Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Silver / Golden Age Bags too wide for Box?3060

Collector J_Walker private msg quote post Address this user
So, the width of BCW short boxes is 7 and 5/8 in. and the width of my egerber silver / golden age bags is 7 and 3/4 in. Initially, when my silver age collection was limited I would just get around this 1/8 in. difference by storing them the short way across the box instead of the normal way using the length of the box. My collection is still limited, but when I went to start a second row storing them side by side I just realized the short boxes weren't long enough for two rows.

When storing the comics lengthwise, the problem seems to come into play at the end of each box where the "give" of the box isn't as forgiving as the middle of the box. The larger bag / board combo seems to get pinched in a bit which appears to create a slight curve on the board, which can't be good for the comic.

Anybody else have this problem? I looked for boxes that were slightly wider, but can't find any. Might just go with a long box for these larger sized books which would at least give me enough room for two rows...

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I've started using short Magazine boxes for my bagged/boarded Golden Age books.

But I never understood why they would make the regular boxes just shy of accommodating the Golden Age size. I know not everyone can afford Golden Age books, but they don't even make a separate size for them. Guess that's the market.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
Yea I concur with QuaBrot on using short mag boxes. That's what I use for my silver age and golden
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I have this exact problem. And it isn't just silver age books; it's also 100 page / 64 page giants, that need the extra space (7 3/4).

A while back I was on a collectors conference call with the guy from E. Gerber. I brought up this issue and asked about the possibility of a 7 1/2 2 mil bag. He said it's no problem to set it up for a limited run, if I can get some people together, make a decent sized order; but that they wouldn't do them that size as a rule.

Anyway, before I tried anything, I got a few magazine boxes in that I'd already ordered. They work perfectly. A smidge taller than the regular boxes, but that's not too much trouble. And the special order bags probably wouldn't fit golden age anyway, so there'd still be a problem with those ones fitting in the normal boxes.

Anyway, if you want to try to special order 7 1/2 mylites 2 mil, and boards cut to match, I'd go in on the order with you. But the mag boxes are a good solution, too.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
I've started using short Magazine boxes for my bagged/boarded Golden Age books.

But I never understood why they would make the regular boxes just shy of accommodating the Golden Age size. I know not everyone can afford Golden Age books, but they don't even make a separate size for them. Guess that's the market.

Magazine boxes are easier to carry. They're easier to store in tight places than a long box. They're stronger and more durable than short boxes or long boxes. I decided long ago that I was only buying magazine boxes going forward.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Magazine boxes are easier to carry. They're easier to store in tight places than a long box. They're stronger and more durable than short boxes or long boxes. I decided long ago that I was only buying magazine boxes going forward.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Especially when it come to toploaders, magazine boxes are the way to go.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
You can get graded size boxes. This way if you get graded books, you can add them to your Golden Age books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Let me assure you that I'm not as stupid as I am.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, right now I have only 2 comic book slabs. I ordered a few more off of ebay this past weekend and CBCS will be sending me 11 upcoming. Since I'm slowly entering the Slab Zone, question is will these magazine boxes work for slabs? If not what is the best alternative option? Thx....
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Savage_Spawn Get a slab sized short box from BCW.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
@Savage_Spawn I use 2 liter soda boxes I get from the supermarket - fits slabs perfectly and built to hold a lot of weight. Only downside is they don't have a top. But you can't beat the price!
Post 12 IP   flag post
597875 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?