Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Pedigrees

Estate and Newstand10071

Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
1)What does the term 'estate' refer to? Is it just an 'only,original' owner? Does it affect the value(ie: is a grade 5.0 more valued if it just had 1 owner or is part of a whole series?)? Or does it just involve high grade books?

2)Does 'newstand' mean just that...a comic purchased years ago from a newstand or more contemporarily, a comic book store? And does it affect value etc?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Estate means someone died and their Estate (earthly belongings) is being sold off.

News stand refers to the era starting in the mid 70's to present where there were 2 ways to buy comics - from the news stand (corner grocer, neighborhood candy shop, toy store, etc) or from a direct market venue (what we refer to today as our LCS - a comic book store). Previously all comics were newsstand. Now the majority of comics are direct market.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
And some people are willing to pay higher for Newsstand copies in high grade.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It's often forgotten, but the Direct market also solicited "newsstand" versions in the 90's that were never sold through the newsstand.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Early in direct market editions they were the short prints...something too many people forget
Post 5 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of years ago I bought a copy of "Batman from the 30's to the 70's HC" and it was advertised from an estate sale... It was in immaculate condition and I have never seen another for sale that looks better than my copy, bright white pages and dust jacket perfect.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600912 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?