Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

New Message Board Atmosphere4399

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I want to personally thank everyone who contributes to the CBCS message board. Without all of you, these boards would not exist and we appreciate the members of our community.

The members of the CBCS Team appreciate feedback from our customers, including criticism. Our goal is to improve in some aspect every day. Without knowing what we’re doing right (and wrong) we would not be able to achieve this goal.

As many have noticed, the atmosphere on the CBCS boards has become less than inviting lately. We intend to change that and get the pendulum swinging in the other direction, starting now. We want the CBCS message board to be a place where like-minded collectors can come to share what they are passionate about. We realize that there must be a change from the top down in order to make this happen.

Effective immediately, we will be implementing the following community rules. These rules will be enforced by the moderators and their decision is final.

> Constructive criticism is welcome, but when it becomes demeaning, speculative, or toxic, conversation will be locked and ended. Members who start a new thread with the same topic, or carry the conversation onto other threads will be subject to disciplinary action.

>Do not post about (but not limited to) political subjects, political parties, or someone else's political leanings. No politics will be allowed here.

> Trolling will no longer be allowed here. This can be defined by members who want to argue with particular members, often bringing up the same arguments from post to post, day to day, thread to thread. Likewise, if the only time you ever post on the CBCS board is when you’re criticizing the same board member, you’re probably trolling. Likewise, Troll-Baiting will not be tolerated, which consists of making posts or creating topics that you know will create conflict. Troll-Baiting is harder to determine, but if a pattern is noticed, the offending member will be subject to disciplinary action.

> Members do not have to agree. I’d hate to think we live in a world where there is only one point of view, but there is a lot of distain on our message board that stems from people having different opinions, and one of those parties feeling offended because an argument ensues. We can disagree without it being a personal attack. We can debate without demeaning others. Just because someone disagrees with you that Superman can beat up the Hulk, doesn’t mean that member does not like you. Just don’t follow the other member around from thread to thread to continue an argument, because that would be Trolling.

> Do not question a forum moderator’s decision in public. This includes a user changing your avatar in retaliation for an action taken by a moderator.

> Lengthy replies (in and of themselves) are not against forum rules, nor are they a personal attack on anyone. If a member makes a lengthy post and you don’t like it, don’t read it. Don’t report it to a moderator (unless it contains content that violates our rules) and don’t complain about it in the thread. Just move on. Members who do could be perceived as Trolling, and thus could be subject to disciplinary action if moderation decides that is the case.

> Members cannot create secondary accounts for any reason. Members who do so will be subject to disciplinary action. Our board software is very good at finding these accounts, so do us both a favor and don’t try. This is a frivolous way to get a suspension.

> Covid-19 and coronavirus is not to be discussed.

>While CBCS welcomes constructive criticism, if the moderators notice a pattern and feel that your purpose in joining the CBCS message board is to promote, advertise, or endorse any competitors product or services, or to constantly troll other users in an attempt to cause conflict or disruption, or continually and consistently disparage CBCS, then your account will be deleted. No escalation of warnings or fanfare will be awarded. We welcome anyone who wants to add to the community here, but please don't be disruptive or obtuse.

> Other rules can be found here; https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/9/page/1/cbcs-message-board---terms-of-use/#1

What are the consequences of violating the board rules?

Moderators will be creating a stickied thread that will document all actions that result in disciplinary action. It will list the user’s name, why they received disciplinary action, and how long their suspension will last. No discussion in the thread will be allowed.

Disciplinary action will be issued in the following structure. Strikes against an account will be removed on the 1-year anniversary of the strike.
>1st offense, 1-week suspension.
>2nd offense, 2-week suspension.
>3rd offense, 4-week suspension.
>4th offense, permanent ban of the user’s account.

While these are the general guidelines, moderators can accelerate an account ban upon a rule violation that is severe. This acceleration will only be done after a private vote by the moderators and CBCS management. A word of note; creating a shill account could very likely put a user in jeopardy of receiving a permanent ban, so again, please don’t do it.

Moderators have a very difficult job, and they do not deserve to be attacked or ridiculed for the disciplinary actions they take. Each moderator has been given a set of guidelines that are meant to help keep the CBCS forum a place that is positive and enjoyable for people to talk about comics and collecting. At times, or over a period of time, some board members cross the line and the Moderators have to take action. They do not take pleasure in locking threads, deleting posts or issuing suspensions, nor do they do so lightly. Board members who repeatedly argue about or question the decisions moderators make will face disciplinary action. The CBCS forum is a place to talk comics and collecting, not to harass the other members, or the people helping to keep the peace.

What does this mean to you? Likely nothing. Probably nothing. We encourage you all to contribute, ask questions, and disagree. Keep it civil and respectful. That’s all we ask.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Nice one @SteveRicketts I'm reading this on the 2.45 am car ferry from UK back to Ireland after a very tiring 2 day visit and it's great to read such constructive and positive CBCS comments 👍
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Amen!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Thanks for all you guys do for the Hobby. Hope everything is well after Irman and can't wait to get some books back from Pancaking and slabing
Post 4 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
So when are we getting an ignore function? Would make life easier for a lot of us.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
So when are we getting an ignore function? Would make life easier for a lot of us.

I agree. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
An ignore function would be a welcome feature here, from any point of view.

That said, just using self control is the best ignore function there is, and doesn't require anyone else to implement it. If you (the generic you) don't like what someone says, move on. Reacting to it negatively, no matter how oblique you think you're being, makes you the problem, not the person you have the problem with.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

That said, just using self control is the best ignore function there is, and doesn't require anyone else to implement it. If you (the generic you) don't like what someone says, move on. Reacting to it negatively, no matter how oblique you think you're being, makes you the problem, not the person you have the problem with.

You can still disagree with someone. That is allowed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with anything or anyone. The line is crossed when the disagreement becomes personal. When does it become personal...? Almost always when the word "you" is used.

Examples:

"I don't agree with your stance on why Neal Adams was a better layout artist than Bernie Wrightson, and here's why..." - good disagreement.

"You always..." "You never..." "Why do you..." "Who do you think you are..." "You ought to..." "There you go again..." "You are a..." "You think you know everything..." - personal, and never appropriate.

It's perfectly possible to have a civil, impersonal disagreement...even a passionate one...without making it personal. If a person can't have a disagreement without making it personal, they don't belong having disagreements.

Some of my best friends in the comics world are people with whom I have had passionate disagreements, but who nevertheless didn't think less of me because of it, and vice versa.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

No it isn't.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@robertofredrico I see what you did there, lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
Quote:

No it isn't.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but at the same time it's good to know where cbcs stands on what they consider inappropriate use of their forum. Having expectations in black and white is a step in the right direction. Thank you, mr. Ricketts and moderators for your continued efforts.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
So will there be a moderation thread coming on who's gone and who is just on vacation.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Midnightowl private msg quote post Address this user
Let everyone back on, and start fresh with the updated rules.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Hilarious. Arguments in the thread that disallows arguments.

I have just one question.

Are we not allowed to offend another? Because some people get offended real easy like.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightowl
Let everyone back on, and start fresh with the updated rules.

+1

I like the new set of rules. Disagreeing or correcting someone respectfully rather than with destain and demeaning is not that difficult. After all, we are collectively on the same side; comic books!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how strict the moderators will be with the new rules yet. Before the next disagreement happens in the sandbox I would like to give some props to the moderators for their work up to this point.

I think they have generally allowed for a fair amount of banter and given us multiple opportunities to work problems out for ourselves instead of being too quick to lock threads, delete posts, or suspend people.

While I have not been on the wrong end of a suspension I did make a couple mistakes resulting in a warning. Before the warnings I didn't believe I had done anything wrong but both times the message was received and I didn't repeat those mistakes again.

If the new rules mean that the mods will be quicker to break things up I can understand why that might be a good idea but I have been pretty happy with the level of restraint they have shown so far. While I miss some of the board members who are suspended they really did seem to be asking for it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
No it isn't.

You beat me to it.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
We should have consoling once a week. Ha,ha.I think it's good rules. 😇😈😂🤧🤡🤗🤔🤐🤓🙄🤠🤕🤒🙁😆Let's all get along.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
we're all adults here. lets act like it. kudos @SteveRicketts and the CBCS gang.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector shanbo5150 private msg quote post Address this user
As newbie here and veteran of countless hours pointlessly burned up arguing politics on a British newspaper's comment board the last thing I want to experience is more of same. Those wanting to play ‘gotcha,’ embellish their SJW credentials, or work out their gnawing existential angst “fighting” the enemy with a keyboard there’s an abundance of suitable forums out there. If this one is to be judiciously moderated I’m beyond fine with that.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Who posted this?
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Who posted this?

The Shadow did. Wanna make something of it?
Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Who posted this?

The Shadow did. Wanna make something of it?

Don't troll me, bro!
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
My takeaway from this is that Superman can beat up the Hulk
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts is right. At the end of the day we're all just collectors!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Put me down for about 1000 likes....

@JLS_Comics Which Superman? Vs which Hulk? The power level of both have varied greatly over the years.

The John Byrne's 1986/1987 Superman wouldn't have stood a chance against the 2007 Hulk from the World War Hulk period. But the Superman that has been around the longest - the guy that would fly through the Sun to clean his suit - wouldn't have much trouble with the Hulk that's been around the longest.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
A better match up would be cosmic Aunt May VS Mr. Fixet Hulk
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@no1lufcfan Hey! I just came back from a trip to Ireland...my first time there....beautiful country steeped in history, culture and art!! Great people to be found everywhere I went. I was in Galway the day after the great Hurling victory! I've been to many countries in Europe and Ireland ranks as one of my favorite places if not right at the top....Dublin is magnificent as well!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
600764 121 30