Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics MagazinesComics Silver AgeQuestions

In search the perfect Silver/Gold Long Box...?12203

Collector PaulyC private msg quote post Address this user
aka.. The search for The Paperex Man...?

I've been looking for storage in the dimensions of the long boxes I was getting from my LCS, but seemingly impossible to find now. BCW/Max/DrawerBoxes never seem to have designed them wide enough for Silver/Gold E. Gerber Mylars.

Nearly my entire collection is protected with E. Gerber Full-backs, Silver/Gold Mylite2s-4s, all 7 3/4 width.

The long boxes I currently use for them, and nearly perfect width are, 27 x 8 x 12 (inner dimensions) 27.25 x 8.5 x 12.25 (with lid outer dimensions).

They were made by someone called "The Paperex Man" who according to my LCS went out of business.. Great...

..I googled up and down to try to find out about this mysterious maker of the near perfect long boxes in conjunction with E.Gerber silver/golds... But alas, no sign of The Paperex Man.... Poof.

Their boxes were also very good/thick quality compared to the "big name boxes".. See Pics side by side with BCW long box..

I've contacted E. Gerber and they don't know of anyone who sources long boxes to fit their silver/golds specifically, which is quite puzzling as I'm surely not the only one finding long boxes that are slightlyyy too narrow, insanely annoying..

E. Gerber does have short boxes (made with their stringent full-back process, so worth their weight in gold..literally) that should fit their silver/golds, nicely, listed on their website fwiw.
(btw 8in interior width, same as Paperex Man boxes) Which I'll probably have to "settle" for...

This was discussed awhile ago on this forum..

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/3060/silver--golden-age-bags-too-wide-for-box/

With the consensus then, (and E. Gerber mentioned this solution to me as well) to use Mag Boxes.. but this is not a great solution, not very neat, (mismatching, some this way, some that way) and annoyingly... BCW mag boxes are also too narrow for E. Gerber Mag Mylar 2s/4s!!..

(see pic) so it's a sorta-fix-but-not-really if you're an E. Gerber Mylar user...

..I get it, "why should box makers adhere to the dimensions of a bag maker?"...or "I don't want my Moderns swimming around in a too-wide box"... but in my opinion one should have a "silver/gold long box", or "large" long boxes option, for silver/gold stuff... It's not a weight issue as the Paperex Man box is more than secure, when lifted, fully loaded.

If anyone has any insight on this box maker, or anyone making slightly wider than normal long boxes.. 8" interior width would be ideal, great to hear it!. thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
E Gerber makes the right size box for your needs, but it’s not a “long” box so a shorter box with The correct dimensions to fit silver/golden 2-4 mil Mylars Is not ideal?

I either do not comprehend the issue or you are a masochist who enjoys back injuries lugging around full long boxes.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer short boxes or even banker boxes.

Long boxes are just too heavy and bulky.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
to me, long boxes are purely for storage purposes....if you believe you'll be moving comics at any time go short boxes for sure.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yea I actually mentioned E Gerber's short box.. haa. thanks! Saying I might just have to "settle" jokingly. Great boxes I'm sure.. acid free too sounds like... Guess I'm going mix n' match..

not necessarily an issue..? Perhaps!...? ..that odd to want to keep my boxes consistent in size.? heh

I just like keeping my collection storage consistent. Call me crazy.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Short boxes all day long!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yea sounds like the E. Gerber shorts are gonna be the best option. thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector naftixe private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash Thanks. I just peed myself
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I bought corrugated plastic graded comic boxes....love them!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyC
Yea I actually mentioned E Gerber's short box.. haa. thanks! Saying I might just have to "settle" jokingly. Great boxes I'm sure.. acid free too sounds like... Guess I'm going mix n' match..

not necessarily an issue..? Perhaps!...? ..that odd to want to keep my boxes consistent in size.? heh

I just like keeping my collection storage consistent. Call me crazy.

Gaylord Archival may be an option. They provide A custom size service, but when I entered the exact dimensions you specified I got an error for exceeding the limit and said change dimensions or contact customer service. You could try calling. They may be able to build your boxes.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash I'll give them a call, thanks for searching.. that was sorta the problem I ran into as well.. max interior dimensions never adequate.. but it's completely understandable. Thanks again.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have been using graded boxes for my Silver/Gold size Mylites. Works pretty good.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597869 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?