Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics ForeignComics MagazinesComics Modern Age

Donny Cates on comic piracy article10595

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Good info Arak, the puzzle pieces fit together nicely to explain what we all knew we were seeing, but didn’t always know exactly why we were seeing it.

Donny Cates has every right to feel how he does. But it’s not in the best interest of himself our the industry. Donny is playing checkers when the game is Chess. I think we all agree that stealing is generally wrong. But from a business standpoint It’s not about alienating and excluding non-paying fans, it’s about embracing and evolving them, as Arak explains above. Donny would do well to start thinking 2 or 3 steps ahead.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
There will always be extremists that destroy our world in the name of saving it. There will always be people for whom logic and higher thinking are ruled out due to mental laziness society evolves anyways and hopefully those who refuse to think become the quiet minority
Post 52 IP   flag post
If the plans for the Death Star had not been stolen, Star Wars would have been a single movie franchise with a much darker ending.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
So wouldn't paying someone for a sketch of someone else's character be stealing, and worse stealing while making a profit off of others work.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Then there was this. Comic book store owners complained a bit....

That ASM run was EPIC!
Issue #250 is one of my all time favorites! Roger Stern was brilliant!
Post 55 IP   flag post

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
How about when a rapper like Dr. Dre emboldens a lifestyle of robbing and stealing and then complains about people stealing his music.

Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
How about when a rapper like Dr. Dre emboldens a lifestyle of robbing and stealing and then complains about people stealing his music.

Well, stealing from a Doctor is pretty low. Doctors heal the sick and comfort the dying.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arak

Indeed Indeed DARKSEID , My movie collecting woes beta-max,VHS,laser-disc CD, DVD,Blue Ray
Good God how many friggin times do I have to pay for Scar-face , Dark-night, and Shaw-shank???

|

If you look up and research copyright law then you will find that you didn't purchase the movie, song, comic book, or whatever. You don't own the movie, song, comic book, or whatever. You purchased the material media that the movie, song, comic book was placed upon, i.e., the CD, DVD, Blue Ray. Your purchase entitled you to use the item for personal use via a license.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Here is something funny i buy a lot of books from Kickstarter and indiegogo and have yet to see one of those digital books uploaded online and a lot of those stories are 10x better than the stuff Marvel and DC is pushing out

When you see 20 books earning over 50k a campaign with upwards of 200k you would think that these books would be pirated more due to the cost but it doesn't happen.

I just find it weird that $4-$10 books show up on free sites so often.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arak
"Here's what to do starting in the 90's ... minimize your product like everyone, substitute great stories ( ingredients ) for flashy eye catching art work. Oh and ( your going to love this) take all the additional nice pictures that use to be in the back of the book and slap them on the cover. call them variants and resell the same book 15 times.
"But where is your compassion and loyalty to all your fans" We have none. were only about profit and bottom line.
SO should you steal.....hmmmm is it steal
|

To this point exactly: Just finished East of West TBP #8. 135 page TPB priced at $16.99 in the U.S. (presumably more in Canada). Of the 135 pages, there were 95 pages of story. Literally 40 pages (almost 1 in 3) were filler, either completely empty or some little sketch or single sentence quote to for the entire page. The story literally started on page 12 of the book.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

Well, stealing from a Doctor is pretty low. Doctors heal the sick and comfort the dying.

Um the sick and dying.. Oh you mean me every time I hear his ??? Music???
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
and my nature valley peanut butter granola BARS have become 2 bite nuggets

What the hell BILL?
Post 62 IP   flag post
596799 62 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?