Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
I've just submitted a few books to be graded 'raw'(no slab)..Have any of you done this? If yes, do they sell as well as slabbed books? I have a lot of books and can't afford to grade them all. I don't know how some people do it. thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
If you are asking about how to afford it all, you grade a couple, sell them, use the proceeds to pay for grading the next batch, rinse and repeat . . .
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@tonyz58 It’s difficult to find concrete evidence just because there are so few raw grade books on the market compared to regular slabs but I would be surprised if they sold near the same price as a regular slab. Particularly older books.

One thing to remember with the Raw Grade service is that it is not identical to a regular graded book save for the case. Raw grade books do not include restoration checks, particularly important on older books. Additionally, the service is reserved to lower-value books. I want to say it was $400 but can’t be sure off the top of my head.
Post 3 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
They definitely do not sell as well and for as much as the slabbed books. I tried it just to see and I think you would be better off just paying the extra $$$ and get them slabbed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps I can lend some insight, I have an LCS and in my personal experience I do find the raw books to sell. Granted I only do the raw grade to save on costs associated with grading and slabbing. No two situations are like so I can't give you a call as to go ahead and go that route, but it works for me and the population that I serve.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@starlord what’s your location? What is your customer base like? Just curious. Also while I am at it haha. How big is your back issues section? For that I am very interested.....
Post 6 IP   flag post
i'm an old collector...put Thor out 4 auction at Heritage 5 yrs ago...just looking to unload
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jersey
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315
@starlord what’s your location? What is your customer base like? Just curious. Also while I am at it haha. How big is your back issues section? For that I am very interested.....

I'm located in El Paso TX and my base Ranges from 12 years old to 65. I know that's a bit vague but I'd venture to say majority of my customers are young adults. As far as my back catalog of books goes I have about 5000 books currently. My business partner on the other hand has close to 1 million. So it's quite extensive, but here's the rub… We operate on an as we find it case. To be more elaborate between the two of us have a ton of books, my partner has the most obviously. Both of us have extensive health issues. Me personally I'm a quadriplegic like Christopher Reeve, meaning I have no hand or leg function so I rely my assistant to go through my books as well as care for me physically. So we go through long boxes and pick out all the keys, Golden age and silver ages and send them out for grading as we find them. So cataloging all is quite the task for two people and so I just have a website where I post cool and special books for sale. It is updated constantly but it's not having everything we do have. So we mostly rely on foot traffic and social media to advertise. I just sold a ton of my raw grade books and am waiting for my next batch of 50 to come back to update the website.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I suppose I didn't at this little part a majority of my clients enjoy getting graded books that are affordable. I don't make as much because they are not encapsulated, but my books sell quite quickly because I don't pass on the cost of encapsulating. My clients like knowing that getting a book that should be graded appropriately is charged appropriately with the idea that they could still read them.

Oh I should also add that money collection is constantly rotating as I am always buying up personal collections, estate sales, auctioneers and businesses liquidate their assets.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@starlord, can you post a link to your website?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz58
Have any of you done this? If yes, do they sell as well as slabbed books? I have a lot of books and can't afford to grade them all.

@tonyz58 I've done 3 Raw Grade submissions totaling about 60 books. No, in most cases they don't fetch the full market price for slabbed but there is a sweet spot that makes it a useful liquidity tool. I have found that sweet spot to specifically be Pre-1975 books with FMV of $50-$120. You save $10 on the grading but also the book can ship for about $10 less than a slabbed book. So an $80 book that would cost the buyer $95 shipped can now sell for $70 plus $6 shipping, so total of $76. I still make the same amount of money (actually a little more when you consider the lower Ebay and Paypal fees), and the buyer gets a discount of more than 20% off the slabbed price. This makes the books fairly easy to sell quickly. In these lower dollar books it works out and the lower cost allows me to Raw Grade books that I normally would not have had slabbed, books that would have just sat in my boxes for years. Also, once in a while I get a nice surprise on the grade outcome and can sell the Raw Grade book for quite a bit more than I would have asked for if it had not been professionally graded. I Don't use it for modern (after 1975) books, the price difference just isn't worth it. Now that MCS is my main selling platform rather than Ebay (need to change my forum name, lol) I don't use Raw Grade as much because MCS will not sell them without opening them and doing their own grading. Now I do Raw Grade mostly for books that I plan to keep but would like to have the option to sell quickly in the future. I'm kind of a "Prepper" in that way, I know that in a financial emergency time is not on your side and you need to use to good times to be prepared to act swiftly in the bad times. So having a bunch of slabbed or Raw Grade books ready to go gives me security that if need be I could sell them off quickly without going through a month or more of grading process. Raw grade allows me to do this without tying up as much money in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@starlord, can you post a link to your website?

Yes, please give us a link!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
EbaySeller sums up CBCS's Raw grade service very well.

It really isn't worth it for modern books (published 1975 or later) because the price difference between raw grade and full slabbed isn't that great

It can be worthwhile on relatively inexpensive books published before 1975. EbaySeller's price range is as good as any. But certainly once a book is worth a couple of hundred bucks the full grading and encapsulation service is probably a better choice.

I would also add that the only way to get CBCS grading on magazines is the raw grade service - and it's a good deal cheaper than CGC's magazine grading. And Raw Grade through CBCS is the ONLY way to get professional, 3rd party grading on Treasury size comics. Given the price of a acid free board and Mylar bag for Treasury sized books, the service is really a bargain.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I've posted these before, but here's some examples of books that I think hit the Raw Grade "sweet spot" because I would not have spent the money to slab them but I did need to get them professionally graded:

Very hard to get decent value for any of these selling online without a 3rd party grade.
Post 14 IP   flag post
MY THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS............STAY SAFE

TONY Z
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
They were out of supplies to raw grade at one point and I'm thinking of sending some magazine sized comics in for the raw grade service. Anyone know if this is available at this time?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders - Several months ago (BC), they ran out of Treasury-sized bags and/or boards when I had submitted a batch of treasuries for raw grade. They got their supplies, and my order was eventually completed, but the TAT was lousy thanks them having to wait several weeks (over a month) for the bags/boards.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo thanks!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315

I'm located in El Paso TX and my base Ranges from 12 years old to 65. I know that's a bit vague but I'd venture to say majority of my customers are young adults. As far as my back catalog of books goes I have about 5000 books currently. My business partner on the other hand has close to 1 million. So it's quite extensive, but here's the rub… We operate on an as we find it case. To be more elaborate between the two of us have a ton of books, my partner has the most obviously. Both of us have extensive health issues. Me personally I'm a quadriplegic like Christopher Reeve, meaning I have no hand or leg function so I rely my assistant to go through my books as well as care for me physically. So we go through long boxes and pick out all the keys, Golden age and silver ages and send them out for grading as we find them. So cataloging all is quite the task for two people and so I just have a website where I post cool and special books for sale. It is updated constantly but it's not having everything we do have. So we mostly rely on foot traffic and social media to advertise. I just sold a ton of my raw grade books and am waiting for my next batch of 50 to come back to update the website.

I am sorry to read about your condition, and your business partner's as well... I had no idea. I really like the way you both are approaching your sales,.. as opposed to digging and digging and digging. It must really be a BLAST of an adventure.

If I wasn't saving for my semi-classic dream car, I would most certainly be hounding both of you to dig out any PCH books you can find. LOL

More power to ya, Buddy!
Post 19 IP   flag post
601300 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?