Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

I love this cover too, but this is crazy!1095

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
$1500 with a whole day to go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302052044619?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Jerry Robinson being dead probably has an affect on the price.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Clank private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, what a waste of money. Imagine all the real comics you could buy with that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Rediculous!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You have to ask, how many Dell'Otto Batman/Joker covers exist with Robinson's signature?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Well worth it imo I'd pay $3,000 if I cared about it like I do TMNT
Post 6 IP   flag post
I predict it breaks $1700.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ebay really needs to fix there feedback system. This seller has only 1 neg and 97%, yet there are high volume sellers with dozens to hundreds of negs sitting at 99.9% This is a case where pure mathematics can't describe reality. They need to use an algorithm.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Ebay really needs to fix there feedback system. This seller has only 1 neg and 97%, yet there are high volume sellers with dozens to hundreds of negs sitting at 99.9% This is a case where pure mathematics can't describe reality. They need to use an algorithm.

*shrug* I never thought twice about it.When I see low FB with 97%, I automatically know it's a couple to few negs. When I see tens of thousands FB with a 99.9%, I know it's going to be much bigger.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clank
Wow, what a waste of money. Imagine all the real comics you could buy with that.

This. So many great, time-tested books out there I can get with the money this signature is going to get. So much big money being spent on anything BUT the comic book within, anymore.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
But people are free to spend their money on whatever they want. Some folks here might not want to spend that kind of cash on this book but clearly there are others that have no issue with it. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that book but I really and truly don't care what someone else does.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for
Post 12 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Just look at it like this, that person has interests different than yours, and that's one less person with deep pockets bidding against you on your next purchase.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Don't get me wrong, they can do what they want. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it.
I suppose there's the possibility that the people bidding can spend 1.5k like I can spend $35 lol
Post 14 IP   flag post
The high bidder might be Jared Leto.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Don't get me wrong, they can do what they want. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it.
I suppose there's the possibility that the people bidding can spend 1.5k like I can spend $35 lol

I agree. I can't wrap my mind around people spending that much on a recent book. Then again I wouldn't spend the cash on some of the not so recent books that people spend money on. I sure wouldn't dole out the cash people spend on Hulk #181 or SPJO #134. To each their own though because I spent over $100 a few years ago for a 9.6 CGC graded Superman #261.

I also can't complain since I have been and probably will be able to continue to cash in on people going nuts for more modern books. I keep getting lucky and buying in at cover for many of the past hot items. Some have stayed hot others have plateaued.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
I sure wouldn't dole out the cash people spend on Hulk #181 or SPJO #134.

I get what you're saying, but I'd feel a whole lot better about those purchases than I would for anything modern. I paid $2400 for a 0.5 AF #15 4 years ago, and 15 GPA recorded sales later has the last one selling for $6400. Obviously I feel pretty good about the purchase.

Of course that's a moot point if the bidders simply want it for their own. But if not, I'd be real curious to see how well it would sell for in 4 years.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Utterly preposterous. The buyer will regret the purchase in a few years when this bubble bursts....
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS you could have bought a stack of these variants for $40.00 a pop 4 years ago. Which would have the stronger return?

I bought about 10 copies of BA12 from the CGC forum about 6 years ago. I started selling them 2 years ago, I paid a high of $25.00, the cheapest I sold a copy for was $400.

So while you may feel more "comfortable" your return of investment is far lower. I could have additionally bought 50 copies of walking dead 1 when they were $100.00 and cashed out over $100K.

Think about that.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@stophmaster What bubble? The book has been hot for years.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Clank What are "real comics"
Post 21 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS I get ya. The one thing I have taken note of though that has come about since the interwebs became a biig influence is that pricing trends happen a lot faster and have often been far more explosive too. By that I mean the price jumps can happen often and in larger chunks. Heck, Hulk #181 really didn't do a heck of a lot price-wise until the interwebs started catching on. The book sat at $40 in the guide for a long time and it wasn't always easy to move one. At least in my neck of the woods.

When CGC came on the scene things went nuts again and many books soared dramatically in price and that has pretty much been the norm since.

Now back to variants or and other modern books. Things are different now but not so different that when a book hits a certain value you are simply not going to see it drop in value significantly. Those folks paying north of $1500 for this book are not going to take a loss. The value may plateau for a while or years but it really never going to drop. Sure you might get sales below $1500 or even blow $1000 but not many if any. They know that the bumps will come again.

So nowadays I feel very comfortable about moderns I have that have exceeded $500. Not that I have many and not that I pay $100's or $1000's of dollars, usually it is cover or "going rate" for that rationed variant.

Again though I perfectly understand if you just are not that confident and prefer not to play the modern game. I am just putting out my observations. I have had a few books now that I never thought they would get to be where they are now and at least one of them has only been going up .... for 12 years now
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
@MR_SigS you could have bought a stack of these variants for $40.00 a pop 4 years ago. Which would have the stronger return?

I bought about 10 copies of BA12 from the CGC forum about 6 years ago. I started selling them 2 years ago, I paid a high of $25.00, the cheapest I sold a copy for was $400.

So while you may feel more "comfortable" your return of investment is far lower. I could have additionally bought 50 copies of walking dead 1 when they were $100.00 and cashed out over $100K.

Think about that.

What many people forget is that most stores do not make their living on back issues or high priced items. Sure there some that do now but even most of those fellas started by making many sales of the cheaper items or new items. Most stores make the bulk of their sales on the most recent stuff and the bulk of their back issue sales are cheaper items, some that they have had sitting in the bins for years. Its all about many small margin sales than the one or two big ticket items. If you don't have the regular small margin sales you likely are gonna have a hard time working up to being a "high end" dealer.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
@Clank What are "real comics"

A comic that isn't artificially (pre-planned) made to be scarce such as a nice silver or golden age key. But I really shouldn't speak for Clank.
Post 24 IP   flag post
It's pretty humorous to me that this debate is stemming from this book. This book is very hard to come by, and has so many positive factors going toward it that debating its value seems silly to me. 1) It's a cover by Dell'Otto who is super popular right now, and for good reason. 2) It's Batman and Joker. 3) It's a limited edition of 2000. 4) It's a French edition, which adds to the difficulty of finding it. 5) It's a virgin cover. 6) This cover has a nice foil effect on it which is difficult to photograph (would love to see this book in person one day). 7) It's signed by Dell'Otto. 8) It's signed by the creator of the Joker, Jerry Robinson, who is passed. This book was a perfect storm of collectability for the right collector even before it was signed.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Debate?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Don't get me wrong, I want this book bad. However, I'm not willing to pass over established Silver or Golden Age books to get it. It just doesn't seem right. It has not earned its rarity through attrition and the ravages of time; they just DECIDED to print only 2000 of them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Every collector has there priorities. I'm just saying, the value of this book to the collector who wants this book right now is pretty easy to see. Especially if the collector is looking for books signed by Robinson (which are hard to find in their own right regardless of what book it is). Any collector who has their own priorities elsewhere should not scoff at the collector who buys this. You should actually be thankful that this person is buying this instead of bidding against you (the general "you" ) on something that you want.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Any collector who has their own priorities elsewhere should not scoff at the collector who buys this.

Sometimes people scoff at what they disagree with, like Star Wars comics signed by Stan Lee.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Sometimes things just go beyond just having different tastes and are plain redonkulous and deserve to be scoffed. A Star Wars signed by Stan is one of those things.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596791 60 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?