Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Pedigrees

Pedigree and provenance discussion thread (post’em if you got’em)11383

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 101 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Chicago...

Post 102 IP   flag post
My kinda town, Chicago is...

Post 103 IP   flag post
Ohio pedigree...

Post 104 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 105 IP   flag post

One more Billy Wright pedigree book...

Post 106 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This thread has convinced me that my long-term (lifetime) collecting goal will be to own 1 book from each Pedigree. The history of each is so cool and it's a perfect fit to my personal fascination with understanding historical perspective.
I think this is my favorite Pedigree story:
The Denver collection was assembled by a woman who ran a newsstand and carefully stored away 153 issues between 1938 and 1944. Even though it is one of the smallest pedigreed collections, every copy was a #1 issue, and included valuable keys like Batman #1, Captain America #1, Flash Comics #1, Green Lantern #1, Marvel Comics #1 and Sensation #1. The collection was purchased at an estate sale by local antique dealers, who in turn sold it to Joe Verenault. Many of the Denver copies are the highest graded on CGC's census. They do not exhibit any distinctive markings.

To think that she had the extreme foresight to keep a copy of each #1. Ironically, it looks like maybe she never actually benefited from it financially if the collection was sold by her estate? Also ironic, this is probably the Pedigree I will be least likely to ever own a book from.
Post 107 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is incredible...so many terrific books all displayed
on one site...and me with not one of them...WOW!

Marty
Post 108 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
One more Billy Wright pedigree book...

This book is insane!!!!
Post 109 IP   flag post
Here is a cool pedigree pair. An old school cover swipe

Post 110 IP   flag post
Here is a tough book. Only 3 graded at 9.6 and zero at 9.8

Post 111 IP   flag post
2 new reholders. They had cracked/damaged cases. My favorite service...15 day turnaround

This is a weird one. Only graded copy. Is it because no one cares about jet fighter books or it's very rare?

Post 112 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Big Apple books are the least favorite for me in the silver age. Page quality of the silver books are not the best as they were stored on top of open shelves.
Hence the page quality of the TTA 71 tan/off-white

I've bought Big Apple books already slabbed and bought them raw and sent them into CGC
Post 113 IP   flag post

Boston pedigree is one of a few favorites of mine in the silver age. I've bought them already in a slab and bought them raw and had them sent into CGC

This is another Boston. I dropped off at CBCS. Not happy that it does not have the Boston pedigree on the label.
Unfortunately I don't have the mylar now from metropolis to crack it and send to CGC to get the proper recognition for this book.
I've bought many raw Boston's and this book though low grade is a Boston.
Post 114 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
This is another Boston. I dropped off at CBCS. Not happy that it does not have the Boston pedigree on the label.
Unfortunately I don't have the mylar now from metropolis to crack it and send to CGC to get the proper recognition for this book.
I've bought many raw Boston's and this book though low grade is a Boston.

You don't necessarily need the Mylar. If you have a sales receipt, can get an email from Metro, or have any other way to show it's a Boston, they will certify it.
Post 115 IP   flag post
@DrWatson yeah I was thinking that. And I did always keep the receipts over the years of all the books I bought off Metro.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Mile high 2

Not recognized as a pedigree anymore for good reason. A warehouse full of books that were not sold thru the newsagents and should of been destroyed does not make a pedigree.

With that said I think it's cool to have a book that was once considered can pedigree but no longer.
I've just got to keep the case in good condition as a reholder will result of the mile high 2 pedigree designation being removed.

Post 117 IP   flag post

Post 118 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
When labels say the book is a "File Copy" what does that mean?
Post 119 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - File copy refers to comics that were put aside for the publishers (and sometimes artists and others) and not distributed to the public. For example, you might have heard about the Gaines file copies of EC comics from the 1950’s. Gaines put aside and carefully stored several copies of most of the issues he published. Years later his family had them graded resulting in some, if not all, of the highest graded known copies of those issues. Dell, Harvey, and some other publishers are known to have done similar things.
Post 120 IP   flag post
@esaravo Excellent!! Thanks Ed!!!
Post 121 IP   flag post
I have a few Boston books

Post 122 IP   flag post

Post 123 IP   flag post

Post 124 IP   flag post
Another gem-dandy from Edgar's cellar (attributing cover to Jack Kirby)...

Post 125 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@GAC - File copy refers to comics that were put aside for the publishers (and sometimes artists and others) and not distributed to the public. For example, you might have heard about the Gaines file copies of EC comics from the 1950’s. Gaines put aside and carefully stored several copies of most of the issues he published. Years later his family had them graded resulting in some, if not all, of the highest graded known copies of those issues. Dell, Harvey, and some other publishers are known to have done similar things.

Excellent description. The only addition I’d make is to break this down further into those “others” who received NFS file copies. Besides management ...which would often include “pay copies” as part of record keeping... there were often copies sent to those in the production end including writers of note and those who were somehow involved in investment or control of the company.

For instance, Lloyd Jacquett was involved with Timely long after Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. Copies of Sub-Mariner with Lloyd’s name stamped on the cover were provided by Timely. Another example, the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate had a stack of Daredevil Battles Hitler first issues (mostly high grade with dust shadows and average PQ). None of the DBH books are officially considered file copies, but it is presumed that they were part of some business involvement with publisher Lev Gleason. BTW, they do appear to be uniquely identifiable.

Are there other examples? Probably, but identifying file copies can be difficult as they often fall below the usual pedigree standards in one respect or another (such as grade, numbers and PQ quality). In fact, many file copies have stamped names and office markings or some form of damage from staple holes to improper storage. This extends to trimming and hardcover binding (publisher’s libraries) which complicates overall grading.

Sorry ‘bout the info-dump, too much coffee this morning.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Excellent description. The only addition I’d make is to break this down further into those “others” who received NFS file copies. Besides management ...which would often include “pay copies” as part of record keeping... there were often copies sent to those in the production end including writers of note and those who were somehow involved in investment or control of the company.

For instance, Lloyd Jacquett was involved with Timely long after Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. Copies of Sub-Mariner with Lloyd’s name stamped on the cover were provided by Timely. Another example, the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate had a stack of Daredevil Battles Hitler first issues (mostly high grade with dust shadows and average PQ). None of the DBH books are officially considered file copies, but it is presumed that they were part of some business involvement with publisher Lev Gleason. BTW, they do appear to be uniquely identifiable.

Are there other examples? Probably, but identifying file copies can be difficult as they often fall below the usual pedigree standards in one respect or another (such as grade, numbers and PQ quality). In fact, many file copies have stamped names and office markings or some form of damage from staple holes to improper storage. This extends to trimming and hardcover binding (publisher’s libraries) which complicates overall grading.

Sorry ‘bout the info-dump, too much coffee this morning.

Thank you! Always happy to receive relevant information! 🍻
Post 127 IP   flag post
Some Northford books. One of my favorite pedigrees.

Containing predominantly '50s horror comic books, this collection was found in a chest of drawers sold to an antique dealer after the collector passed away in the early '70s. The dealer kept them until 1999, when he sold them to Metropolis Comics. It contained the most complete run of pre-code horror comic books out of all the pedigreed collections, and the copies are easily identified by a small stamp of an "X" within a circle found on the back covers.

Post 128 IP   flag post

Post 129 IP   flag post
a few of the back covers so you can see the cool (X) stamp that all the Northford books have.

Post 130 IP   flag post
601495 267 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?