Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics ForeignComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

New To CBCS And I Have Questions13259

Collector brand_em private msg quote post Address this user
Hello.

I'm new to submissions and reside near Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Here are my questions.
1.what carrier will cbcs use? Hoping it's not FedEx.
2.let's say 2 comics are sent, one 1971 and one 1995, will they be graded and pressed at the same time and be returned at the same time?
3.is payment after the comics have been graded and pressed, where I send them first of course?
4.is there a grading location in Canada, or i just send to a dealer in Canada and they will send to CBCS TX?
5.is there grading for those large size treasury comics from the 1970s? if so, how much?
6.grading for UK comics from the 70s, Capt. Britain and Star Wars? cost?

Thank you.
mel
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
First off - welcome to the forum!!!

Second - there is a CBCS 101Newbies Guide posted to the top of the forum - in case you have more questions that aren't addressed here.

#4 - Grading is in Dallas - but they have a location in Ontario for Canadian submissions to gather and ship to and back from Dallas that is in CAD$$$ and gets rid of having to deal with customs or FedEx trying to charge you for your own books - does add 2 weeks to total turn around times though.

#1 - related to #4 - you can choose the carrier you want if submitting through CBCS Canada - FedEx or CANPAR - keep in mind though this is FedEx within Canada and not US FedEx trying to charge you clearance fees etc. for your own books!!

#2 - All books on an order will be kept together and shipped back together - be aware that your total turn around time will be the slowest book - i.e. I think pressing adds 13 weeks?

#3 - payment is after you send but before they are returned to you - close to when services are complete.

#5 - currently Treasury and Magazine size books can not be graded - sounds like maybe (big maybe) they will have a holder and that service in late 2021???

#6 - 95% sure UK books like Capt. Britain are ok (but not Mighty World of Marvel) - need to pull out the measuring tape!

"The maximum size is 7.625" x 10.5" and .24" thick."

Hope this helps!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
1. If it's coming direct from Texas, It's FedEx. I believe CanPar is an option if it's shipped from Oakville.
2. I've had Golden and Silver age go into grading and be returned at the same time so I suspect those would as well, just the price differs.
3. Your credit card will get billed when the books are received in Texas, prior to grading.
4. You can send to the new Oakville address and they will bulk ship to Texas, so no grading location in Canada. Then I believe they are bulk shipped back and returned direct from Canada.
5. I know CBCS doesn't do magazine size yet, but there are maximum dimensions available somewhere on the site.
6. No experience but I suspect the price only depends on era, not country of origin. We do have a chronic pence book collector on here.

As always, for sure read the newbie guide. There's a ton of info in there. And if anyone sees something incorrect in my answers, please correct me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@brand_em

ps - depending what Capt. Britain books you have you could just send them to me!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
1. If it's coming direct from Texas, It's FedEx. I believe CanPar is an option if it's shipped from Oakville.
2. I've had Golden and Silver age go into grading and be returned at the same time so I suspect those would as well, just the price differs.
3. Your credit card will get billed when the books are received in Texas, prior to grading.
4. You can send to the new Oakville address and they will bulk ship to Texas, so no grading location in Canada. Then I believe they are bulk shipped back and returned direct from Canada.
5. I know CBCS doesn't do magazine size yet, but there are maximum dimensions available somewhere on the site.
6. No experience but I suspect the price only depends on era, not country of origin. We do have a chronic pence book collector on here.

As always, for sure read the newbie guide. There's a ton of info in there. And if anyone sees something incorrect in my answers, please correct me.

Thank you. Those are helpful info.
BC to Ontario is like WA State to OH. I'll send myself : )
Now to go threw my pile.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
First off - welcome to the forum!!!

Second - there is a CBCS 101Newbies Guide posted to the top of the forum - in case you have more questions that aren't addressed here.

#4 - Grading is in Dallas - but they have a location in Ontario for Canadian submissions to gather and ship to and back from Dallas that is in CAD$$$ and gets rid of having to deal with customs or FedEx trying to charge you for your own books - does add 2 weeks to total turn around times though.

#1 - related to #4 - you can choose the carrier you want if submitting through CBCS Canada - FedEx or CANPAR - keep in mind though this is FedEx within Canada and not US FedEx trying to charge you clearance fees etc. for your own books!!

#2 - All books on an order will be kept together and shipped back together - be aware that your total turn around time will be the slowest book - i.e. I think pressing adds 13 weeks?

#3 - payment is after you send but before they are returned to you - close to when services are complete.

#5 - currently Treasury and Magazine size books can not be graded - sounds like maybe (big maybe) they will have a holder and that service in late 2021???

#6 - 95% sure UK books like Capt. Britain are ok (but not Mighty World of Marvel) - need to pull out the measuring tape!

"The maximum size is 7.625" x 10.5" and .24" thick."

Hope this helps!!

Thank you. Those are helpful info.
BC to Ontario is like WA State to OH. I'll send myself : )
Now to go threw my pile and take out me tape measure.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
@brand_em

ps - depending what Capt. Britain books you have you could just send them to me!!!

I have no. 1 in high grade with mask.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Also, be sure to check out the Newbie’s Guide as it answers a lot of questions for first-time submitters
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brand_em
Quote:
@brand_em

I'm pretty sure #1 is too large for CBCS...I have a #1 CGC 9.6 (with Mask) and it's a pretty large slab.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:
Quote:
@brand_em

I'm pretty sure #1 is too large for CBCS...I have a #1 CGC 9.6 (with Mask) and it's a pretty large slab.

Ok. But you still had it slabbed? or if it got slabbed?
What's the price these days of 9.6 in USD or CAD?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@brand_em

I bought it slabbed from ebay as I wanted to guarantee it was high grade and complete. I paid $795 Canadian for it earlier this year (It was bought on the back of flipping books, so probably cost about $150 in reality). I overpaid for it a bit, but it was a Canadian seller so once you factor in shipping and customs from a US Seller it was about even.

I grew up in England, so Captain Britain was a large part of my childhood and I do believe he'll enter the MCU at some point, so it seemed like a valid investment (not that I'd sell it).

Currently there's a few sitting at $720 buy it now on ebay, but realistically it's trending at about $500-$550 US. Price seems to have come down a bit since those stimulus checks stopped coming in....
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@brand_em

I bought it slabbed from ebay as I wanted to guarantee it was high grade and complete. I paid $795 Canadian for it earlier this year (It was bought on the back of flipping books, so probably cost about $150 in reality). I overpaid for it a bit, but it was a Canadian seller so once you factor in shipping and customs from a US Seller it was about even.

I grew up in England, so Captain Britain was a large part of my childhood and I do believe he'll enter the MCU at some point, so it seemed like a valid investment (not that I'd sell it).

Currently there's a few sitting at $720 buy it now on ebay, but realistically it's trending at about $500-$550 US. Price seems to have come down a bit since those stimulus checks stopped coming in....

Thank you for the info. wow. high prices.
I purchased mine when it came out in the 70s.
so the other company slabs them not CBCS?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Pedigree private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys, I'm also from BC. Should I ship my books to the Oakville office or should I just ship it myself to Dallas TX? Is the Oakville office even operating right now?

I don't want to send my books to the Oakville office and have it sitting there since the borders are closed. God knows when they will get to it so I don't want my books sitting there for months. Is it better that I send it myself to Dallas?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree
Hi guys, I'm also from BC. Should I ship my books to the Oakville office or should I just ship it myself to Dallas TX? Is the Oakville office even operating right now?

I don't want to send my books to the Oakville office and have it sitting there since the borders are closed. God knows when they will get to it so I don't want my books sitting there for months. Is it better that I send it myself to Dallas?

I'd ship to TX as they don't really grade in Oak.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

Oakville office is up and running again!!

Can't answer if it is cheaper to send to Oakville or Dallas from BC - has to be cheaper no? and you don't have to deal with FedEx US!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Oakville office is up and running again!!

Can't answer if it is cheaper to send to Oakville or Dallas from BC - has to be cheaper no? and you don't have to deal with FedEx US!!

but shipping BC to Ontario and back again?
Can't we specify like USPS instead of FedEx?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Pedigree private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics that's what I'm thinking. I don't mind the wait a little if the Oakville office is up and running, I just don't want my books to be in limbo there for months (or years) since the borders are closed.

It'll be definitely cheaper to send to Oakville than Dallas TX from BC as it's still in Canada.

Good to know that the Oakville office is operational. However aren't they having problems with their 1 EMPLOYEE having trouble crossing the border? Anyone been sending their books to the Oakville office recently? How long is it before you get your books back?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector ggovel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@brand_em

My copy of his first US appearance, purchased off the spinner rack when I was 10 years old, is at CBCS right now for press and grade ⬇️⬇️

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggovel
Quote:
@brand_em

My copy of his first US appearance, purchased off the spinner rack when I was 10 years old, is at CBCS right now for press and grade ⬇️⬇️

nice. i got UK with mask and all in high grade
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggovel
Quote:
@brand_em

UK edition #1... i didn't know CB is hot right now
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I just got an email from FedEx that they cancelled my invoice for brokerage fees!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
@KatKomics I just got an email from FedEx that they cancelled my invoice for brokerage fees!

fedex is brutal... i purchased art at $75 USD from the US... seller charged me $35 usd for shipping
and then fedex will charge me $25 CAD for shipping too.
Post 22 IP   flag post
596782 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?