Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Submitting to CBCS: A Newbie's Guide9896

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely feel that the first big company to establish overseas operations, whether in Asia or Europe, will get a huge leg up on the competition.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I definitely feel that the first big company to establish overseas operations, whether in Asia or Europe, will get a huge leg up on the competition.

Definitely. The conglomerates saw that from Day one. Disney, Universal, etc -- they been investing heavily in Asia. Back in the day only Japan mostly and some in Hong Kong, but now also Singapore and with heavy emphasis - China.

The Philippines, where I'm in right now, has a very strong American comic book market. Very strong. People grew up here watching and reading everything American. So American books are like a natural pastime thing. It's not 'foreign' or 'strange' to the people here. There is no need for story adjustments and there's no need for language translation. Of course when you got the books, the next thing is to have it graded. So...

Post 27 IP   flag post
Loving this ultra clean Beckett slab!

I know to get this is through Beckett, obviously, Thats the most straight forward way.
But since Beckett is the umbrella company of CBCS, is there a way to get this kind of slab through a CBCS facilitator? Because I have yet to meet a Beckett facilitator in my country.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I know in the past CBCS has accepted a Beckett Verification for their own red label so I would hope it flows the other way too and a CBCS AW could witness for Beckett.

I would call/email Beckett and ask. It may end up being as simple as the AW writing their authorization code on the Beckett invoice
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
I know in the past CBCS has accepted a Beckett Verification for their own red label so I would hope it flows the other way too and a CBCS AW could witness for Beckett.

I would call/email Beckett and ask. It may end up being as simple as the AW writing their authorization code on the Beckett invoice

Post 30 IP   flag post

More questions.

If a fan made a fan art and have it signed by the creator would CBCS encapsulate it with the ART label? Or what label does that fall under? Art not done by the creator but has the creator's signature.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Red_Blade Remember, books aren’t automatically sorted into specific labels. Books are labelled according to what the customer decides on the order form, within a few restrictions.

That book you describe could go in a blue label with a hit to the grade for the sketch and the signature. It could go in a yellow label if the proper steps are taken for the signature and the sketch. It can go in a red label if the signature is verified after the fact. Any of the above can be graded or ART and as long as the proper steps are followed and reported honestly, none of the above options will specifically say that the creator did the sketch the fan did.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of say sketch on a backing board or a piece of paper. Doesn't CBCS encapsulate those types of things? If so that'd automatically fall under ART, right?

So as I understand CBCS would verify the creator's sig and encapsulate regardless of whether he did the sketch or not?

Also, not all artists are sketch artists. Especially in today's digital times. Suppose an artist is known for his 'Photoshop' work on magazine covers. Could he Photoshop something, print it out, sign it and have it encapsulated by CBCS? Could that still get say the Art label? Cos technically its also art, right?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
There are certainly non-comic book examples, like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Steranko-Nick-Fury-Head-Sketch-Art-CBCS-Authentic-Art-and-Signature-Marvel-/232645831283 (just one that came up in google results). I don't think their description is accurate in terms of CBCS verifying the sketch; they just verify the signature. I imagine some other print like you describe would work too as long as it fits in the holder.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Red_Blade

@xkonk is correct. They will slab non-book items like sheets of paper or backing boards. I can’t see why they couldn’t slab something pre-printed (that’s basically what comics are). I’d imagine the label would only indicate the signature and omit the “sketch on board” part
Post 35 IP   flag post
Thanks y'all!
Post 36 IP   flag post
I've spoken to a few people who had their books signed by a LCS owner because the books were 'store exclusive variants' at his store - they wanted it to be more memorable and so had the store owner sign them. When they submitted them to CBCS (at least according to their story) they came back with the signatures counting against the grades. It's understandable as CBCS wouldn't know everyone.

But is there a way to let CBCS know that "don't count X signature against the grade of a book" because "X person was involved to a certain degree in bringing the book to collectors?"
Post 37 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Red_Blade Well, unless you have someone who is famous as a lcs owner, the verified option is out.

One thing you can try to do is get someone there who can become a facilitator and maybe he could witness the signings and submit them to CBCS for the yellow label.

Another option would be for the lcs to have a store event and the people who want the owners signature would have to apply to be authorized witnesses for that event. Then they can witness him signing their own books and get them in a yellow label.

I believe there is a third option, where the owner would have to fill out a form that would accompany the comic to CBCS stating that he signed it and what his involvement was. I don't know if he would then submit them or if the customers could submit them. I've only heard of this happening and have never done it myself.

All these are possible options for the future. The ones that are already graded are not eligible for any of these options as the chain of custody is not there.

My suggestion is to do the last one, but you need to contact CBCS about the technical way that is to be done.

One thing to consider is to see if you can convince a lcs owner to become a CBCS facilitator. It may well be worth his time and effort. If I understand correctly, he can have employees witness signings also, he does not need to be physically there each time. Plus, he could add the option of grading at any signings that his store may do. In fact, you do not need to have a brick and mortar store to be a facilitator, but there are submission guidelines that need to be met. Again, CBCS would be who you'd need to contact about that. But if you let them know you want to set up a facilitator in the Philippines, they may work with you.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Awesome! Very informative and helpful!

Think I might go with either option 1 or 3 if I get a book signed by an LCS owner. Will also drop CBCS an e-mail for the technicalities as you suggested. Thanks!
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Red_Blade Basically everything @Jesse_O said!

Additionally, I think it’s worth breaking down what is happening in the story you conveyed.

Basically, the LCS owner’s signature was an unwitnessed signature since there wasn’t an AW present. Unwitnessed signatures count against the grade unless they are verified and verification is unlikely for some random store owner’s signature.

As I understand it, a person doesn’t actually have to be involved with a book to be listed on a yellow label (or if they do then it can be VERY tenuous), the signing just has to be witnessed by an Authorized Witnessed.

What you described, “don’t count so-and-so against the grade,” is very reminiscent of CGC’s Qualified (green) label. Before CBCS’ red label was an option collectors basically had to take the hit on a blue label or go for a green label, which ignores a major flaw on the book, in this case the unwitnessed signature.

The problem with the green label is that the label just says “name written on cover,” which is hardly satisfying for a signature collector, nor does it differentiate between a genuine but unwitnessed signature, a forged signature, or random writing on the cover. Additionally, since green labels ignore a major flaw on a book they are also used on books with missing pages or other serious damage but still get high grades so there is real uncertainty as to what the actual grade would be if all those flaws were taken into account.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:

As I understand it, a person doesn’t actually have to be involved with a book to be listed on a yellow label (or if they do then it can be VERY tenuous), the signing just has to be witnessed by an Authorized Witnessed.

Very interesting...

Quote:

What you described, “don’t count so-and-so against the grade,” is very reminiscent of CGC’s Qualified (green) label. Before CBCS’ red label was an option collectors’ basically had to take the hit on a blue label or go for a green label, which ignores a major flaw on the book, in this case the unwitnessed signature.

The problem with the green label is that the label just says “name written on cover,” which is hardly satisfying for a signature collector, nor does it differentiate between a genuine but unwitnessed signature, a forged signature, or random writing on the cover. Additionally, since green labels ignore a major flaw on a book they are also used on books with missing pages or other series damage but still get high grades so there is real uncertainty as to what the actual grade would be if all those flaws were taken into account.

I personally think the green label is a scam. Maybe not the exact word but I can't think of any other word to describe it right now. It's just them tapping into the "damaged books" and "missing pages" market by getting those owners to submit their books since they can now also get 9.8's (albeit under a different colored label).

Also the people who got their books signed by the LCS owner -- the ones I'm talking about in my OP -- they just didn't research enough and didn't know to have the LCS owner's signing witnessed.
From what I understand there were CBCS facilitators around when it happened -- it was a signing event with some artists. They had the books signed by the artists first (witnessed) THEN approached the LCS owner to get his signature as well, just before sending them in for grading.
So I think the books returned with yellow labels (because of the witnessed artist sigs) BUT the one signature CBCS couldn't identify (which was the LCS owner's) counted as damage. Or at least that's my assumption.
Post 41 IP   flag post
265896 41 16
destitute