Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Avengers #47 or #48 which key is best9955

Collector Jakejewls private msg quote post Address this user
Which key is the one to own? Or is it going to turn out like the Carol danvers situation?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jakejewls - No idea how this will end, but aren’t they pretty much even right now? I might have to take another look at my copies and throw them in with my next submittal.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Saw a lower mid grade copy of 47 sell for over a hundred dollars at MCS auction the other night...I would say for now its a toss up...
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
It originally was 48, then the original black knight was announced so the 47 is the one to get ..... as of now. Be on the safe side and get them both
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
the sold prices for both of these seem absurd

buy a mid-grade ec
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
48 shows him on the cover...that could be a reason to choose 48.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
overstreet states 48 is the origin/1st appearance of the new black knight, so I would go with that
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
both are good ones but believe 48 is the one
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I have 3 nice 48's from quite some time ago. So I'm jaded.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
1st appearance of the Hero always seems to be the one.

These always turn into 'appreciation threads', so I'll start.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

picked these up a couple of weeks ago, paid less than 140 for the set
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Siggy much appreciated, nice books
Post 12 IP   flag post
https://gocollect.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2323c568dae5639b96ece7c3b&id=69650ede34&e=97162b452dthis article is from go collect
Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I knew something was bugging me about this....if Avengers 47 or 48 is the first appearance of the Black Knight what's this book then? This book pre-dates the Avengers books by 3 years.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I knew something was bugging me about this....if Avengers 47 or 48 is the first appearance of the Black Knight what's this book then? This book pre-dates the Avengers books by 3 years.

The Nathan Garrett version of the Black Knight is a villain. He is a relative of Dane Whitman. He may have died after a battle with Iron Man.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The Nathan Garrett version of the Black Knight is a villain. He is a relative of Dane Whitman. He may have died after a battle with Iron Man.

lol!! Different character then..oops...sorry...thanks for explaining.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@GAC the article I posted above explains it all
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@GAC the article I posted above explains it all

Yes indeed, I just read it, thank you.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Jakejewls private msg quote post Address this user
But then if this logic is correct than the marvel super heroes #13 first appearance of Carol Danvers is not the book to get and Ms. Marvel #1 is lol in other words my point is there is no consistency in collecting. I personally have avengers #47 I will be getting #48 as well.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I like this one

Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my ticket to the Black Knight club. Oops wrong thread 😜🤪

But seriously which book ends up as a more desirable key will be decided by collectors wallets. That's how it is always decided. And there is no set standards.
Hulk 180 1st cameo 181 first full appearance and collectors years ago went for hulk 181
The Jimmy Olsen with first Darkseids cameo is the key for that character where as forever people 1 first appearance is a secondary key for that villain. Collectors decided many years ago before grading companies which book was more desirable.
So at this stage with the Black Knight ur could end up 47 or 48. End of the day the collectors will eventually decide.
Personally 48 for me as he is on the front cover. What the majority of collectors decide in the end we all just have to wait and see.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here are my copies. I just re-read them and the "new" Black Knight (he's actually BK3!) does not appear in costume in #47; you do see the "original" villainous Black Knight (actually BK2) in a flashback. In #48 Dane Whitman finally dons a revised version of his dead uncle's costume. So for me, since the Black Knight doesn't appear in costume in #47, #48 should be the one to get. Kind of like Eddie Brock, what's worth more - Web Of Spider-Man #18 or ASM #300?

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector hockeymonkey605 private msg quote post Address this user

48 was always worth more prior to the news. Seems to still be true. A 9.4 of 48 sold for more than 9.6 of 47 just a few days ago. They ended around the same time.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Jakejewls although I love the colors on 47, 48 is the more key book IMO.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I am not aware of any time where the market flip flopped on a book where there's 2 potential books of value (i.e. Hulk 180 & 181, ASM 299 &300, JO 134 and Forever People 1 etc.). Once the market decides it doesn't change. Is anyone aware of a book where this has happened?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I am not aware of any time where the market flip flopped on a book where there's 2 potential books of value (i.e. Hulk 180 & 181, ASM 299 &300, JO 134 and Forever People 1 etc.). Once the market decides it doesn't change. Is anyone aware of a book where this has happened?

Easy peasy mate.
Two classic examples well probably not exactly the examples that fit your question.
Af 15 and Spidey 1 for years were worth the same.
GS x-men 1 and X-Men 94 for years were worth the same. GS has exploded in the lower grades.
And we all know of AF 15.
Other then those examples I don't recall where one book was worth more then another then they flipped in cost.
Post 27 IP   flag post
600882 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?