Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Pedigrees

Pedigree and provenance discussion thread (post’em if you got’em)11383

Collector walls private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone has some super nice books. Definitely envious of all the pedigreed golden age books! Congrats.
Post 176 IP   flag post
I always enjoy the horror books from the seventies...

Post 177 IP   flag post
I always feel like this should be a horror book with that Jeff Jones cover.

Post 178 IP   flag post
Scooped this guy up from one of the auction houses only because it was a Western Penn book.

Post 179 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
Looks like the Tomahawk was dropped at top of spine, to me.

Yes, a press might help it. At least get the creases out of the interior pages.
Post 180 IP   flag post

Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
I've always loved the cover and had my eye out for a high grade copy already - but this nice pedigree label made me break the budget I set for myself on this book, I could not resist!

Post 181 IP   flag post
Super nice book, I can't believe I didn't see this one. 👏
Post 182 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@SauceDog awesome cover and super cool label...I love the pedigree label colour. I wish this label colour was for a different designation of book only because I have zero pedigree books and I'd love to have these labels in my collection.

A CBCS label with this colour scheme would be even better.
Post 183 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
yeah that Ghosts #11 has a great cover. Awesome grab.
Post 184 IP   flag post
Collector JtR6237411 private msg quote post Address this user

I was able to buy about 2 dozen Bronze Age Spider-Man and Fantastic Four books from a guy that lives close to the Kentucky boarder, lives in Ohio. When I got the books as you can see from the 3 examples I've posted. These books are in really good shape, I'd say no lower than a 9.4 and I'm being conservative about it. I noticed the black date stamps on all of them. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right trail here, are they Bowling Green Pedigree?
Post 185 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtR6237411

I was able to buy about 2 dozen Bronze Age Spider-Man and Fantastic Four books from a guy that lives close to the Kentucky boarder, lives in Ohio. When I got the books as you can see from the 3 examples I've posted. These books are in really good shape, I'd say no lower than a 9.4 and I'm being conservative about it. I noticed the black date stamps on all of them. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right trail here, are they Bowling Green Pedigree?

Bowling Green books are tough as they don't have any certs. I have a good amount that don't have date stamps as well.

I bought a bunch off ebay a long time ago from some guy in CA. I think it was called Marvel Movers? I got the Tower of Shadows run, a good amount of Nick Fury, and some other stuff. Most of it is raw in mylar.

Post 186 IP   flag post
Just looking at the quality and that stamp, location I got them from. They look the part, correct? Thanks for you reply and photos.
Post 187 IP   flag post
This collection originated from Bowling Green, Kentucky, and first surfaced for sale in the 1999 Sotheby's comic auction. It consisted of Marvel and DC issues spanning 1960-1980; although some of the earlier issues were lower in grade, the condition improved considerably after 1964. Most copies exhibit a date stamp on the front cover.

I guess someone in the area could have bought them from the Sotheby's auction. I have found other pedigree's out in the wild and the owner had no idea.

It's also possible a distributor in the area was stamping all their books like this...but they sure do look the part.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Gaines File Copy...

Post 189 IP   flag post
Billy Wright...

Post 190 IP   flag post
This is an undesignated "pedigree" or rather collection as the original owner provenance isn't clearly traced. These books were part of a large single owner collection of Timelys sold back in 2011 as The Super Soldier Collection by Metropolis/ComicConnect when the doors opened on preview night at SDCC. There were simultaneously placed on sale via internet on the east coast. I bought All Winners #19, Captain America #60 and Captain America's Weird Tales #74. Most were high grade and they came with a certificate noting the special nature of the collection. Here's an example of certificate and the book...

Post 191 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
This collection originated from Bowling Green, Kentucky, and first surfaced for sale in the 1999 Sotheby's comic auction. It consisted of Marvel and DC issues spanning 1960-1980; although some of the earlier issues were lower in grade, the condition improved considerably after 1964. Most copies exhibit a date stamp on the front cover.

I guess someone in the area could have bought them from the Sotheby's auction. I have found other pedigree's out in the wild and the owner had no idea.

It's also possible a distributor in the area was stamping all their books like this...but they sure do look the part.
Post 192 IP   flag post
The person I've been buying them from lives right on the Ohio/Kentucky boarder.
Post 193 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtR6237411
The person I've been buying them from lives right on the Ohio/Kentucky boarder.

It's certainly possible but unfortunately they didn't come with certs. Impossible to really know their provenance. Makes you wonder if the original seller sold them all or held on to some?
Post 194 IP   flag post
and now some more books...

Post 195 IP   flag post

Post 196 IP   flag post

Post 197 IP   flag post

Post 198 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 199 IP   flag post

Post 200 IP   flag post

Post 201 IP   flag post

Post 202 IP   flag post
Just sold it. Shipping it to its new home today.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Whoa! Did anyone get the new Chinatown pedigree announcement. What a great looking collection!
Post 204 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Whoa! Did anyone get the new Chinatown pedigree announcement. What a great looking collection!

Really? Where? Wasn't this collection found years ago (I think in Vancouver BC) or is this a new one?

Nevermind. Just saw the email.
Post 205 IP   flag post
615424 267 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?