Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

MyComicShop Auction -Daredevil (Miller) and Venom (Cates) And Dell'Otto SS!9930

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, all. I got so caught up in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle auction (check out that thread for the FREE CONTEST), that I forgot to post my other auctions going on. As some of you recall, I've been working on my Frank Miller Daredevil run. All 9.8's with white pages is what I'm going for. And I'm over halfway there!

But along the way there are some misses, too. These are them! Lot's of 9.6's!

There's also 1-4 of the Cates Venom run (all 9.8's) with a VERY cool cover for #2. A variant for Guardians of the Galaxy #1. And a Silver Age Wonder Woman mid-grade.

AND! Action Comics 1000 Sketch Variant by Gabrielle Dell'Otto! Signed!

How cool is that?

Here are the pics:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Had you given much thought to trying to sell these here first, and then if they did not move perhaps MCS them on out? I would think anything you could sell without fees would just be more in your pocket...in any event I will be watching the wonder woman ...I have a few raw but nothing slabbed
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
that's a lot of cgc slabs on the cbcs forums

Have you tried to sell them on cgc
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Why isn't CGC indicating 1st appearance Knull on that Venom 3?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop

Because Thor: God of Thunder #6 is Knull's first appearance.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:

Because Thor: God of Thunder #6 is Knull's first appearance.

No that's a cameo.
There are multiple TGoT#6 by cgc without mention of knulls cameo/first appearance.

However Venom 3 has been accepted by most collectors as the first full appearance of Knull
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
This helps:
Click or Touch here for the Knull thread.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
This helps:
Click or Touch here for the Knull thread.
collectors want first full appearance.

See hulk 180.

Even comictom101 gives first full to venom 3
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks GanaSoth for the research. Either way it looks like spending an extra 5 bucks to get a fancy Spider-man label leaves a void for important information...like Knull's 1st Full Appearance (Venom 3). Nuff said..
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Had you given much thought to trying to sell these here first, and then if they did not move perhaps MCS them on out? I would think anything you could sell without fees would just be more in your pocket...in any event I will be watching the wonder woman ...I have a few raw but nothing slabbed

I should! But these ones were already at MCS. I just switched them from fixed-price to auction.

I THINK MCS will allow one to sell outside of their site. That is, they will mail it to someone for a small S&H fee if you sell it elsewhere. But I haven't tested that yet. We could test it now?

If you like silver age Wonder Woman, I have another on sale there. A very nice copy of #116, graded at 7.0. I also have a BEAUTIFUL 9.6 Bronze Age, #209. Both pictured below.

I've just checked GPA on them (thanks for that) and they are $145 and $248, respectively, both arrow up. But they are VERY lightly traded. #209's last sale was April 2018, and the only sale that year for 9.6. The #116 has only four sales listed at 7.0: 2018(2), 2017, and 2006. The #209 is priced at $249.99, but the #116 just arrived there, and so is priced too high ($179.95). (I always start too high, just in case.)

So, if you - or anyone else, for that matter - would like these at, say, 10% off GPA, I'd be happy to do that. I'll cover the shipping in the US, and you cover PayPal fees, if any. And we'll see how easy MCS is to work with for off-site sales. (It could start a whole new trend!)

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
that's a lot of cgc slabs on the cbcs forums

Have you tried to sell them on cgc

I usually cross-post, but haven't yet. The CBCS forum is better. CGC has WAY more content, but I just like it here. Better people, easier navigation, better looking website, more interesting conversations.

And both grading companies do fine with grading: both are high-quality. In my opinion, CBCS is slightly more consistent, which is important. But I prefer the CGC labels, by a lot. Not just the design, which (again, in my opinion) looks great, but the CBCS labels tend to be a bit wavy. Feels slightly cheap. Which is a shame. Once they fix their labels, I'll be back here for grading, too. I LOVED the labels they had before the infamous rivets. Those were the first ones I bought, from either grading company. But they switched them, unannounced, while my books were being graded, and I never got them. Left a poor taste, when they did that. When one spends close to $1000 on a new product, one expects to get what they paid for, I think.

But the people here are great! And CBCS is a great company. I'm pulling for them, definitely.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks GanaSoth for the research. Either way it looks like spending an extra 5 bucks to get a fancy Spider-man label leaves a void for important information...like Knull's 1st Full Appearance (Venom 3). Nuff said..

I'm not sure if that's why they left it off. Sometimes CGC is inconsistent early on, until the "collective" has decided an issue like that. (And sometimes the story turns out to be .... complicated. With surprise twists and such. For example, they still aren't marking Heroes In Crisis #1 as the death of Roy Harper. Who knows if he will stay dead!)

And those labels are surprisingly popular! I've sold two books recently where other options - without the custom label - were cheaper, by $10 or $15. It surprised me, too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It does. Now.

Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I LOVED the labels they had before the infamous rivets. Those were the first ones I bought, from either grading company. But they switched them, unannounced, while my books were being graded, and I never got them. Left a poor taste, when they did that. When one spends close to $1000 on a new product, one expects to get what they paid for, I think.

Yep. That happened to me too. I have a lot of red and blue rivet labels out of nowhere.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Well ... I guess that explains why I don't try to sell here. Crickets. I would be happy to sell to other members of the CBCS forum, and even at a discount that is more than just the 10% saved from fees. But the market is just too thin. Also, I probably price many of my comics too high.

But who can tell? A lot of these are so lightly traded. For example, just a couple days ago I sold a BEAUTIFUL copy of a fantastic JLA cover, Justice League of America #30, at 8.0. A very respectable grade. GPA says it should be $154, based on the only sale in the last two years. But ironically, that was my sale. (Actually, $149.99, but MCS tacks on another 3% to cover credit card charges.) The newest Overstreet says it should be $131, and if you throw in another $19 for encapsulation, that's about right, too. So I guess that was a fair price? But it took a LONG time to sell.

I have another copy - which is decidedly NFS, because I love it - that is a 9.0. GPA says a 9.0 is ALSO worth about $150, which is absurd. Here, Overstreet is more likely correct, at $291. But it would take a long time to get that price, I bet.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Never saw a sales thread for here, only that they were staying on MCS and you wanted to experiment with the idea you could sell them off their site and they would ship or something.....but I am watching over there
Post 16 IP   flag post
At any rate, the auction is winding down tonight. My experience with MCS auctions is, they don't go up very much at the end; bidders generally don't snipe, and put their top bid in at a fairly leisurely pace.

For those interested, the Dell'Otto signed "Sketch edition" of Action Comics 1000 is just at $110.00. Which I think would be a GREAT price for that. Also, a few of the others are still in the $30's, and one (an 8.5) is just $22 right now. Venom Wanted Comix edition is sitting at $72.00. I recently sold a copy of that for $90, so not too far off. Venom #3 is currently $89, also just a little below retail. (Especially with the custom label.)

And the Wonder Woman #149 is a relative steal, I think, at $35.00. Great cover, from 1964. And a 9.8 Frank Miller Daredevil, #187, is just $56 right now.

Edited later: okay, somehow the text above didn't actually post when I wrote it. And now it's all dated, with most auctions over. Sorry about that! Now the only auctions left are the four Venom, and the Wonder Woman.

And here's something odd... Venom #3 is $93, which is about right for that issue in auction. But Venom #4 has somehow shot up to $115. Why on earth is Venom #4 now a $115 comic? Anyone know? Because I'll send another out for grading straight away, if that's the case.

Anyway, the WW #149 is still pretty affordable, at just $39. Good Luck!

And @Darkseid_of_town - the "sales thread" was just two Wonder Woman comics, listed above, that I thought you might be interested in. If you are, I can try and have MCS send them to you. That's all I meant.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Yeah I kinda meant actually selling them here in the forum, like a sales thread where we could just buy the things
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Yeah I kinda meant actually selling them here in the forum, like a sales thread where we could just buy the things

I'm not sure I'm following you ... is there a difference, between me selling you a comic and then shipping it to you, vs. me selling you a comic and then having MCS ship it to you?

I mean, a meaningful difference? I'm not seeing it. Maybe it wasn't clear before?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hi, all. I got so caught up in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle auction (check out that thread for the FREE CONTEST), that I forgot to post my other auctions going on. As some of you recall, I've been working on my Frank Miller Daredevil run. All 9.8's with white pages is what I'm going for. And I'm over halfway there!

That's one heck of an ambitious goal Good luck on your quest

Im still three issue's short of completing the Frank Miller Daredevil run. I was after 9.4 or better and I also wanted them raw so I had to crack some out of the slabs. One of my Pet Peeves is off center or miswrapped covers. I passed on some higher grade books (9.6, 9.8) because the covers were not straight. I Absolutely HATE them and will not buy them at all

Heres a few of my Favorites:

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

Im still three issue's short of completing the Frank Miller Daredevil run. I was after 9.4 or better and I also wanted them raw so I had to crack some out of the slabs. One of my Pet Peeves is off center or miswrapped covers. I passed on some higher grade books (9.6, 9.8) because the covers were not straight. I Absolutely HATE them and will not buy them at all

That's fantastic! I particularly love the cover to #178. Always one of my favorites.

Did you get any of the Daredevils on offer here? Which numbers are you still missing?

My quest started when I got a copy of #169 back from grading and it unexpectedly was a 9.8. I mean, I loved it, and it was a beautiful book. But you just don't expect such a high grade on a comic that old.

So I picked up a few more here and there, at good, bargain prices. And suddenly I was going for it!

Now, #168 is simply too valuable in 9.8. I'll never get one of those, and raws are particularly hard to come by in high grade .... those that have them have already slabbed them, I guess. But I did manage to pick up a 9.6, and I'm perfectly happy with that one, even though it technically falls outside what I'm going for.

Also, I'm not worried about the ones before #168. I'm only going for the ones he wrote as well as drew. Though I do have a beautiful copy of #161, also one of my favorite covers.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

That's fantastic! I particularly love the cover to #178. Always one of my favorites.

BTW, I just got notification of grades for a few comics coming back, including a copy of #178 ... it is 9.8 (!), but OW/W pages. So close.

Well, OW/W isn't bad at all. And I'm happy about the grade! There's also a #168 9.8 on sale at ComicConnect right now, auction ends tonight. It's a good price, for now, bidding at $850. (Miswrapped cover.) But still out of my price range for that issue. Anyway, for that book a 9.6 is perfect, too. And mine, the wrapping is much better.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid love the books!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
At any rate, the auction is winding down tonight. My experience with MCS auctions is, they don't go up very much at the end; bidders generally don't snipe, and put their top bid in at a fairly leisurely pace.

For those interested, the Dell'Otto signed "Sketch edition" of Action Comics 1000 is just at $110.00. Which I think would be a GREAT price for that. Also, a few of the others are still in the $30's, and one (an 8.5) is just $22 right now. Venom Wanted Comix edition is sitting at $72.00. I recently sold a copy of that for $90, so not too far off. Venom #3 is currently $89, also just a little below retail. (Especially with the custom label.)

And the Wonder Woman #149 is a relative steal, I think, at $35.00. Great cover, from 1964. And a 9.8 Frank Miller Daredevil, #187, is just $56 right now.

Edited later: okay, somehow the text above didn't actually post when I wrote it. And now it's all dated, with most auctions over. Sorry about that! Now the only auctions left are the four Venom, and the Wonder Woman.

And here's something odd... Venom #3 is $93, which is about right for that issue in auction. But Venom #4 has somehow shot up to $115. Why on earth is Venom #4 now a $115 comic? Anyone know? Because I'll send another out for grading straight away, if that's the case.

And @Darkseid_of_town - the "sales thread" was just two Wonder Woman comics, listed above, that I thought you might be interested in. If you are, I can try and have MCS send them to you. That's all I meant.

Not sure if I'm understanding if you already sold them or want to, but I'd love that Daredevil 187. Shoot me a PM if you still have it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:

Not sure if I'm understanding if you already sold them or want to, but I'd love that Daredevil 187. Shoot me a PM if you still have it.

Sorry for the confusion @Jabberwookie ... this was about a MyComicShop auction that already ended. And also two Wonder Woman comics books I offered to @Darkseid_of_town , as it seemed he might be interested in them.

FYI, there is a slightly better 9.8 (white pages) on sale now at MCS, for $79.00. It's not mine, so they would add 3% for the cc charge and extra for shipping. Not a bad price though!

And someone else on these boards might have one to sell, too. If so, have at it!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:

Sorry for the confusion @Jabberwookie ... this was about a MyComicShop auction that already ended. And also two Wonder Woman comics books I offered to @Darkseid_of_town , as it seemed he might be interested in them.

FYI, there is a slightly better 9.8 (white pages) on sale now at MCS, for $79.00. It's not mine, so they would add 3% for the cc charge and extra for shipping. Not a bad price though!

And someone else on these boards might have one to sell, too. If so, have at it!

No worries. It never hurts to ask!

Although, next time, gives us board creatures a chance. Those were nice books : )
Post 26 IP   flag post
601214 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?