Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Complaints about specific books submitted, graded and returned.9992

Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I went through the forum rules and didn't see anything about posting something like this so I'm just wondering whether the forums are an appropriate location to discuss problems with a submission where the book has apparently been damaged or mishandled during the post-grading / encapsulation process and what I can expect to happen going forward.

I've already sent a message to customer service with images and video of the problem, but I'm concerned that my issue won't be addressed within the 5 day window one has to complain.

In short, I submitted a GSX1 with fast press and fast pass and received a 9.2 grade, however there has clearly been stress and damage done to the comic, which is not noted in the grading notes and assumed to have occured during encapsulation.

The book is noticeably off-center in the slab, rotated clockwise by about 5 degrees or so.

The book doesn't quite seem to fit inside the inner well and there's an obvious wave in the top of the book.

The top front corner is jammed up against the right top side of the inner well and about 1/8" of the corner tip is now bent all the way over onto itself. A major defect which was not in the book when submitted and now almost certainly leaving permanent damage. It must have occurred post grading because it's the most obvious defect on the book, and it's not mentioned in the notes.

1/8" on the bottom right corner is also noticeably bent by at least 45 degrees and there's some strange abrasion on the newsprint pages underneath as well as a chunk of newsprint stuck between the outer casing and the inner well/sleeve or the comic itself.

A very small, nearly invisible edge crease on the top front edge, which was noted in the grading, has now become a 1/8" edge divot! The piece bent in against the top edge of the book.

Grader notes indicate very minor bends in the book (which pressing most certainly should have eliminated) but nothing to indicate anything close to the severity of what I'm seeing.

I've sent a message to customer service about these issues, and I'm sure things will be satisfactorily resolved.

I'm curious what others have experienced in this sort of situation.

If the forums are not an appropriate place to discuss such a matter, I apologize in advance.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Following
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
First of all, WELCOME! Your all good, yes this is the place to discuss this.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things and following the rules in the "Terms & Conditions" set forth by CBCS...

9) CBCS will use reasonable care with respect to items submitted to it for Services. However, in the event CBCS determines an item was lost or damaged while in CBCS' possession, CBCS will compensate Customer based upon CBCS' good faith determination of the fair market value of the item, in light of what CBCS believes to be reliable current market information. The amount of the compensation will not necessarily be based upon, but in no event will exceed, Customer's stated insured value of the item set forth in this Submission Form.

10) Customer must inspect all items immediately upon receipt from CBCS. CBCS shall have no liability for any damage or errors unless reported to CBCS within five (5) days of Customer's receipt of the items.

clickable text

You may just have to wait for the response and see how things play out. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum who I'm sure will respond with more useful information. GOOD LUCK!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
do you have before pics and the video you sent them? It would be interesting to see what the before pics look like against the Slab. The top middle wave can happen due to pressing, ive seen that before on my books.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like a lot of damage (especially the corners) for a 9.2 grade..
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
Seems like a lot of damage (especially the corners) for a 9.2 grade..

Yes, there is a lot of chipping at that corner and some residue showing in one scan.
Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Top edge looks like a thumb crease as there is a small tear associated with the damage in the front cover in the same area of the book.

Looks like the inner well was sealed way too close to the edges of the book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
This is triggering...
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Someone's going to have to call Jake at State Farm and then get in line behind Cheryl's she shed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Cheryl's she shed.

My wife calls it a "B*tch Barn" LOL!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto My CBCS pressing experience has been awful too. Glad to see I'm not alone.
Post 11 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Cheryl's she shed.

LOL.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto Good informative post and please keeps us up-to-date with how this turns out...and of course welcome to the forum
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Forbush private msg quote post Address this user
I'm wondering if they even have my submission for pressing from 3 months ago. Nothing on the dashboard, no response to my emails.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@agamoto My CBCS pressing experience has been awful too. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Why are you glad about this?

If I had the misfortune concerning a grading/slabbing/pressing issue, I sure wouldn't be glad someone else suffered the same. But hey, that's just me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

If I had the misfortune concerning a grading/slabbing/pressing issue, I sure wouldn't be glad someone else suffered the same. But hey, that's just me.

I'm sure he was being facetious.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I'm sure he was being facetious.

Since he's @Pre_Coder, he might have been facetious before he read it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone... So far, no response. I'm wondering if I should call too.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
Thanks everyone... So far, no response. I'm wondering if I should call too.

Definitely worth a call

@Darryl_H
Post 19 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Cheryl's she shed.

We call those dog houses.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
That's some severe damage on a beautiful book.

Maybe it got damaged during shipment? Dropped on the corner causing shifting and that corner blunting. How did the return shipping box look once it arrived in your possession?

Also, I'm not sure the process at CBCS but im going to assume that the graders do not do the comic encapsulation and this is handled by another department. Maybe after the grader's were done, it was accidentally dropped during the slab process. Who knows for sure.

Good luck!
Post 21 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Watching. My guess is shipping damage.
CBCS, don’t leave this guy hanging.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The most logical and probable conclusion is shipping damage. The box was dropped on that corner.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The most logical and probable conclusion is shipping damage. The box was dropped on that corner.

Would it have gotten a 9.2, then?
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Would it have gotten a 9.2, then?

Damaged in return shipping to the owner, after grading.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto We got your email and customer service is going to get in touch with you. It does take us a day or two to get through emails and another just to get back to people. If this is our fault, we will surely take care of it. Hope that helps a bit.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't think the damage is from shipping. The FedEx overnight box it came in has sharper corners than the comic.

It's one of 15 books I had returned to me and the most valuable one of the bunch. The other books came back just fine, but to be honest I have not scrutinized them as much as I have this one because of its value and the glaringly obvious defects.

The book doesn't move inside the case, it's in there tight. So tight the top of the comic has a slight compression wave to it. Even if it was even a little bit loose, there's no way the corner and top edge divot could have been bent back upon themselves like this in any sort of impact.

As mentioned, the book is clearly askew inside the inner well, and the top right corner, the one folded over onto itself, is right up against the edge where they seal the case. The bottom front corner is not up against the edge with a little space to spare, yet that corner too is bent in, just not as severely as the top corner.

I did make a video of the problem when I took the photos which might make it easier for folks to visualize this.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Thank you for the reassurance, Steve! I'm easy like Sunday morning, so I'm sure we'll figure something out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I gave the other 14 books shipped back a good look over... They're fine. Will send Customer Service the video.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector cojo private msg quote post Address this user
I've been waiting for cbcs to correct issues since june,I wouldn't hold your breath! Worst customer service I've ever had to deal with.good luck with that
Post 30 IP   flag post
601448 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?