Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Submissions - Need Help9909

Collector theo58 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm filling out the submission form. Do I have to select a number in the " Grade Screen " dropdown? And; if I'm not sure what the grade is what do I use for " Insured value "? So if I purchased the comic for say $ 100 and hope it will be a 9.0 worth $ 500, am I just insuring for what I paid? Which is the only number I know for sure.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I just wrote something that might be helpful.

Submitting to CBCS: A Newbie’s Guide.

Give it a read and let me know if you still have questions
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you for your link. I did read it and it was very helpful. Just have a few more questions. So if I send 2 comics for pressing I'll need 2 separate invoices for the pressing in case they decide to press one and not the other. And for the grading, both comics can go on the same invoice? All the invoices into the same box send to Pressing address?

If I don't want to estimate grade just put "none". It's an optional field?

Finally, I'm just grading 2 high priced comics. One page or pages appear a bit lose. Does CBCS recommend restoration? Do you feel Restoration helps or hurts the value? I'll grading a #1 X-men and #1 Daredevil.

I do appreciate your help and input.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
All pressing and grading services go on the same invoice. If you want to get two comics pressed you put them on one invoice and if they can’t press one for whatever reason it will be shipped back with the book they did press.

What do you mean “Estimate Grade?” Are you referring to Grade Screening? Grade Screening is an optional field but it’s important to understand its function. You’re not estimating the grade. Instead you are listing a threshold grade that you want the book to meet before going through the expense of grading.

For example, maybe you don’t want to pay for grading if the book is going to be a really low grade. Grade Screening is saying to CBCS, “only grade this book if it will get AT LEAST this grade.” You can say at least a 3.0. CBCS will look at the book and say “yes, this is at least a 3.0” then send it for full grading and the book might get a 7.5.

CBCS doesn’t make suggestions for conservation or restoration as far as I know. Restoration is a bit of a touchy subject and while it may improve the appearance of a book and get a higher grade (but with an annotation for the restoration) a restored book of Grade X will not command as much as an unrestored book of the same grade.

If the only major issue you’re concerned about are loose pages I would imagine that getting the book slabbed would mitigate further worsening of the problem.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Once again, Thank You for your time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
to save on shipping with pressing and non pressing books you could do a press screen. I think it takes about 4 books to reach the same as shipping for a separate order...so 5 books in press screen would be cheaper to just have the new order.
Worst case scenario with a press screen is that they determine that the book(s) could use a press and your get the extra charge and in the end a higher grade!
Post 6 IP   flag post
600769 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?