree. Some of the 2-page Steranko spreads are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
I have picked up a few comics that were CBCS Raw grade. Makes it much more trustworthy and less likely that i have to deal with enhanced photos covering defects.

Another aspect is that while I am a huge proponent of encasement for my permanent collection, if I am trying to fill holes, i kinda want to read the comics and see the internal artwork before I send to CBCS for grading and encasement, so being able to pick up a raw grade makes it that much easier for me to know I am getting an accurate grade and enjoy the story.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone had a raw grade book slabbed?
If so how close was the slabbed grade to the raw grade?
Post 17 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
8.5 cbcs = a 8.0 cgc on a tmnt book
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
Has anyone had a raw grade book slabbed?
If so how close was the slabbed grade to the raw grade?

The grading standards CBCS uses for Raw Grading are the same as with regular grading.

The major difference is that Raw Grade books are just in a mylar bag which doesn’t offer the same level of protection so a raw book’s condition and thus its grade is more likely to change if handled improperly.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
This is an excellent service.
Post 20 IP   flag post
One of the best advantages of RAW grading is that it provides a third option. The biggest question when purchasing a comic virtually is grading. You won't know the condition of the issue until it's in your hands whether RAW or slabbed.

Yes, slabbed offers a higher level of physical protection, but not grading. And I've seen my fair share of damaged comic books inside slabs. In addition, there is a group of collectors who also include the condition of the slab (does it have scratches, etc) as part of their rating criteria.

Which ever way you go, it will all work out.
Post 21 IP   flag post
601490 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?