Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Endless Circles...or how to waste hours of time!9966

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Something most people might have missed....the flat shape you see seving as a holder for that sphere, is a vertebrae from a Russian Mosaurus , as massive marine reptile...…..
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
ps, sorry to the forum if anyone finds the posting out of place for a comics forum. Sorry in advance to anyone it annoys...I can remove it if needed.

The only thing that should be removed is a person annoyed by this lol

These are cool! My dad used to polish rocks with a tumbler, but he never tried this.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
ps, sorry to the forum if anyone finds the posting out of place for a comics forum. Sorry in advance to anyone it annoys...I can remove it if needed.

If they don't like it, then they can suck it up, buttercup. They only have to click on it once. It's not like they should be concerned about the waste of time... all things considered. Sometimes it's nice to have a pleasant distraction for all things fandom. I think they're great.
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My very first post in the forum was a sort of off topic thing I do and a forum reg hammered me pretty hard for it as the first response I was given so I worry now if I share or post anything

Here?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Double post.
I hate when I hit quote instead of edit
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

If they don't like it, then they can suck it up, buttercup. They only have to click on it once. It's not like they should be concerned about the waste of time... all things considered. Sometimes it's nice to have a pleasant distraction for all things fandom. I think they're great.
Man I appreciate the kind words, thanks so much
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
My very first post in the forum was a sort of off topic thing I do and a forum reg hammered me pretty hard for it as the first response I was given so I worry now if I share or post anything

Here?
Yes sir, that was quite a while back though
Post 32 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here?
Yes sir, that was quite a while back though

I wouldn't worry about it, most people here are great (notice I said "most". but even the not so great people are not that bad they're (wait for it) misunderstood. I know that doesn't take the sting away but, post what interests you and I'm sure you will find kindred spirits.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Very cool collection. The color patterns are awesome.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Remember when Mythbusters polished lion poop? That sphere looked like glass.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Fossil coprolite is extremely hard, and tends to have gaps within it that over time infilled with quartz veins. The colors can be as grandiose as your mind can imagine and because the material is poop, it can have patterns and shapes within it that are extremely eye catching.

I sometimes find small pieces of bones and chewed bone within coprolite, associating as a carnivorous dinosaurs droppings. Even small claws, or swallowed teeth are possible.

Within other coprolites its quite common to find plant seeds, undigested leaves, tree bark, snails, and insect carpaces….Identifying the dropping as either herbivore or omnivore.

I sometimes wander into out of the way rock shops and have seen dealers attempt to sell reddish colored droppings as carnivorous and the greens as herbivores, but that is rubbish. The material fossilizes using whatever minerals are present in the groundwater that saturates it....
I recently purchased a few slices that were greens, and had infilled with clear quartz...on examination within those greens you can clearly see leaves and seeds making it an exemption to the rule.

Pretty crappy topic for discussion though...sorry
Post 36 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town - Magnificent! Have you tried making a sphere out of fossilized (petrified) wood? I bet that could look pretty awesome to.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a way to marry comics to the topic of this thread. I kept thinking of it looking at the gorgeous coprolite samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjyMPwhSVe8
Post 38 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Endless Circles...or how to waste hours of time!

Every time I see this thread I think it's going to be the one about Hulk 180 and first appearances vs. cameos.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Fossil coprolite is extremely hard, and tends to have gaps within it that over time infilled with quartz veins. The colors can be as grandiose as your mind can imagine and because the material is poop, it can have patterns and shapes within it that are extremely eye catching.

I sometimes find small pieces of bones and chewed bone within coprolite, associating as a carnivorous dinosaurs droppings. Even small claws, or swallowed teeth are possible.

Within other coprolites its quite common to find plant seeds, undigested leaves, tree bark, snails, and insect carpaces….Identifying the dropping as either herbivore or omnivore.

I sometimes wander into out of the way rock shops and have seen dealers attempt to sell reddish colored droppings as carnivorous and the greens as herbivores, but that is rubbish. The material fossilizes using whatever minerals are present in the groundwater that saturates it....
I recently purchased a few slices that were greens, and had infilled with clear quartz...on examination within those greens you can clearly see leaves and seeds making it an exemption to the rule.

Pretty crappy topic for discussion though...sorry

Plenty of POOPY comics out there that could use a good polishing.
Post 40 IP   flag post
A sphere is truly an endless circle but yes the term does aptly fit some of our exchanges here
Post 41 IP   flag post
Some non dinosaur members of the group

Chevron amethyst

Obiccular agate from India....

chrysocolla in quartz from Peru

graveyard point plume agate

rhodonite from colorado
Blue tiger or Hawk eye

Black jade!

Fossil Palm wood....

Arizona Redwood....
wide eye tiger jasper

lepidolite, this sphere is the size of a soccer ball
Mookite sisters from Australia...

Moss agate

Obbicular agate...

Oolite....

My first sphere...grandfather left this one sawed out as a preform in his rock garden and it was my learning piece...to this day I haven't quite identified the material

sea jasper

A nice chunk of wood Ed
Post 42 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Stunning!!!
Post 43 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town WOW!! sorry if you've stated this already but are these all the same size? Some look like the size of a softball, is that accurate?
Post 44 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo - Very nice! I have a nice chunk similar to that Redwood. My best guess on your first piece is a type of milky quartz with a band of feldspar.
Post 45 IP   flag post
The first one, I get different guesses with Quartz, with some amethyst perhaps or even fluorite, but the material isn't soft enough for fluorite.

As for the redwood...my father went to an auction and the man who was selling his estate had gathered up buckets of redwood from the forest in Arizona back in the 50's before it was prohibited. My dad bought about ten buckets of pieces for about 15 dollars a throw, and then as fathers do politely volunteered me to make spheres of as much as I could.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Darkseid_of_town WOW!! sorry if you've stated this already but are these all the same size? Some look like the size of a softball, is that accurate?

The ones I have made run the gamut from as small as 1 inch diameter to around eight inches....at eight inches it becomes burdensome to handle, work with, store and display however .
Most of the spheres I create run in the 1 and a half to three inch range ...its difficult to find larger pieces without cracks, faults, or issues and the larger you go the more likely that becomes. With dinosaur bones, cracks are often a given as you move up in size .Regardless if tiny or massive they all require a tedious amount of work and knowledge to carry off though
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Found this while going though old office boxes...forgot I had it. Dinosaur bone and Malachite/Azurite.
Love the sphere collection! Came across a beautiful sphere of crinoids the other day as well at a local antique shop.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
@Darkseid_of_town Found this while going though old office boxes...forgot I had it. Dinosaur bone and Malachite/Azurite.
Love the sphere collection! Came across a beautiful sphere of crinoids the other day as well at a local antique shop.
The pen is gorgeous! Its funny watching rock collectors and what they prefer...if it were something I made it would have one narrow stripe of malachite and the rest bone, rather than the reverse.....I own quite a few things, made from bone...buckles, rings, necklaces, bolos , its the only stone I really will wear. I even have a collection of knives with bone handles.

If that crinoid sphere was over 2 inches or priced under 30 dollars I hope you grabbed it.

I always see people set up at shows and so forth hawking tiny marbles and spheres of many different common stones for a fraction of the price of what a true sphere would cost....

If you ever see these and wonder if they are hand made or quality try rolling it around on a flat surface and see if it can roll normally or if it wobbles. The wobbling will warn you it isn't truly round …….in China and some other places tiny spheres are mass produced using marble mills...essentially similar to a pair of muffin pans one on top of the other, filled with rough pieces of stone, some abrasive and water. As the pans move back and forth the stone is churned around in its compartment forcing it to grind round or semi spherical. You can make dozens at a time this way, smaller and less....fault free than a single use machine like mine which tends to produce accurate, quality pieces but at a slower rate.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
The pen is gorgeous! Its funny watching rock collectors and what they prefer...if it were something I made it would have one narrow stripe of malachite and the rest bone, rather than the reverse.....I own quite a few things, made from bone...buckles, rings, necklaces, bolos , its the only stone I really will wear. I even have a collection of knives with bone handles.

If that crinoid sphere was over 2 inches or priced under 30 dollars I hope you grabbed it.

I always see people set up at shows and so forth hawking tiny marbles and spheres of many different common stones for a fraction of the price of what a true sphere would cost....

If you ever see these and wonder if they are hand made or quality try rolling it around on a flat surface and see if it can roll normally or if it wobbles. The wobbling will warn you it isn't truly round …….in China and some other places tiny spheres are mass produced using marble mills...essentially similar to a pair of muffin pans one on top of the other, filled with rough pieces of stone, some abrasive and water. As the pans move back and forth the stone is churned around in its compartment forcing it to grind round or semi spherical. You can make dozens at a time this way, smaller and less....fault free than a single use machine like mine which tends to produce accurate, quality pieces but at a slower rate.

Thanks! Picked it up years ago when I was in Bar Harbor, Maine. Azurite/Malachite are my favorite, so I love the combo. But a full on Dino bone one would be amazing and may be my next target, as well as a meteorite one with the Widmenstatten Pattern (worked on meteorites for my degree).

It was probably on the order of 5-6 inches for $40, but whoever had made it made a slightly flattened edge for resting the sphere on a flat surface. Not sure if that is still worth it? It was quite beautiful; I'll grab a picture next time I am back there, should it still be for sale. Good to know as well with respect to the quality test. Most of the samples I have are in the raw, just my personal preference; I do have a large quartered piece of speleothem that would probably make a beautiful sphere, but I do love the cross section showing the growth including the oxidized outer crust.
Post 50 IP   flag post
My grandfather used to buy spheres people had ground flat spots on for paper weights...when he had his estate sale I bought them and began regrinding them to remove the flat and make a true sphere...

he had a gorgeous pink rhodonite sphere from Madagascar like that, had a flat spot the size of a half dollar on one side...and a lousy polish job with some cracks in the surface that were chipped out.
I ground it down, removed the flat spot, sealed the cracks and polished it to look like a show winner...

If the crinoid piece has colors to it, its probably worth 40 dollars just for the rough material alone, nevermind its potential as a sphere.

I always run into the Kansas meteorite society at our shows, their guy is always trying to trade me a meteorite or two for a bone sphere, but the main issue I run into is not knowing a thing about the meteorites...except the ones with olivine? sp? seem to draw my eye everytime
Post 51 IP   flag post
Currently working on a project for the family...the grandfather on my mothers side, was buried with a simple marble slab to mark his grave because his widow refused to allow a nice headstone. Once she passed, the kids all bought him a suitable marker, and my mother took ownership of the marble stone used prior...since it is a good eighteen inches, and around an inch and a half thick its a decent size and condition.
The kids, meaning my mother and her brothers and sisters had been arguing who should get the slab. I proposed sawing enough off one end to make six spheres, one for each, and still leaving the inscripted end of the material intact. Its taking hours of work to finish the pieces, of ordinary marble no less, but it should prove a satisfactory arrangement for all. (except me)
Since there are five kids and six spheres, I am keeping one for myself, which I have told them all be offered to the person who presents me with the highest cost receipt for a donation to a non kill animal shelter....from the family or heirs involved. That should be my satisfaction at least.
Post 52 IP   flag post
601537 52 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?