Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics ForeignComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Help with Grade and price please14313

Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
I’m thinking this is at best a 7.5 what’s a fair price ( also it’s a pence version ) thanks

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
7.0 seems the right range. $400-$500
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
I was thinking 7.0 not sure what its going for though ?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yup at best 7.5 ok seller wants way more then that telling me it’s a 8.0-9.0
Thanks for the feedback
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree about it being around a 7.5 Here's recent sales of 7.5 from GoCollect:

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Looks to be a solid 7.5. That color rub on the front cover and the soiling on the back cover keep it out of the 8.0 range. Worth a clean and press for sure. Congrats very respectable.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Comics_Maestro private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious ... what are you all seeing that you think it’s a 7.0? I honestly don’t see any flaws.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Comics_Maestro private msg quote post Address this user
@Doc_Cop,
Thanks for the explanation. I noticed the soiling on the back cover earlier but don’t see the color rub. Still, beautiful copy with tremendous eye appeal.
Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixcited
7.0 seems the right range. $400-$500

$400-500 for a foreign comic book?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
In a just world, pence copies are on par with cents copies
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

So do most foreign comic books have the same value as American comic books?
Post 12 IP   flag post
It isn't foreign. It's just a price variant intended for distribution in the UK. It has the same indicia and ads on the inside as the cents copy. Marvel just swapped some plates to print the pence price. It's similar to the Canadian price variants that Marvel sent north from 1983 to 1986. Then they realized they could print all prices on the cover at once. Historically, only high grade pence copies of keys fetch a premium. It generally tends to be 15%-30% less than cents copies but the attitude towards the pence copies may be changing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
It isn't foreign. It's just a price variant intended for distribution in the UK. It has the same indicia and ads on the inside as the cents copy. Marvel just swapped some plates to print the pence price. It's similar to the Canadian price variants that Marvel sent north from 1983 to 1986. Then they realized they could print all prices on the cover at once. Historically, only high grade pence copies of keys fetch a premium. It generally tends to be 15%-30% less than cents copies but the attitude towards the pence copies may be changing.

I have a TWO-GUN KID #72 with a price of 9p. I'm having it pressed for grading. I give it 7.0.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Rafel very cool! Please show the glamor shots when you get it back
Post 15 IP   flag post
pence editions have been catching up to cents editions. I believe they will be worth MORE in the future due to rarity just like Newsstands or Canadian editions. just my 9d
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There is definitely a misunderstanding about pence copies. When I got back into collecting many years ago I honestly believe pence copies were reprints of the American books. It was @Studley_Dudley that educated me that they're the same. Pence copies deserve to be on par with the cents books.....an argument can be made that they should actually command a premium above the cents copy.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I’m looking for a pence copy I’m a huge foreign collector and have paid well over FMV on some of these rare scare books.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oteemorse
I’m looking for a pence copy I’m a huge foreign collector and have paid well over FMV on some of these rare scare books.

I have (2) Spanish comic books would you know what they're worth?

Post 19 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

think you got the exchange rate wrong there!!

I think pence should be at least 1.5 to 2X the cents value!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:

these are neat! I think they are reprints though right? with the different publisher and different coloring I think they won't demand the same price as an original U.S., or U.K. edition but they are probably worth at least something (25-50% of original?). these also have room to grow.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

these are neat! I think they are reprints though right? with the different publisher and different coloring I think they won't demand the same price as an original U.S., or U.K. edition but they are probably worth at least something (25-50% of original?). these also have room to grow.

I don't think they're reprints. The dates are 1968 and 1967.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't think they're reprints. The dates are 1968 and 1967.

Reprint is probably not the right word since the covers and language are new. But from what I've seen these foreign language copies are typically printed after the original US/UK printing. Not sure if this is always the case though.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
As per Overstreet grading guide (my bible) , if there is a 1/4 inch crease with color break as your book has, best grade is a 7.5. add in the color rub by the top left staple and you're in a 7.0 range best case scenario. Of course with that said, CGC and CBCS have other grading guidelines. Nuff said.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Those aren’t reprints. They are foreign editions published by La Prensa. The La prensa books were published around the same time as American books. I’ve been dealing foreign books for the last four years. It’s amazing what took so long for collectors and dealers to jump on this train. Yes Pence and the Cents versions are just price variants. I’m looking for that GR in pence as I have the whole world set of that book. But to pay $700 for that when it’s not graded is, well in my humble opinion overpriced. If it was graded yes but not sure that’s a 8.0-9.0. And sorry to get off topic your comics are not key books just like the US counterparts. Depending on collectibility right although those are pretty Scarce as La Prensa are. Sorry that’s a Dr Strange #1 hang onto it. I’m sure it will bring in a pretty penny I’ll ask a fellow collector what his price on that would be as I don’t collect Dr Strange
Post 25 IP   flag post
looks like DR STRANGE #169 was published 6/68. this one came out 7 months later. still not a reprint? or is it a 1st Spanish edition?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
looks like DR STRANGE #169 was published 6/68. this one came out 7 months later. still not a reprint? or is it a 1st Spanish edition?

This is a piece I wrote for another forum a couple years ago. If you want the short version, read the last two paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
There is a common error that a lot of American comic book collectors do, they call an American comic that has been translated and printed in another country a "reprint". The cause of this error is unknown to me. The only thing I can think of is that people are not properly educated on literary terms. So, to correct this, let's look at the origins and definitions of the two words.

Edition definition - noun

1) One of a series of printings of the same book, newspaper, etc., each issued
at a different time and differing from another by alterations, additions,
etc.
2) The format in which a literary work is published:
i.e. - a one-volume edition of Shakespeare.
3) The whole number of impressions or copies of a book, newspaper, etc.,
printed from one set of type at one time.
4) A version of anything, printed or not, presented to the public:
i.e. - the newest edition of a popular musical revue.
The word originated between 1545 AD and 1555 AD. It is French in origin.

Reprint - verb (used with object)

1) To print again; print a new impression of.

Reprint - noun

1) A reproduction in print of matter already printed.
2) An offprint.
3) A new impression, without alteration, of a book or other printed work.
4) Philately. an impression from the original plate after the issuance of a
stamp has ceased and its use for postage has been voided.
The word originated between 1545 AD and 1555 AD. It is French in origin.

Dictionary.com was used for the definition and origin dates of both words.

Both of these terms originated at the same time and are used as literary terms.

Now, in Biblio.com, they have a glossary of literary terms. They do not have "edition" in there, but they do have "first edition". In hopes of making matters clearer, here is the pertinent part of that definition. "In collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in cases where it has been published in multiple forms, including foreign releases or editions with substantially changed content such as an illustrated or a limited edition." And for "reprint" they basically say the noun explanation #1 posted above.

What does all this mean? It means that when an existing comic is printed and published by a company in another country, it is properly referred to as an edition. That is ALL it takes!! In most instances, there are other changes - translation, physical size, black and white interior as opposed to color, using panels for cover art or even original art for the cover, just to mention a few. It is nowhere near being a simple reprint of a comic.

Why does this matter?? Quite honestly, it matters because using the wrong terminology points to ignorance, arrogance or both. American collectors seem to be the ones who are most apt to use "reprints". When you do that, you are misusing the word and showing disregard for fellow collectors all over the globe. In short, you are insulting them. If you are the least bit interested in international comic book editions, learn to use the proper terms.
Post 27 IP   flag post
cool. so 1st Spanish edition seems right? I have been collecting some foreign editions and this has been hard to get straight. so my Alan Class comix are not reprints then? they are in English and came out a year or 2 after the US editions. the same comix were published in the UK previously (as regular pence) but the Alan Class have covers colored differently and the interiors are black and white. what to call those?
Post 28 IP   flag post
U.K editions Alan’s class books are highly collectible in this market. As I know a collector who’s paid and searched high and low for them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:

NOPE not a reprint read Jesses description
Post 30 IP   flag post
601280 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?