Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Help ID these characters9906

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Having a brain fart... who are these guys???

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
They look like they are from Little Orphan Annie.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Peterg725 private msg quote post Address this user
Lil Abner. And orphan annie mixed together
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster This is a combination of Marx comic figures - Junior Tracy, BO Plenty, Sparkle Plenty, Li’l Abner, Pappy Yokum, Salomey the pig, Little Orphan Annie, Sandy, etc. There is a total of 27 characters.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man You sound like you know something about these toys. Are they worth much? They are currently up for auction.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Following
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster German made...painted PVC figurines...15c each in the 1950s...

Probably worth like $50 if you have the 12 set with the original box. There is a guy on ebay selling the same set for $75, but nobody is buying.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Current bid is $20 and ends in 3 1/2 hours
Post 8 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man I'm not bidding on it, just curious. Thanks for the info.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the biggest problem is that someone has to want them. The generation that appreciates these characters are trying to get rid of stuff, not acquire more. There's somebody out there, but the demand is low.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I love nostalgic stuff. I say that as I'm watching American Pickers I just don't have the room for it or I'd get it. There will be a new generation wanting this stuff at some point. Like the old saying, "What's old becomes new again".
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I love nostalgic stuff. I say that as I'm watching American Pickers I just don't have the room for it or I'd get it. There will be a new generation wanting this stuff at some point. Like the old saying, "What's old becomes new again".

My oldest comic is a Little Orphan Annie comic, but that just tells you how old the character is.

From 1927...

Post 12 IP   flag post
These are my 2 oldest.

Book 4 - The Brownies Around The World (1894)

Bringing Up Father (Cuppies & Leon Company)#17 1930

Post 13 IP   flag post
I've read some Bringing up Father strips. I think it was at the DCM, but it may have been elsewhere.
Post 14 IP   flag post
After those I have a Big Little Book and More Fun from 1936.

Post 15 IP   flag post
I have this from 1928

Then mine jump up to Whiz #9 (1940) split all the way down the spine and going brittle. It only cost me $20.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Nice looking cover. I only have 2 Whiz Comics.

Post 17 IP   flag post
This was a free gift for hooking a friend up with a Golden Age collection to buy from another friend.

This was a free gift for helping the friend find a buyer.

Bought this in the early 80's. I know it's from 1942 with Hitler on the first page.

Picked this up in the 90's it had white pages. It's from 1945.

I have no real desire to collect Golden age. They are mainly just novelties to me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Nice friend!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Nice friend!

One friend made about $9,000 off the deal. The other probably made more by the time he sold everything. I didn't ask for anything. I think they just REALLY appreciated me arranging the deal. The Superman book was a duplicate in the collection. He slipped it out thinking it wouldn't make the deal fall through. I wanted to kick the friend that sold the collection. He should have cherry picked the Sensation #1 out of it and kept that. My other friend would have bought the collection with or without it. The coolest books in the collection were the Sensation #1 and a later Captain America issue that retold his origin. I think it was a #59, but I'm too lazy to check. The condition of the books varied widely. Most were in decent condition, but there was a box that had some in pieces.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Nice friend!

One friend made about $9,000 off the deal. The other probably made more by the time he sold everything. I didn't ask for anything. I think they just REALLY appreciated me arranging the deal. The Superman book was a duplicate in the collection. He slipped it out thinking it wouldn't make the deal fall through. I wanted to kick the friend that sold the collection. He should have cherry picked the Sensation #1 out of it and kept that. My other friend would have bought the collection with or without it. The coolest books in the collection were the Sensation #1 and a later Captain America issue that retold his origin. I think it was a #59, but I'm too lazy to check. The condition of the books varied widely. Most were in decent condition, but there was a box that had some in pieces.

I'm still waiting for a situation where I come across a gold mine like that. One could only hope
Post 21 IP   flag post
601467 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?