Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch Covers

Submission Question12738

Collector ShadowFan private msg quote post Address this user
Long time lurker, first time poster here! I've enjoyed reading the forum and finally decided to take the plunge and register. For my first post, I had a question about a book I purchased and am planning to submit. I just wanted to get some feedback on how I should submit it.

I recently purchased a Dynamite book from MCS that has a sketch drawn on the cover by Brennan Wagner. The book also came with a COA from Dynamite attesting to it's authenticity. I fully trust MCS that it's legit (and frankly looks awesome). I'm just not sure how to submit it. Would CBCS honor the COA as a signature series? Is Brennan Wagner well known enough to have signatures on file to pass a VSP check? Or would I be better off just submitting it under the Art category submission. Thanks in advance for any help!

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Art. The COA doesn't carry any weight with CBCS or VSP.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I was thinking the Art label was the best way to go, just wasn't sure about VSP or not. I wasn't familiar with any of Brennan's work before this book.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@ShadowFan Be sure to check out the Newbie's Guide for details on the different options

One thing to make note of is is that CBCS only verifies SIGNATURES not sketches. A subtle but important distinction. If the signature is verified then the sketch will not count against the grade.

For this book you have a few options. You can submit it for a blue ART label. The book will not be graded nor will the book make any note of who signed it. Just that it is a sketch on the blank cover comic.

You can submit it for a blue label where the book will be graded but the signature/sketch will not be verified so they will count against the grade.

You can submit with the slab-only option. The book will not be graded but it includes signature verification for one signature. This would be the least expensive option.

You can submit for a a graded verified signature. This is the most expensive option since you need to pay for grading and a separate fee for signature verification.

One thing is that I am not particularly familiar with the artist who did the cover. If he is not a known artist then CBCS/Beckett might not be able to verify. You can check on this page though the list is not comprehensive. If he is not listed on that page maybe try contacting CBCS Customer Service and asking about this specific artist
Post 4 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Thanks for the info! I think I will contact Beckett and ask about the artist. I know he is the son of Matt Wagner, so maybe he's done some other work for his father's books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
ii would not mind knowing either. i got 3 of this kind also , all different. great art and i also love the shadow.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Signature verified and the sketch being noted on the label. As long as the artist is in their database with some examples, I would take a shot on it.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had artists that are relative unknowns (I found them on Instagram) verified, so It’s definitely worth a shot.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks for the responses! I think I will give it a shot at VSP and grading.
Post 9 IP   flag post
597868 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?