Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

CBCS 101: A Newbie's Guide.9896

Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
Something that might have been addressed in another thread but should probably be here too... can you send books to get pressed but not graded? If not can you work around it by adding a grade screen for something higher than the quality of the book?
Post 76 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
No you cannot submit books for pressing but not grading. You certainly can try to get around it by screening the books but you will be charged a reject fee if too many books on your order fail to pass the screen
Post 77 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite that's what I thought; thanks for the confirmation. It's a shame because I have some books that I'd like to look good for sentimental reasons, but don't quite want to sink full grading money into them. Maybe I'll suck it up and raw grade them.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Hope its ok to ask in this question. I'm trying to explain to a family member the point of grading and slabbing comics and I recall there was a super helpful video that CBCS had on their website that was a step by step process of what happens when CBCS gets a comic, does anyone have a link to that or know where it can be found?
Post 79 IP   flag post
I’m afraid I am not familiar with the video you’re referring to. I don’t think any of the videos on their Youtube channel really match that description
Post 80 IP   flag post

CGC has put out a couple of videos (on youtube) of how they grade a book and how they look for restoration, but I'm not sure that's quite what you're looking for.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector jandreu private msg quote post Address this user
Once I’ve been billed for my order how long until it ships out?
Post 82 IP   flag post
@jandreu Getting billed is early in the process; normally shortly after the books are received. You still need to wait whatever the current turnaround time for the tiers in your order are. I think most tiers are about 10 weeks. If you add pressing I believe that’s an additional 13+ weeks on top of that
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Stormtrooper_Pete private msg quote post Address this user
Hi. I'm a newbie here and want to get some comics graded. Most of my stuff falls into the modern age (a few pre-1975 books. What I don't understand is the service to select and then the note about the value. Does that mean I have to think of the value I think the book would be worth? Example, I would send a Batman Adventures #12 that I think would be a high 90's rating - so would that mean it automatically goes into the 2-Day Modern service? But then I have an ASM #252 that would also be high 90's rating, so would that fall into the Quickstream service? I'm just having difficulty understanding that so I know the service options. Probably a dumb question, but thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out.
Post 84 IP   flag post
@Stormtrooper_Pete Yes, you need to think about the value, but (as far as CBCS is concerned) just for insurance purposes. If you only want to insure your Batman Adventures 12 for $200 then you can send it under the modern tier. But then if CBCS damages it or something, you're only going to get $200 back for it. CBCS can adjust the tier if they think you're way off from value though.

I would look at gocollect.com or sold eBay listings for the comics you plan on sending in. As best I can tell, a high-grade Spidey 252 can still be sent modern or maybe 2-Day modern if it's really nice but your Batman Adventures 12 is going to need to go 2-Day Modern.

Since we're talking about tiers, keep in mind that CBCS processes an entire order at the speed of the slowest tier. If you send the modern and 2-Day moderns on the same order, the 2-Day will sit and wait for the moderns to be ready. They won't break them out and ship them back to you separately. If you want your pricier books back faster, make separate orders. You can still send them in the same box but CBCS will mail things back when each is ready.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Question for the forum as I want to make sure my understanding is correct, I am submitting an invoice with books with I have selected to be Pressed and also Press Screen. My understanding is that I will be charged the full invoice amount that only shows the Screen when it arrives and then if a Press is needed I will be charged the Press amount at a later date. Is that correct? And just to confirm all the books will be sent back together even if some do need pressing and some do not. Thanks for any help. I haven't used the screen before so wanted to double check but figured I would save customer service an email.
Post 86 IP   flag post
@bennyb86 That's all correct.
Post 87 IP   flag post
369930 87 12