Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Mail Call! First books (both CBCS & CGC)994

Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
In one of those rare chances I happened to get my first submission from both CBCS and CGC within one day of each other! DISCLAIMER: Not trying to start any wars as in all fairness I hadn't even heard of CBCS when I sent in first batch of books to CGC. One note, no books were pressed, all went straight from my short boxes to either CBCS or CGC with no pressing.

Just wanted to show off and also get some opinions on defects so I can be a better judge of defects and what causes books to get certain grades.

Apologies in advance for my horrible photos, I only have an iphone to work with.

First CBCS....

Scooby Apocalypse #1 - 9.8
Future Quest #1 - 9.8

Couldn't help myself with these two as I grew up watching these shows and wanted to get these slabbed. Jonny Quest is mispelled on the label lol does that make it worth more?
Both came back what I was secretly hoping for and what I guessed.

Justice League International #1 - 9.4
a bit disappointed in this grade as I was hoping for at least a 9.6 as I looked it over and didn't really see the two issues that were noted. Still not too upset and happy to have this slabbed as i'm a huge Booster Gold fan.

Uncanny X-Men #394 - 9.6
Honestly thrilled with this grade, this was my first ever Marvel book and first X-Man book and I had it for years just sitting around in just a bag and no board. Love this cover and being my first X-Men book as a lot of personal value to me. I was guessing in the mid 8.0s

Batman #13 - 9.2
Hard to tell from this photo but was graded this way from the notes mainly due to spine marks that break color. I'll have a more specific example but honestly surprised it didn't get lower. I count three marks all in the same area.

More to come...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Part 2 of CBCS order...

Nightwing #0 - 9.4
According to the notes it got this grade due to a small spine stress that beaks color (which I have yet to see myself) so question for the board, from what I am seeing is a basic rule that each spine stress equal -.2 grade? or is it more subjective
(As for the book, my first ever Nightwing book and made him one of my favs so had to send it in)

DC Universe Rebirth #1 - 9.8
Basically what I expected for a grade. However if anyone else has had this book graded, mine looks a little bit "bent" or squished in the holder. I know the 80 page is near the limit of what CBCS can do and i'll try and show some examples which are hard to see with my camera but there is what looks like some waves on the back from around Supergirls arm to Aquaman's chest.

the last one kinda shows it the best as I used the light to kind of "reflect" off of the wave. Anything I should be concerned about?

Next stop... across the street...
Post 2 IP   flag post
PLEASE NO FLAMES
Just showing off my collection and trying to get some help about grades...

Starting with the Good
Amazing Spider-Man#1 - 9.8

This book has 0 count em ZERO Newton rings. Not a single one, no matter which way I turn it under the light or away from light I don't see a single oil slick on this beautiful book. I actually had it a slight bit lower due to the small nick on the bottom cover. Would you all consider that nick to make it less than a 9.8? That is all that is on the graders notes.

Life with Archie #36 - 9.6
Veronica #202 - 9.2

Oh hello Mr. Newton I wondered where you were hiding... grrr....

Onto my Veronica

I actually had this one coming back in the mid to lower 8.0s due to spine and cover damage so I was really happy. Thoughts? 9.2 CGC being very generous or what would you grade with those spine stress?

Detective Comics #1 - 9.6
Justice League #1 - 9.8

I actually had the grades switched due to the Detective Comics not having any visible defects to my eye at least and the top corner of the JL having a small nick. Again trying to learn how grades are actually arrived at.
Top of JL #1

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Schoultzdan private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books. No wars here
Post 4 IP   flag post
Skipping over the bad and going straight to the Ugly aka the Exxon Valdez oil spill.... sigh...

First off I know the following two books are not worth more than cover but were my first two Green Lanterns ever and started my love affair with the Superhero from Oa

Green Lantern #154 - 9.0

This book has a TON of sentimental value to me and that alone makes me probably never want to ever sell it. Some oil slicks on the back but the main thing that concerns me is that it dosen't seem to be "sitting" correctly in the inner well and it seems slightly out of line. I am considering cracking it open to free it and then sending to CBCS as I would hate for anything to damage it.

And Mr. Newton would be ever so proud of my nice and oily copy of Millennium Edition Showcase #22
Again was a gift from a family member who knew I was loving reading Green Lantern so holds a lot of value to me personally.

This one also seems to be "off-center" and not sitting properly in the case and just a hot oily mess.

Again with these two books I could care less if they came back .5 just want them protected. I'm debating sending them back to CGC to fix the oil or cut my losses and take them out and send them to CBCS. Just don't want them to get damaged from the holders.

And thats all she wrote for now!
Post 5 IP   flag post
597931 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?