Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Complaints about specific books submitted, graded and returned.9992

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto We got your email and customer service is going to get in touch with you. It does take us a day or two to get through emails and another just to get back to people. If this is our fault, we will surely take care of it. Hope that helps a bit.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think the damage is from shipping. The FedEx overnight box it came in has sharper corners than the comic.

It's one of 15 books I had returned to me and the most valuable one of the bunch. The other books came back just fine, but to be honest I have not scrutinized them as much as I have this one because of its value and the glaringly obvious defects.

The book doesn't move inside the case, it's in there tight. So tight the top of the comic has a slight compression wave to it. Even if it was even a little bit loose, there's no way the corner and top edge divot could have been bent back upon themselves like this in any sort of impact.

As mentioned, the book is clearly askew inside the inner well, and the top right corner, the one folded over onto itself, is right up against the edge where they seal the case. The bottom front corner is not up against the edge with a little space to spare, yet that corner too is bent in, just not as severely as the top corner.

I did make a video of the problem when I took the photos which might make it easier for folks to visualize this.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Thank you for the reassurance, Steve! I'm easy like Sunday morning, so I'm sure we'll figure something out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I gave the other 14 books shipped back a good look over... They're fine. Will send Customer Service the video.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector cojo private msg quote post Address this user
I've been waiting for cbcs to correct issues since june,I wouldn't hold your breath! Worst customer service I've ever had to deal with.good luck with that
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto great video showing the comic and the damage.
Post 31 IP   flag post
A customer service agent has reached out to me and I'm sending the book back to them so they can try and figure out what happened and hopefully correct the problem, "if it's their fault". Not a lot of people left to point the finger at, but I totally understand the desire to get the slab in hand.

$73 for priority mail plus insurance! Not really fair that I should have to pay for that, but we will see how it all works out! Sure hope I'm not waiting for 2.5 months again.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
So much for handling this comic like butterfly wings. That's a real shame.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
A customer service agent has reached out to me and I'm sending the book back to them so they can try and figure out what happened and hopefully correct the problem, "if it's their fault". Not a lot of people left to point the finger at, but I totally understand the desire to get the slab in hand.

$73 for priority mail plus insurance! Not really fair that I should have to pay for that, but we will see how it all works out! Sure hope I'm not waiting for 2.5 months again.

Makes sense that they can't provide a return shipping label because they want the comic in hand to determine if they are in fact at fault for causing any damage during the time the comic was in their possession before agreeing to pay for anything. I hope it works out for you. You seem very professional and in control of your emotions. I'd be furious if I believed a $50 comic was damaged while in their possession, let alone a $4000 one.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I'd be furious if I believed a $50 comic was damaged while in their possession, let alone a $4000 one.

LOL, don't let my cool demeanor fool you. Deep down inside, my inner-hulk wants to smash.
Post 35 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@cojo Please contact me at: sborock@cbcscomics.com and I will look into this.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Update!

USPS is holding onto the 9.2 GS X-men 1.

Tracking history says they attempted delivery @ 4PM yesterday, but they couldn't get access to CBCS. It says they'd try again today, but I have yet to get an update from either USPS or CBCS on any successful delivery.

I reached out to Kendra, thought I might have sent it to the incorrect address. Address is correct, but Kendra says the receiving team who takes in mail there starts early in the morning, so they also leave earlier in the afternoon.

That's cool, but USPS attempted delivery at 4PM, If the receiving team goes home early, then what happens when they attempt delivery at the same time today, or tomorrow?

Certainly some sort of human being must be around to sign for a package during what should be normal business hours. It's now been 24 hours since first delivery attempt. I'm struggling to find the words to describe the level of anxious trepidation I feel not knowing where that book is and how long it's going to be fumbling around in the back of some USPS carrier's mail truck because no one's around to answer the door at 4PM.

My mind races thinking about every additional instance of the book in its box being tossed about, in and out of the truck, in and out of bins back at the post office, shuffled about, grabbed, poked, prodded, dropped and dropped on, squeezed, stacked on...

Yes, it's well protected. It's bubble wrapped, it's edges surrounded with pool noodles inside a 1092 priority box which is then inside a 1095. Yes, it's fully insured, but all that does little to make me feel any better. I've only got one of those books.

I'm doing my best to remain patient and calm. Hope to hear better news tomorrow, I guess.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo
I've been waiting for cbcs to correct issues since june,I wouldn't hold your breath! Worst customer service I've ever had to deal with.good luck with that

I've been waiting since March.

@agamoto Yikes! Sounds like a headache. What does "no access" even mean? Front doors locked? Weird. Hang in there.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck with your book. I too would be worried if I were in same situation. That's ridiculous that their receiving team leaves before their last delivery of the day. If it's a team of more than one person why couldn't they stagger their shifts to ensure they don't miss a delivery?
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'd call USPS tomorrow morning. It seems that they should be well aware of what CBCS's receiving hours are since they deliver thousands of packages to them per year. I'm surprised that this could even occur, maybe it's a new driver.
Post 40 IP   flag post
It's USPS, and they work in mysterious ways, so who knows!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto better than you get a message saying - "delivered - left on front porch"
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like a later then usual delivery, and after our business hours. So due to this we couldn’t accept it.

we got it today and will be calling you shortly with a update.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the issues....
Post 43 IP   flag post
Whew! That's good news, Darryl.

Just received the call from Kendra which worked out great because I needed to wake up and get out of bed anyway.

According to Kendra, the book/slab has been examined by Steve Borock, and the official explanation is that the book must have shifted somehow during shipping.

I don't agree with that assessment and neither do the laws of physics given the characteristics of the damage and the books immutable position within the slab. The other 14 books that shipped alongside it also beg to differ with this theory, considering the overnight fed-ex box displays zero signs of trauma and the slab in question was wrapped up tight like a papoose alongside them, all 14 of which were received well-centered and fully intact.

Here's video of the box to show that it suffered no significant trauma of any sort. Also, a video inspection of the other 14 slabs which were bundled up tightly wrapped alongside the GSX1.

So, the resolution offered is to crack, repress and regrade at no charge and that's totally fine, but not without some questions I needed Kendra to answer first:

1) How long this might take considering their pressing service is in Florida?

2) Will I be compensated for the cost of the return shipping as well as the cost to have the book sent back to me?

3) What happens if/when the book does not grade out at 9.2 when regraded? What if the damage is permanent?

Her answers:

1) Uncertain, and she needs to talk to some others about expediting, but she's guessing 3 weeks.

2) I will be compensated for the cost of the shipping, and the book will be returned to me at their expense.

3) She says that Steve thinks it should grade at 9.2 again, but Kendra stopped short of any sort of guarantee and she'll need to consult on it further and get back to me.

If the damage done to the book is indeed permanent, and I don't see how on God's green Earth it won't be, we're now talking about a book which will be lucky to accurately grade at 8.0. A book that should have returned $3500 to $4000 at current market value at its initial assigned grade will now return something in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2000. 100% speculation on my part, but it's a prospect I find more than a little unsettling considering I'll probably be losing money on the book if that happens.

It's a bridge we've yet to cross, so I won't get too excited yet. I can't say I'm not concerned about outcomes here given the direction official fingers are being pointed towards in explanation of what happened.

I'm very curious to hear what others customers would do in this situation. Some of you might want to just keep the book and sell it off with its current grade and let it be someone's problem downstream. I just can't do that in good conscience.
Post 44 IP   flag post
An update... So far, so good.

Heard back from Kendra in Customer Support today. I definitely appreciate the attention paid to this matter.

The explanation of what happened to the book is still a little hazy, but the picture appears to be coming closer into focus. If I'm to understand her correctly, she said the book may have unknowingly shifted during the encapsulation process itself with the waves in the book and the bends at the corners caused from an encapsulation that was too tight for that square bound book.

One of their people is flying to Clearwater today, where their pressing division is, and apparently my book will be accompanying him. The plan is to crack, re-press, and then return to Dallas for re-grade in what they hope will be a much shortened TAT of a week or two.

While there's still no guarantee that the book will come back 9.2, Kendra assures me that in the event it doesn't make that grade, they'll find a way to make good.

Kendra's done well to leave me with a very reassuring feeling. Fingers are crossed!
Post 45 IP   flag post
Good to hear. Make sure they return that shipping payment and obviously pay you the difference in market value if it comes back as a lower grade or possibly purchase the comic from you at a 9.2 grade if you were planning on selling instead of having it for your personal collection.
Post 46 IP   flag post
They do that? Purchase from me? Damn! Hell, I'd probably take any difference in credit. I'm sitting on 200 silver/bronze spider-man books I'd like to get graded during the deal this month.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
They do that? Purchase from me? Damn! Hell, I'd probably take any difference in credit. I'm sitting on 200 silver/bronze spider-man books I'd like to get graded during the deal this month.

No idea if they'd purchase from you. It was just a suggestion.
Post 48 IP   flag post
598060 48 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?