Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Pedigrees

Pedigree and provenance discussion thread (post’em if you got’em)11383

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@GAC - File copy refers to comics that were put aside for the publishers (and sometimes artists and others) and not distributed to the public. For example, you might have heard about the Gaines file copies of EC comics from the 1950’s. Gaines put aside and carefully stored several copies of most of the issues he published. Years later his family had them graded resulting in some, if not all, of the highest graded known copies of those issues. Dell, Harvey, and some other publishers are known to have done similar things.

Excellent description. The only addition I’d make is to break this down further into those “others” who received NFS file copies. Besides management ...which would often include “pay copies” as part of record keeping... there were often copies sent to those in the production end including writers of note and those who were somehow involved in investment or control of the company.

For instance, Lloyd Jacquett was involved with Timely long after Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. Copies of Sub-Mariner with Lloyd’s name stamped on the cover were provided by Timely. Another example, the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate had a stack of Daredevil Battles Hitler first issues (mostly high grade with dust shadows and average PQ). None of the DBH books are officially considered file copies, but it is presumed that they were part of some business involvement with publisher Lev Gleason. BTW, they do appear to be uniquely identifiable.

Are there other examples? Probably, but identifying file copies can be difficult as they often fall below the usual pedigree standards in one respect or another (such as grade, numbers and PQ quality). In fact, many file copies have stamped names and office markings or some form of damage from staple holes to improper storage. This extends to trimming and hardcover binding (publisher’s libraries) which complicates overall grading.

Sorry ‘bout the info-dump, too much coffee this morning.
Post 126 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
@GAC - File copy refers to comics that were put aside for the publishers (and sometimes artists and others) and not distributed to the public. For example, you might have heard about the Gaines file copies of EC comics from the 1950’s. Gaines put aside and carefully stored several copies of most of the issues he published. Years later his family had them graded resulting in some, if not all, of the highest graded known copies of those issues. Dell, Harvey, and some other publishers are known to have done similar things.

Excellent description. The only addition I’d make is to break this down further into those “others” who received NFS file copies. Besides management ...which would often include “pay copies” as part of record keeping... there were often copies sent to those in the production end including writers of note and those who were somehow involved in investment or control of the company.

For instance, Lloyd Jacquett was involved with Timely long after Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. Copies of Sub-Mariner with Lloyd’s name stamped on the cover were provided by Timely. Another example, the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate had a stack of Daredevil Battles Hitler first issues (mostly high grade with dust shadows and average PQ). None of the DBH books are officially considered file copies, but it is presumed that they were part of some business involvement with publisher Lev Gleason. BTW, they do appear to be uniquely identifiable.

Are there other examples? Probably, but identifying file copies can be difficult as they often fall below the usual pedigree standards in one respect or another (such as grade, numbers and PQ quality). In fact, many file copies have stamped names and office markings or some form of damage from staple holes to improper storage. This extends to trimming and hardcover binding (publisher’s libraries) which complicates overall grading.

Thank you! Always happy to receive relevant information! 🍻
Post 127 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Some Northford books. One of my favorite pedigrees.

Containing predominantly '50s horror comic books, this collection was found in a chest of drawers sold to an antique dealer after the collector passed away in the early '70s. The dealer kept them until 1999, when he sold them to Metropolis Comics. It contained the most complete run of pre-code horror comic books out of all the pedigreed collections, and the copies are easily identified by a small stamp of an "X" within a circle found on the back covers.

Post 128 IP   flag post

Post 129 IP   flag post
a few of the back covers so you can see the cool (X) stamp that all the Northford books have.

Post 130 IP   flag post

Post 131 IP   flag post
Feldstein cover, Gaines File Copy ("By George" Williamson)...

Post 132 IP   flag post
Another Feldstein cover Gaines File Copy...

Post 133 IP   flag post

Post 134 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

Thank you! Always happy to receive relevant information! 🍻

A mate of mine brought to market the Lee Falk file copies.
Frew a Australian publisher had the rights to print Falks phantom comics.
Though frew Phantoms are not the longest published comic book. It is the longest consecutively numbered comic book as it has been published fortnightly for decades.
Anyway as Frew published the books they sent Falk the books that were published.when Falks relatives sold his estate a lot of those file copies were still unopened in the vanilla folders they were sent to him.
A lot of those books graded anywhere from 9.4 to 9.8 white pages. Amazing as the covers are not glossy and are just newspaper print covers. These books were graded by CGC and have the Lee Falk file copies on the labels.
Any books that were sent to the Lee Falk home from Frew publisher after his death were not eligible to be labeled from the Lee Falk file copies.
Post 135 IP   flag post
This Gaines File Copy was hanging around just waiting to be get in...

Post 136 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 137 IP   flag post

Post 138 IP   flag post
I’ve got one or two more pedigree books and a private collection book of high stature that I think will fit nicely in this thread. Regardless of any future scans contributed, this thread has been exceptional. Big cheers to all participants!
Post 139 IP   flag post

Post 140 IP   flag post

Post 141 IP   flag post
I don't recall posting this Gaines File Copy earlier in this thread, so here goes...

Post 142 IP   flag post

Post 143 IP   flag post

Post 144 IP   flag post
Not a pedigree, but a very rare book with a cool cover & excellent provenance...

Post 145 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
still have a couple laying around

Post 146 IP   flag post

Post 147 IP   flag post

Post 148 IP   flag post

Post 149 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito Sweeee-et!!
Post 150 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

Incredible!! You need to post this one in the Centaur Thread. Participation, participation
Post 151 IP   flag post
random pedigree post (RPP) to keep the thread alive

Post 152 IP   flag post
Beautiful book with razor sharp corners. These square bound books are tough as they always seem to be beat up from any kind of handling.

Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector walls private msg quote post Address this user
New guy on the forum here. Love everyone's pedigree books. I've always been drawn to pedigree books due to the stories behind them. Here's a few of mine, mostly bronze but a couple of silver.

Post 154 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@walls - Welcome to the forums. Fantastic books!
Post 155 IP   flag post
601494 267 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?