Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Pedigrees

Pedigree and provenance discussion thread (post’em if you got’em)11383

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 226 IP   flag post
I always though this was a cool war cover. The flames really make it stand out

Post 227 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito those look like Australian soldiers slouch hats. I'm always on the look out for those covers
Post 228 IP   flag post
I don't think anyone has posted a New Hampshire book yet. I have a few raw New Hampshire's in the grading vortex as well. I am excited to get them back. They have some really cool covers.

New Hampshire books are easy to spot. They are all Westerns and have the last 2 digits of the year (and sometimes the month) penciled somewhere on the cover.

Post 229 IP   flag post
Another New Hampshire book. They sure look like bad men eh?

Post 230 IP   flag post

Tough to find in any decent grade.

Post 231 IP   flag post
I've always liked infinity covers. This one fit the bill.

Post 232 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
MASS copy - purchased from Marnin Rosenberg way back in the pre internet days:

Post 233 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
This important pedigree needs no introduction, but it has earned one anyway...

Post 234 IP   flag post
These square bound books are always tough.

Post 235 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I didn’t realize until I was holding it that this was the Lost Valley copy. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t even mentioned in the auction listing!

Post 236 IP   flag post
I found this New Hampshire copy in the wild. Quite exhilarating to see that pencil date mark.

Made me wonder how many pedigree books are out there & the owner has no idea.

Post 237 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito there are many pedigree books that are now lost.
I did have 6 western penn ironmans with 20c cover price that were raw that I sold to a collector back in Australia. He doesn't care about pedigrees just high grade books that have perfect wrap covers.
Last I heard he sold the bulk of his collection has he has a special needs child so the new owner of those ironmans has no idea that they are western penn.

I have a few Boston's in the first gen cgc case and I had 2 raw copies. So I know what they look like. I sent a TTA 82 to cgc and it came back with the Boston on the label. I sent a TTA 76 to cbcs and it came back with no Boston on the label so that book is now lost.

On the other hand I had the River city copy of Battlefield 8 that I traded to a collector years ago for two pre hero TTA.
That book is raw but has the grease pencil distribution on the cover so it can't get lost.

So as long as there are distinctive marks on the cover or inside the ped can always be found.

No markings and if they are not a new ped like Rocky Mountain or twin cities where they were pretty much graded by cgc when brought to market then there is a good chance they will become lost.

A shame really
Post 238 IP   flag post
So I was perusing CGC's pedigree list and I noticed Circle 8 was on there (https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/).

Correct me if I'm wrong but was this not "de-pedigreed" for being an overstock/overage collection? Maybe it was given the status back? Anyone?
Post 239 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
The current auction of SHIRLEY'S MARKET COLLECTION on ComicConnect
lists a graded 4.0 copy of TERRY-TOONS #38...I will be interested
to see what the final bid will be as my non-pedigreed copy is 6.0.

mm
Post 240 IP   flag post
@martymann cool book Marty. 1st Mighty Mouse!! I'm sure it will fetch big $$.
Post 241 IP   flag post
I didn't think circle 8 had it's pedigree removed. I know the mile high 2s did. Luckily I have one still with the designation on the label.
Got me thinking with the crack and press crowd. Any mile high 2s still with it on a label in a slab haven't been pressed as I have the feeling at the time they were certified that pressing wasn't a big thing then.
Post 242 IP   flag post
Now file copies can never be lost unless they lose the outer first wrap.

Post 243 IP   flag post
Cool interior stamps/markings. I have a few raw Harvey file copies somewhere. I am now interested to see what is inside.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I didn't think circle 8 had it's pedigree removed. I know the mile high 2s did. Luckily I have one still with the designation on the label.
Got me thinking with the crack and press crowd. Any mile high 2s still with it on a label in a slab haven't been pressed as I have the feeling at the time they were certified that pressing wasn't a big thing then.

I could have sworn Circle 8 had the same issue as the Diamond Run and MH 2 books in that they were not original owner purchases...just extras/leftovers from a store stock. I will have to do some more digging.
Post 245 IP   flag post

Maybe because the books were not purchased straight off the news stand that it lost its pedigree.
Find it strange that after that they would reinstate it as a pedigree
Post 246 IP   flag post
and also the presence of restored books would definitely kill the idea of original owner.

CGC's write up seems like a different story:

Circle 8
In 1992 this massive collection of 100,000 comics was discovered in a barn in Tuscon, Arizona by Greg Buls and Howard Harris. It was assembled through a used bookstore between 1955 and 1972 who discounted unsold comic books by writing a grease pencil "8" inside a circle, indicating a discount of 2 cents off the original 10 cent cover price. This practice continued as cover prices increased to 12 cents (with a grease pencil "10" written as the discount), 15 cents, and 20 cents, with an estimated 50% of the collection exhibiting the written discount. Of note, many of the highest graded horror and science fiction Atlas comics from the '50s hail from this pedigree.
Post 247 IP   flag post
and while we're chatting pedigree books....how about another pedigree book!

Post 248 IP   flag post

Post 249 IP   flag post
Love Subby covers. Especially the 70s ones.

Post 250 IP   flag post

Post 251 IP   flag post

This book I use to own but not anymore.
A River city copy with the grease pencil on the front cover. Nice book. Atlas war hard to find in decent shape 👍
Post 252 IP   flag post
Collector JtR6237411 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
This collection originated from Bowling Green, Kentucky, and first surfaced for sale in the 1999 Sotheby's comic auction. It consisted of Marvel and DC issues spanning 1960-1980; although some of the earlier issues were lower in grade, the condition improved considerably after 1964. Most copies exhibit a date stamp on the front cover.

I guess someone in the area could have bought them from the Sotheby's auction. I have found other pedigree's out in the wild and the owner had no idea.

It's also possible a distributor in the area was stamping all their books like this...but they sure do look the part.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
This collection originated from Bowling Green, Kentucky, and first surfaced for sale in the 1999 Sotheby's comic auction. It consisted of Marvel and DC issues spanning 1960-1980; although some of the earlier issues were lower in grade, the condition improved considerably after 1964. Most copies exhibit a date stamp on the front cover.

I guess someone in the area could have bought them from the Sotheby's auction. I have found other pedigree's out in the wild and the owner had no idea.

It's also possible a distributor in the area was stamping all their books like this...but they sure do look the part.
So I just got back all of those books from CGC and they were bowling Greens.
Post 254 IP   flag post
So I got my books back from CGC and they were Bowling Greens.

Post 255 IP   flag post
597877 267 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?