Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureStatuesToys

Off Topic: Scale Models, Anyone else build them?10839

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Truth be told, I’m a bit lapsed but I still like to hunt down and collect kits for future construction. My main focus is Star Trek ships at 1/1400 scale. I love seeing how the ships compare in size since we rarely get to see them side-by-side on screen.

Here are the models i’ve built of most of the major ships in the order they launched (roughly) in the Star Trek timeline.

If anyone is curious about how the USS Discovery fits in, it would be either right before or after the original Enterprise. The Discovery is actually freakishly long. Longer even than the Enterprise-E but only a little more massive than the Enterprise-B.

I’m especially stoke about the USS Franklin model since I modified a 3D model, scaled it, and had it 3D printed so it might be the only model of the ship at this scale out there right now.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite spectacular!!

one of my many goals for 2020 is to get a mini spray booth ready in the garage so I can start in on my model kits.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Awesome! What are you gonna build? Planes, cars, tanks?

EDIT: Just realized I don’t have a pic with the Enterprise C and D next to each other for comparison

Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy putting models together. I have a completed (but only half painted) Enterprise C in a closet (no pictures). But I just put together ones that catch my eye. Here is a 12 inch vinyl Cap that I did years ago.

Here is a 500 piece pagoda that stands about 10 inches tall.

And finally, a headless horseman that I painted to resemble a Revolutionary War era Hessian horseman, which is what the headless horseman is in the book.

I know I have more done and even more half done, but these are the ones I like to show off. LOL
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O The Cap reminds me of this old Venom kit I used to see back in 90’s comic ads. I remember thinking it looked so cool. Still do actually. Maybe one day I’ll track one down

The detail on the pagoda is pretty insane for it’s size!

The headless horseman also looks really cool! If you’re open to some constructive criticism, I think some dry brushing and ink washes would really make it pop!

If you’re not familiar with them, washing is basically taking a dark or black paint and diluting it with water or thinner so that it is super runny like water. You then go over parts of the model with it so it can run into all the tight crevices. The water or thinner dries out leaving the nooks, crevices, and edges with a darker color to add depth and a bit of realism as dirt and grime accumulates in the seams giving it a lived in look.

Dry brushing is basically the opposite. You use a lighter paint and you load it on your brush but then you pat it on a paper towel so the brush is basically dry. You brush this over parts of your model so that the raised edges catch the dry paint creating highlights.

I don’t use it so much on my Star Trek ships but I used it on this sculpt of the iron throne I made out of sculpey and I think it made very convincing stone on the base

And I think it really brought my Battlestar to life going from just the base paint

To the weathered look

But if you just like to paint as is, that’s cool too. I know I’ve gotten some flack on modeling boards because I do a lot of freehand painting so a lot of my painted lines and edges are pretty rough but I find masking every little line and edge just too tedious so that would take away from the joy of the hobby for me
Post 5 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite you have an awesome collection! I tried washes and dry brushing some on the horseman. I got it fairly good in some areas and in others it was a complete failure. The white areas and ground areas are especially tough for me. I have a Frazetta Death Dealer model where I have all the main parts put together and painted. But I haven't put the horse on the base yet because I just don't like the way my paint job looks. Maybe I'll finish it when I get back home.

Post 6 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite have some star trek and star wars and other space ships as well as some 1:43 scale F1 race cars!

instead of painting with a brush I'm going to try out an air brush!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you!

I did notice the horse tracks so I thought you might’ve tried some ink washing. I think I would try using a darker color like a light gray instead of the pure white. For a horse that’s been running through the mud and a war-weary hessian the pure white feels too bright for the rest of the model (and it really draws the eye to his groin area lol).

That Death Dealer looks like it would be fun to paint and definitely one where you’ll want to weather the heck out of it. What is it about your paint job so far that you’re not liking?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@KatKomics I haven’t used an airbrush, though I have used sprays. They’re great for laying down an even layer of paint so they’re perfect for the base layer. Star Wars ships in particular are known for their weathering so you might want to break out the brush and other tools to really get that level of detail that makes them shine. Well, not really shine but rust and chip and all those other little things that give Star Wars ships their personality.

I’d love to try my hand at the 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon but I’m not quite sure I’m ready to drop $500 on the kit >_<
Post 9 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite here is pic of the pieces off the net. If you look at the base, it has bones and dirt/mud. I mixed a weathered bone paint that I like, but I can't seem to get the dirt/mud to look right. All I really can say is that it looks unnatural. I though of gluing on potting soil, which I might just yet do. I'd also like to turn this into a diorama.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I thought something along this line, but without the globe, would be cool. I'd also want correctly scaled skulls.

Post 11 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite i think I may try some panel line and some other things to get the weathered look. The F1 cars though should be minty fresh like new...with luck!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Here’s a video showing a method of doing mud effects. It’s not a process I’ve done before but the theory of it makes sense. Basically you’re mixing a pigment/weathering powder with a medium that dries either glossy/reflective, or matte/dull to create a dry or wet mud effect.

I imagine that after it’s dry you could use pure gloss medium (maybe slightly watered down) almost like a wash to create puddles in the mud. That could be a cool effect.

Post 13 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite thanks. I'll have to give that a try. I like the idea of having little pools of water.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
most of the models I have are rebuilds of ones I did as a kid, that I had redone recently by a professional. Most are dinosaurs, Godzilla, and creature from the black lagoon type stuff. Same builder made many dioramas for me as well.

Post 15 IP   flag post

and of course cant forget Turok
Post 16 IP   flag post
I really hope my artist returns from his bout with arthritis, so I can commission something...I wanted to purchase a large scale figure of Drogon from Game of Thrones, and find a figure to ride him, ala Danaerys , as he is poised above a tower of the red keep, blasting it to rubble....my saddest memories of the series were the deaths of the two dragons .
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
This is wanting me go start doing models again.I used to do car models when I was a kid. They were always fun and relaxing to do.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You totally should! Heck you can combine hobbies and do cars from comics! Maybe there’s a Spider-Buggy kit out there somewhere lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
You totally should! Heck you can combine hobbies and do cars from comics! Maybe there’s a Spider-Buggy kit out tgere somewhere lol

I'm pretty sure that there is every version of the Batmobile out there. A couple may be out of production, but that would be when eBay is your friend. And I know there is the mystery van from scooby-doo because I almost bought one to do.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Oh I believe it! I built the Batmobile (and the Batwing) from the 1989 Batman film awhile back but wasn’t happy with them because I used a paint and primer that was too goopy so it went on thick and softened a lot of the detail.

I think it was an old kit because I think it came with a mail-in form to get a covering that mimicked the armored version you see in the movie. I have not been able to find that on ebay though
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ok, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to copy an address on my tablet! It's not just press, hold, select copy either. Anyway, my favorite model shop is Culttvman. There are ALL kinds of models there and usually they are priced the same or lower than eBay.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I often buy 3-d printed figures, single piece, so no building needed..and paint or have them painted. Challenge is to provide a proper base or scene once you do that...some of mine I already posted were 3 d prints, including many of the dinosaurs. I even have a few that were only designed for use in gaming or digital artist useage, where I was able to purchase the file, and alter it for printing use..mostly by creating hollows within to make it less costly and simpler.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598093 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?