Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
We have never forbidden political talk, so far. I'd advise people to read the New message board atmosphere pinned thread as well as the terms of use.
Post 476 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My son has a comics/collectibles store. He is delivering the weekly pull list to customers that want to stay shut in.
Gotta feed that fix, plus it’s the right thing to do. Perhaps more folks will go back to reading. He has increased his EBay listings too, might as well, the store is pretty empty.
My daughter works for a company that provides internet content, she works from home and has never been busier.
Being a hermit by nature and always hating crowds, traffic, mass transit, big cities and the like, selfishly I hope some of this social distancing stays permanent. Never even liked shaking hands, or especially hugging, nothing worse. Prefer it didn’t take any deaths to get there, but some of this will hopefully be permanent because it is wise to distance, at least to me.
And I am getting things listed like wrestling cards I thought I would never get around to.
Hope all you guys can just hide out for the duration, impossible for some I know. And I have a brother who still thinks it’s a hoax, those kind of people exist, despite all the facts I throw at him. Makes hiding out all the more important
Post 477 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I just wish I could go see a dentist right now. 😬
Post 478 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
We have never forbidden political talk, so far. I'd advise people to read the New message board atmosphere pinned thread as well as the terms of use.

Thanks, Jesse. I've looked there too ... as you mention, politics isn't disallowed there, either.

I don't know why, for example, Dr.Chaos keeps complaining that "This is not the forum to discuss political issues." Well ... it can be, if some members want to discuss political issues. That's kind of how discussions work.

And if you don't want to discuss them, you are free to not read them.

If it's a matter of diverging too far from the thread topic, then another thread can easily be created. But in this instance, that was disallowed above.

Anyway, I'm not trying to revive the topic. I'm just trying to understand where poka or GAC are coming from, when they claim the rules forbid this stuff. If such were actually in the rules, that would make sense. But it's not (unless I missed it).

I'd particularly like to know why a separate thread, to continue this discussion, is not allowed, though, according to @SteveRicketts reply to that question up above. Is it a new forum thing, Steve? Or is it just today, due to the deluge of private messages and complaints you mentioned you have received?
Post 479 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

That is why I had planned to visit Costa Rica.
Post 480 IP   flag post

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Politics is not a taboo topic on this board. We allow it as long as it is a mutually civil exchange of ideas. Sometimes it is, others it is not. When it turns ugly the thread in question is deleted and the discussion ends. In this case, I believe the topic is one that can be discussed, sans-politics.

...So I'm asking everyone to chill with the political discussion on the topic. The virus doesn't care what political party any of us are affiliated with. If you want to talk about the politics of COVID-19, please do it elsewhere.
Post 481 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid From my take, political talk is allowed if it is pertinent to the topic being discussed. It is not a topic that we want threads dedicated to. Politics is one of those topics that is divisive by nature.

Edited
Post 482 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Where is @kaptainmyke when you need him?

Quote:

some could take it via private message instead of another thread getting locked...
Post 483 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Nice video on the virus

Post 484 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Nice video on the virus

Well done video, from the monkey with the toilet paper to putting in contact lenses after eating a jalapeno (which I've done myself and experienced tremendous pain in my eyeball). I thought once again about leaving the house today to drive around without getting out of the car since I haven't left the house in two weeks, but 'll be cancelling that plan. As someone with an autoimmune disease, if I get coronavirus I'll be in big trouble. Even if I don't die, at best the virus will cause my immune system to overreact, trigger my autoimmune disease which is currently in remission, and start damaging my kidneys again, most likely leading to kidney failure. I'll likely quarantine myself until there is an approved treatment and/or a vaccine. This is still hard for me to wrap my head around and I'm not sure if I'm paranoid or if these precautions are absolutely necessary for at least a few months or if I should start living a somewhat normal life in another few weeks. Maybe I'll pick up another hobby to keep myself busy, as comic books, movies, tv and some light exercise aren't having as positive of an effect on my mental state as I would hope for. Stay safe everyone and if anyone is in a position where they are so desperate where they won't be able to put food on the table or a roof over their head, I'll be willing to sell off some of my limited collection to help.
Post 485 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Keeping on topic and to show that it’s close to home, I live on Long Island in NY. My neighbor a few houses down has tested positive for the Coronavirus. He received word from the local and state health departments today. They are dropping off masks for him to wear at home around his wife and daughter.

He had been away for work and might have contracted it before the plane ride home. (I don’t know where he went)

Stay safe and be vigilant.
Post 486 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

As someone with an autoimmune disease, if I get coronavirus I'll be in big trouble. Even if I don't die, at best the virus will cause my immune system to overreact, trigger my autoimmune disease which is currently in remission, and start damaging my kidneys again, most likely leading to kidney failure. I'll likely quarantine myself until there is an approved treatment and/or a vaccine. This is still hard for me to wrap my head around and I'm not sure if I'm paranoid or if these precautions are absolutely necessary for at least a few months or if I should start living a somewhat normal life in another few weeks.

I’m in the same boat as you. 🤝
Post 487 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke stay safe and as others have said before it's better to overreact than to under-react.
Post 488 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Me too. Had to get a root canal and a temporary crown. Now I'm just waiting for the permanent crown to be put on. Not fun!
Post 489 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:

Me too. Had to get a root canal and a temporary crown. Now I'm just waiting for the permanent crown to be put on. Not fun!

I've had 2 roots done, and you're right it's not fun. That's why I opted for the gas both times. I'm a coward.
Post 490 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I've had 2 roots done, and you're right it's not fun. That's why I opted for the gas both times. I'm a coward.

I’ll make you feel better about that. Nitrous Oxide and Novocaine don’t work on me. Most anesthetics just make me hyper.
The pain of the dentist is way better than pre root canal tooth pain however, oddly enough good old aspirin works pretty well on me.
I truly hate the need for dentistry
Post 491 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I feel ripped off, they never offered me gas. They just jammed the needle in my jaw a couple of times to numb things up and did their thing.
Post 492 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I feel ripped off, they never offered me gas. They just jammed the needle in my jaw a couple of times to numb things up and did their thing.

I had to request it. And insurance doesn't cover it, or rather the policy I had 25 years ago didn't.
Post 493 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Root canals? Like regrets, I’ve had a few, I think 4. It’s the only procedure at the dentist where I take Novacaine - my dentist won’t perform a root canal without it. Why? When I was 18, my former dentist drilled out a cavity on the opposite side that he numbed up. I survived that, and I always hated that numb feeling to my mouth and tongue. So since then, every filling, post, crown, etc. - nothing. I honestly think that the razor wire they pack around your tooth to cut back the gums before a crown is installed is worst than the drilling.
Post 494 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
So how do they figure who gets the stimulus checks the gov is sending out and how do u get one?
Post 495 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
First report of one of our students on campus with coronavirus yesterday. They went to the gym on Monday. 5 more confirmed cases today for students. 3 came back from Spring Break and hadn't left yet (campus has gone online for remainder of semester) are now quarantined in the dorms. Report is that they were traveling over Spring Break with at least 10 additional students in their group. By the way...these are Gen z, not millennials.
Post 496 IP   flag post
There are schools still open?
Post 497 IP   flag post
Students are allowed to remain living on campus, but no events or in-person teaching. Food services is remaining open for the students. It didn't make sense to send them back home, potentially carrying to their families. Some students would be sent back home to areas like Seattle and Westchester, NY where the center of outbreak is for those respective states. So, students who "had" to come back are basically in isolation on campus.
Post 498 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Steverogers11

There is still debate on the issue. Max and minimum income thresholds are being debated. Discussion on extra social security benefits have also been discussed.

I "think" they are going to go by your tax return to see if you qualify.

As for how you get it, that is to be determined as well.

Since they are holding press conferences daily, I would imagine they will announce it then.
Post 499 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Steverogers11

There is still debate on the issue. Max and minimum income thresholds are being debated. Discussion on extra social security benefits have also been discussed.

I "think" they are going to go by your tax return to see if you qualify.

As for how you get it, that is to be determined as well.

Since they are holding press conferences daily, I would imagine they will announce it then.

Thank u sir
Post 500 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
What's up with Italy? is it just a very old demographic? Do the young people move out of Italy and raise their kids in other countries? The death rate there is like 8 times most of the world, twice that of China and the total numbers now are greater than in China.

It is a combination of multiple things.

1) Italians live long. They have many elderly people
2) they give cheek kisses all the time
3) many “kids” in the 20s and 30s live with their parents - and have passed the virus on to their parents
4) family ties are strong and family dinners across generations are not uncommon.
5) northern part of Italy has a large population of Chinese workers due to the fashion industry. There are a lot of visitors between northern Italy and China.

even though this happend in the US - it is a good illustration why especially Italy is severely impacted

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html
Post 501 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 502 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Over 44000 people were tested today. Per capita New York passed Washington in testing today.
Post 503 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
What's up with Italy? is it just a very old demographic? Do the young people move out of Italy and raise their kids in other countries? The death rate there is like 8 times most of the world, twice that of China and the total numbers now are greater than in China.

It is a combination of multiple things.

1) Italians live long. They have many elderly people
2) they give cheek kisses all the time
3) many “kids” in the 20s and 30s live with their parents - and have passed the virus on to their parents
4) family ties are strong and family dinners across generations are not uncommon.
5) northern part of Italy has a large population of Chinese workers due to the fashion industry. There are a lot of visitors between northern Italy and China.

even though this happend in the US - it is a good illustration why especially Italy is severely impacted

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html

I've been sharing this story to people who think churches should still be running like normal and that just refuse to social distance. Could you imagine having this linked back to you and you not taking the appropriate precautions?
Post 504 IP   flag post
I call that religious irony. Even Jehovah witnesses worldwide have stopped going out in service. That should tell us all something.
Post 505 IP   flag post
601344 679 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.