Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics ForeignComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Help with Grade and price please14313

Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
looks like DR STRANGE #169 was published 6/68. this one came out 7 months later. still not a reprint? or is it a 1st Spanish edition?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixcited
looks like DR STRANGE #169 was published 6/68. this one came out 7 months later. still not a reprint? or is it a 1st Spanish edition?

This is a piece I wrote for another forum a couple years ago. If you want the short version, read the last two paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
There is a common error that a lot of American comic book collectors do, they call an American comic that has been translated and printed in another country a "reprint". The cause of this error is unknown to me. The only thing I can think of is that people are not properly educated on literary terms. So, to correct this, let's look at the origins and definitions of the two words.

Edition definition - noun

1) One of a series of printings of the same book, newspaper, etc., each issued
at a different time and differing from another by alterations, additions,
etc.
2) The format in which a literary work is published:
i.e. - a one-volume edition of Shakespeare.
3) The whole number of impressions or copies of a book, newspaper, etc.,
printed from one set of type at one time.
4) A version of anything, printed or not, presented to the public:
i.e. - the newest edition of a popular musical revue.
The word originated between 1545 AD and 1555 AD. It is French in origin.

Reprint - verb (used with object)

1) To print again; print a new impression of.

Reprint - noun

1) A reproduction in print of matter already printed.
2) An offprint.
3) A new impression, without alteration, of a book or other printed work.
4) Philately. an impression from the original plate after the issuance of a
stamp has ceased and its use for postage has been voided.
The word originated between 1545 AD and 1555 AD. It is French in origin.

Dictionary.com was used for the definition and origin dates of both words.

Both of these terms originated at the same time and are used as literary terms.

Now, in Biblio.com, they have a glossary of literary terms. They do not have "edition" in there, but they do have "first edition". In hopes of making matters clearer, here is the pertinent part of that definition. "In collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in cases where it has been published in multiple forms, including foreign releases or editions with substantially changed content such as an illustrated or a limited edition." And for "reprint" they basically say the noun explanation #1 posted above.

What does all this mean? It means that when an existing comic is printed and published by a company in another country, it is properly referred to as an edition. That is ALL it takes!! In most instances, there are other changes - translation, physical size, black and white interior as opposed to color, using panels for cover art or even original art for the cover, just to mention a few. It is nowhere near being a simple reprint of a comic.

Why does this matter?? Quite honestly, it matters because using the wrong terminology points to ignorance, arrogance or both. American collectors seem to be the ones who are most apt to use "reprints". When you do that, you are misusing the word and showing disregard for fellow collectors all over the globe. In short, you are insulting them. If you are the least bit interested in international comic book editions, learn to use the proper terms.
Post 27 IP   flag post
cool. so 1st Spanish edition seems right? I have been collecting some foreign editions and this has been hard to get straight. so my Alan Class comix are not reprints then? they are in English and came out a year or 2 after the US editions. the same comix were published in the UK previously (as regular pence) but the Alan Class have covers colored differently and the interiors are black and white. what to call those?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
U.K editions Alan’s class books are highly collectible in this market. As I know a collector who’s paid and searched high and low for them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixcited

NOPE not a reprint read Jesses description
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oteemorse
U.K editions Alan’s class books are highly collectible in this market. As I know a collector who’s paid and searched high and low for them.

they sure are!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-5-CGC-4-0-KEY-1ST-APP-DOCTOR-DOOM-CREEPY-WORLDS-36-UK-1964-/333880830371?hash=item4dbcd929a3%3Ag%3AFeMAAOSw7yxf0BOc&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 31 IP   flag post
Yup you’ve got GOLD in dem dar Hills !!
Post 32 IP   flag post
596799 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?